Axis AFCK

Hey Chris:

rumors are flying around that Benchmade intends to make an Axis AFCK. DO you have any knowledge about this? If not, what would you think about it?

Thanks,

can't blame a guy for trying, and a "no comment" in this case would almost definately mean yes :)

I'm not gonna speak for Chris other than to say that his design put Benchmade on the map. It's nice to see a public forum and a renewed support for his ideas from the industry.

Welcome aboard Chris. Enjoyed our time together at the SHOT show and still intend to bring you in. T Ertle just got back from Kosovo and wanted me to tell you that SEAL stands for sleep, eat, and lift! :D

Originally posted by v-man
Andy,
What is an Axis AFCK??
Thanks Vance

The AFCK is a benchmade, liner lock knife. It is a popular knife and Chris designed it for benchmade. Many people on this forum feel that this knife design coupled with benchmade's axis lock would make the ultimate folder. It would definately be on my must-have list.

Agreed. I recently purchased a Griptilian (the least expensive Axis lock), and love it's smoothness, ambidextrousity :) and positive lock. If the AFCK came out with the Axis, I'd HAVE to get one eventually! Probably sooner than later, so help me God!

(Insert familiar money-sucked out of wallet sounds...)

Karl

Wild Bill,
Thank you for the opportunity to respond to such a juicy question.
I will however restrain myself otherwise I will give my friend Mr. Prisco a heart attack!
I am not totally sure what the axis is but I believe it is the button that slides in a groove/cam.
I do not stay up with benchmade products, lets just say, I should have been born in the old west when people were their own law.
I was shown this design at some show by some guys who were benchmade dealers and they wanted my opinion. After handling the knife for less than 30 seconds I told them,"you don't want to know".
Needless to say they did so I took them away from their table and very easily pointed out why the knife could close by accident in a knife fight!

If you all haven't caught on yet let me make this perfectly clear, I am not a sportsman. I live in a different world I guess, and if a tool is not practical and reliable in the worst case scenario than I have no use for it!

Chris:

Thanks for the reply! If I may tag on a question:
What locks do you trust? Liner, lockback?

How about other new locks?
REKAT's Rolling lock?
Spyderco's compression lock?

I'm still a lockback man myself, but I have a benchmade griptilian with the axis lock and I have found it to be very reliable for hard use. It has stood up to spine whacking, torquing, continued presure on the spine, and all kinds of grips in practice cutting. Is it the placement of the release that makes you dislike this lock?

I also have a Griptilian (BM 550) and was impressed with it's Axis lock and other features. Perhaps CJ hasn't handled one yet? On the other hand, my playing around with it doesn't exactly simulate adrenalinized combat either. However, I can see only one way a grip might release the lock: with what Ken Cox describes as a "paintbrush grip," a saber grip with the thumb more closed, but not all the way as in the hammer grip. This puts the thumb right ahead of the button, and could result in a release, I think. I took some light stabs and slashes at some wood, and found everything to be okay.

The only other Axis lock I've handled was Tom Marker's blue Osborne (BM 940). It is slightly smaller, with an aluminum handle which seems a bit more slippery. Also, the Axis, if installed on the AFCK may really be put in a bad position.

It seems the strength of the lock is not in doubt, but the potential for accidental release? Well, now I am forewarned. One thing I may do is to sand off some of the abrasive edges on the lock buttons proper. This'll make closing it a bit harder, but maybe less likely to fold at the wrong time.

I'm looking forward to reading CJ's opinions on various lock types, and what is his favorite, etc. Maybe he can examine a Griptilian (if he already hasn't) and see if the design has improved this flaw somewhat.

Karl

What I really would like to see as a southpaw is an AFCK with a reversible clip, regardless of the lock. I have a pair of them - right and left handed - and haven't had any problems with the liner locks, which I've submited to the conventional tests.

Unfortunately, Benchmade has discontinued all left-handed versions of their liner lock folders. Still, the AFCK remains one of my favorite designs of all times.

