Axis lock flick?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Tom1983, Jul 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom1983

Tom1983

Jul 1, 2016
    I have a question about axis locks specifically, like Benchmade and Ganzo offer. I'd like to preface this by saying that I am not asking about concerns (I am obviously having mine as well), but hoping to hear your experiences and that I would like to avoid the religious war between wrist flickers, thumb flickers and nail nick lovers.

I got a rather big Ganzo some weeks ago. It's the biggest knife I own, my first axis lock and performs marvelously. However, the stud is useless for me because my rather stubby thumbs cannot open the blade or flick the thumb stud on this huge blade. Using two hands to open this knife would be no problem, but... Here comes my curiosity. I was told that disengaging the axis lock by pulling it down with the thumb (and index finger too, if needed) and very gently flicking the blade open is a commonly used technique. Looks fine, feels good. But I'd rather hear from people who have actually been using this type of lock for years. On one side I hear people saying that an axis lock will wear in, not out and that they're built to withstand this. On the other side I hear people saying that the knives were simply not created with this opening technique in mind and that axis flicking is cheating and or/abusing.

What's your experience?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  2. Todd21969

Todd21969

Apr 23, 2013
    I can't comment on the durability of the Ganzo rip off of the Axis lock. Don't own one, never will.

I can say my HK Axis (made by Benchmade) is still doing fine after a year of my owning it. My preferred flicking play toy.

3. painkilleraz

painkilleraz

Jul 5, 2014
    Havent had any problems with Benchmade or Ganzo, and own both, to be honest given price points and the simple fact that I use knives versus worship them as idols, the Ganzos are extremely durable, well made and solid knives.

After destruction testing several and side by side testing versus Spyderco (my preferred brand these days) Benchmade (second preferred brand) and a few other top name brands...Ganzo knives are actually not the knockoffs so many believe, but thats the internutz and murica, we love to believe our rules and opinions are better than reality.

Lmao,

In response, to the direct question, the axis lock is stronger than the Paramilitary 2 from spyderco (arrggg) but harder for those with less finger manipulation ability to use. This is per side by side multiple test/ approach taken.

4. ourgon

ourgon

Feb 27, 2013
    Original axis is very fine lock. Axis stolen by Ganzo is random crap.

5. tokerblue

tokerblue

May 1, 2010
    I've owned a Benchmade Kulgera since 2009 and it is my EDC office carry. So I carry it 4-5 days out of the week.

I have used a slight wrist flick to open it every time. I push the thumb stud lightly and flick it out the rest of the way. I've never had any kind of lock rock. I did have one of the Omega springs replaced about 4 years ago since one of them snapped. The knife still locked open with one functioning Omega spring. I sent it into Benchmade and they replaced it within a week. Another user may have a longer experience, but I still wrist flick it all of the time.

6. painkilleraz

painkilleraz

Jul 5, 2014
    Ever owned one?

Understand, our patents are not internationally recognized. Stolen would mean they need to recognize our laws.

More importantly, every major namebrand knife maker utilizes cheap chinese labor, every single one, at some stage. Seriously, this murica attitude is why they do, things are simply to expensive to make here in bulk anymore.

7. CARRERA50

CARRERA50

Dec 20, 2008
    Can't speak for Ganzo, but my Rittergrip, Osborne 943 and Pardue axis locks have literally been flipped thousands of times without any apparent wear or damage. Don't
    worry about it.

8. ourgon

ourgon

Feb 27, 2013
    I had several pieces in hand. Few pieces very smooth, but rest was into junk. First of all you don't have customer service buying Ganzo, second they're using shitty screws, third that steel is just random thing. You can be lucky and get smooth axis with good heat treatment or junk. I'f you like to gamble it's for you.

9. rycen

rycen Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod Basic Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Integrity is international

10. painkilleraz

painkilleraz

Jul 5, 2014
    At an average of $15 versus the chinese parts, put together in usa $250 versions

Many budget minded people will take the chance, especially since using amazon you can return if they are bad.

Additionally, I have had bad factory new PMIIs and Enduras and numerous benchmades -

Sooo argument invalid.

11. scottyj

scottyj

Jan 29, 2009
    On my 551 Grip I just thumb it open. I don't have the need to flick. On the other hand I wrecked a Spyderco Police by flicking it open all the time. I should be arrested by the knife police for the disgusting amount of lock rock I gave that poor knife.

12. painkilleraz

painkilleraz

Jul 5, 2014
    Define it.

If integrity is buy stamped "made in murica" with chinese slave labor parts

Or buy chinese using murican designs

I see no integrity in either.

Tis why I have been of late NOT buying many new knives and switching my gears to adopt a different approach

Btw, I do hope people are not whining to mods versus being men and simply giving legitimate responses.

13. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    I think you'll find that supporting counterfeiters doesn't play well here. Also accuracy in your statements helps to increase the legitimacy of your words. Every major manufacturer does not use Chinese labor. Try not to say things that aren't true. Talk about invalid argument......

14. ourgon

ourgon

Feb 27, 2013
    I know that Ganzo has clients but I don't think that many of them are knife enthusiasts, they just need as cheap tool as possible and they never heard about Benchmade. But we're in the place rather for enthusiasts.

15. painkilleraz

painkilleraz

Jul 5, 2014

Lmao...

Benchmade/ chinese parts and in some models completely chinese made
    Spyderco/ chinese parts et al.,
    Crkt/ same
    Kershaw/zt - same
    Buck - all has been for year's now
    Schrade - same

Shall i continue?

Seriously, I am using facts.

Five seconds on any major blade shop will show you that.

As for others feelings, youll find I dont care. And since counterfeiting by definition requires adherence to international or national laws, it isnt...ganzo is their own brand. They are not tagging them as something they are not, which if you actually had one you would know.

"Facts require evidence, which I have, and you are ignoring"

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  16. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    Quoted for posterity.

17. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    Post the links to prove your assertions. I would especially like the link that shows BUCK is all Chinese made.

18. Nfd538

Nfd538

Jul 9, 2015
    The BM Axis is great never failed me on any knife, 940's, 943, many grips. The Ritter is one of my favorite folders and is on me now, fun knife to play with. Love the Axis lock.

19. painkilleraz

painkilleraz

Jul 5, 2014
    Nice ;)

20. painkilleraz

painkilleraz

Jul 5, 2014
    Would you like their company direct links or sales links?

And seriously, lmao

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.