Axe Head patterns for chopping

Connecticut

Dayton

Coupled with above descriptions.

Good examples.

It's not always that clear cut. Some large Daytons may have bits 4-3/4" wide. That's right in the range of smaller connies. The angle where the haft meets the head is what is what sets them apart for me. Connies tend to slope all the way from poll to heel.

That one looks like a Connecticut pattern to me. I really don't see many here in my area. I've only found one around here:

They have a really pleasing shape in my opinion. That Plumb you posted is a honey.

Has Kelly ever made a connie flint edge that was cast and not forged? I'm looking at one that looks strange.

is that a problem?

Depends on priorities. For a user, it is cosmetic, as long as the edge is salvageable. Looks like enough hardened bit area to grind and sharpen properly to me, unless it is really thick at the edge. If it started at 3.5#, though, there's a good bit of the metal lost, so you need to look at it or put up a picture on edge, so we can look at it.

PS Mostly cosmetic, as there are those who insist that only a mirror finish will slip through wood correctly...

Good score. I'd bet dimes to dollars that this axe has a hardened poll.

And BTW, I've seen connies with bits down to about 5 inches.

Ditto on the hardened poll, seeing the pictures. And I'd rehang and use it, too, though I've never had a Connecticut.

I think the 1st time I'd heard of the "Flint Edge" it was you who sang it's praises. I hadn't noticed it, but now that you mention it I see the line on the pole. The seller used white vinegar for the rust. Price and the 5 1/2" bit width got me. It's a little light at 3 LB 5 oz, but I think it's a good 1st connie.

This is a Rixford I bought about a month age, with a 19" handle, it was described as a "hatchet". It has a 2 1/4 pound head with a 4 1/4" bit. Is it a Connie? Also, I can't get rid of the stain on the wood at the head. It was the same on the other side but much lighter, and it sanded/rasped off. This is deep, and I'd have to take off too much wood to get rid of it. Any ideas?

This is a Rixford I bought about a month age, with a 19" handle, it was described as a "hatchet". It has a 2 1/4 pound head with a 4 1/4" bit. Is it a Connie? Also, I can't get rid of the stain on the wood at the head. It was the same on the other side but much lighter, and it sanded/rasped off. This is deep, and I'd have to take off too much wood to get rid of it. Any ideas?

It's a Maine pattern axe although Rixford was a Vermont company. That area made axes before they became standardized into axe patterns. The pattern is earlier than a Connecticut. A Rixford boys axe is a very nice find. I would leave the stain, it doesn't hurt anything. I would also treat the handle with boiled linseed oil if it was mine.

Thanks. I was happy with it before, now I'm happier since it gives me another ax pattern for the start of my small collection. I thought the Maine ax pattern had a narrow bit, no? According to the seller, the handle is not original. Do you know the length of the original boys ax handle?

Back