Leo

The BM 710 is IMHO, the closest thing to an Axis AFCK.

People seem to like the 710 a lot, and I'm sure it's justified; but I wish it had the Spyder hole, like the AFCK. For me, it's faster and more positive than thumbstuds. A matter of personal preference, probably.

Leo

Personally, I think the axis lock is a really neat design, but I found that the 710 I owned had some horizontal blade play. The reason I like the AFCK so much, besides the hole, is the deep finger groove. In thrusting, it is much more difficult for your hand to slide onto the blade, whereas the 710, I would hesitate to do so.

Of course, the Spyder hole is far from being the AFCK's only strong point. It's a combination of factors that make it such a great folder. There are those who criticize its blade-to-handle ratio, but I see this concept as more than a little overrated. And even those who hate liner locks usually agree that the ones on the AFCK are well executed.
All in all, it's a class act. I only wish BM had retained the left-handed versions.

Leo

Hi Chris,

You are not going to tell us why you think the AXIS lock could very easily close by accident in a knife fight?

Regards,

David

Guys I need to see pictures of these locks, it is the only way that I can be sure of what you are all talking about.
As I said before I do not always look for latest greatest.
I am a user not a collector, therefore if a liner lock is made properly it will always be my favorite for a combat folder.
The lockback for sure is inappropriate for fighting, and if the Axis is the one they showed me then you can bet your LIFE it can easily close by accident by your fingers inadvertently hitting the release.
I do not mean these locks fail under pressure they fail by your hand or fingers inadvertently hitting or depressing a release.
Blood is an excellent lubricant and grip is paramount in use of the knife.
Before I designed the AFCK I have never seen a liner lock that was completely cut away as a finger groove. That was essential as far as I was concerned.
Even Mr. Emerson politely but truly unnecessarily asked if I minded him copying the idea.
What other kind of locks does Mr. Emerson use?
I wonder why? He uses the liner lock, because for real operators there is nothing better, yet.
That is why real operators like his product.

CJ, I completely agree with you about the liner locks. The most important thing is that your fingers can not dissengage them, that is the biggest problem that I have had with liner locks before, I just purchased one of your 800 plain edge m2 afcks, it should be here on wednesday, so I'll see how it feels.
By the way, here is a picture of the axis lock on a 710 next to a buck strider:

Attachments

• strdbuck3.jpg
    strdbuck3.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,757
Good question David G.

Chris may find a method to describe in writing, or may defer as the answer may in fact be more "demonstrative" by definition.

HOOYAH Chris! Congratulations!

Quick Point to Fellow Forumites, because we all know how the forums can go sometimes. Before Chris and his Forum begin their journey, It seems appropriate to point out a couple of things to those who do not know Chris personally:

Chris does not, and would not be critical of a product, feature, or method without absolute "tactical justification". His opinion is based upon "real world" experiences in AO's where deadly force rules the day, and "knowledge", "conditioned response" (training), "conditioning", not the least of which "equipment" and even "luck" determines whether you live or die. No pride or personal issues here, only "experience" and "real world testing" dictates his answer.

Additionally, knives are no different than shooting, or martial arts in that, "what works for you is what is best". Still, there are fundamentals, rules, methods and even flaws that apply to each and everyone who chooses to responsibly carry, and potentially employ a weapon.

I know nothing, but have had the good fortune of knowing people who do know some things ;). Therefore, I look forward to the opportunity to learn from one of those people, and am likewise honored to call him a buddy as well!

Good luck Chris, and "Congratulations Again" on the new venue!

Out.

Gotta question for you Chris.

The "Sebenza" from Chris Reeve is an "integral frame lock", but secures the blade the same as a liner lock. I apologize if you knew the Sebenza already.

I know you own a "Peck" from CRKT. The lock is basically the same.

Many, including myself, feel the frame lock is the best lock available.

What are your thoughts?

Back