Axis lock flick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about everyone get back to the OP's question or quit posting.

Good point.

I have a question about axis locks specifically, like Benchmade and Ganzo offer. I'd like to preface this by saying that I am not asking about concerns (I am obviously having mine as well), but hoping to hear your experiences and that I would like to avoid the religious war between wrist flickers, thumb flickers and nail nick lovers.

I bought a rather big Ganzo some weeks ago. It's the biggest knife I own, my first axis lock and performs marvelously. However, the stud is useless for me because my rather stubby thumbs cannot open the blade or flick the thumb stud on this huge blade. Using two hands to open this knife would be no problem, but... Here comes my curiosity. I was told that disengaging the axis lock by pulling it down with the thumb (and index finger too, if needed) and very gently flicking the blade open is a commonly used technique. Looks fine, feels good. But I'd rather hear from people who have actually been using this type of lock for years. On one side I hear people saying that an axis lock will wear in, not out and that they're built to withstand this. On the other side I hear people saying that the knives were simply not created with this opening technique in mind and that axis flicking is cheating and or/abusing.

What's your experience?

You didn't buy an axis lock. You bought a counterfeit axis lock. Buy a real axis lock and you will be covered if the lock wears out. I've flicked my axis lock knives open, sometimes hard just for fun, and they still work fine.

If you support integrity it will support you back.

I may fix misspellings but I wont change whats posted, if I make a mistake I own it.

Unlike the feminists who have taken over this wonderful used to be nice place...

How did feminism get brought into a subject about a knife lock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may fix misspellings but I wont change whats posted, if I make a mistake I own it.

Unlike the feminists who have taken over this wonderful used to be nice place...

A baking powder???

Back on topic, I carried my mini grip for a couple of years, every day, flicking it open with the thumb stud as well as pulling the lock back and swinging it open and never had any trouble with it. Still have it, still love it.

1. Rules For The Exchange & Discussion Forums - (All Rules Apply Site-Wide)
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/announcement.php?f=699&a=98

SECTION 5 - Miscellaneous -

As fakes and homage items are a legal gray area and obviously hurt the hobby, no fake or homage items may be sold on the Exchange. Members may not knowingly sell unlicensed knockoffs or counterfeit versions of knives (or any other goods) based upon the designs of their legitimate owner, manufacturer or custom maker. Additionally, members may not sell any knife or item known or suspected to be other than as described in terms of its lineage and authenticity.

2. Back off the snide remarks and your opinions might receive more respect. Constant repetition of "lmao" and "murica" match the insults and trolling you seem to enjoy.

"Axis Flip" is the only method I use on the BM 530 and 531, that little post/thumbstud thing on these models plain sucks.

HK Mini Axis stud is just about as bad, so I flip it open every time too.

Haven't hurt any of mine one bit. If I do, Benchmade has my back.

Don't have a Ganzo, never will, so I can't comment on theirs.

Painkiller is right in that Ganzo did not steal designs. Ganzo is a company offering Ganzo knives, not counterfeit Benchmades. The models range from being modified to heavily inspired. Not even getting into that very obvious and very inane assembled in x region with X super secret parts discussion... Quite a few US knife companies ordered Ganzo to make those knives. Ordered Ganzo to make Ganzo knives. I did not say they ordered Ganzo to make US knives. Look that up yourself or contact their customer support. I don't know if BM was one of them and I don't have the time to read through all the links that have been posted in this thread, so sorry that I cannot comment on that. But a bunch of grown adults derailing a thread about one simple question so quickly amused me quite a bit.

I wanted to thank everyone who told me about their experiences. I was thinking of the axis lock as much more of a beater than your average liner lock, so it's good to hear from people who use their knives and don't put them up for display. The Spyerco compression lock was a favorite of mine before trying out this Ganzo knife.

If you support integrity it will support you back.

Oh my god, what a dull slogan. There is nothing integral about a US-American, a German or a Swiss flag being stamped onto a product. I said it before and will say it again: I could not care less where a knife is made, the working conditions are what's important to me. Other than that, I have had Benchmade knives in my hands and decided not to buy them. Not just because of the price tag, but because of the entire attitude and marketing. My decision. I did not see anyone stopping you on your shopping tour, so quit being BM's marketing robot for a second and realize that it's not just you who is free to take his money wherever he pleases. My conclusion has been that no pocket knife could ever be worth that money. No Benchmade, no Ganzo. Nothing built from scratch all by myself. If your purchase is so great and so worth the money, you must not tell everyone they absolutely have to purchase that same product for the same price or they're "doing something wrong". Comes across a little insecure, at best.

Painkiller is right in that Ganzo did not steal designs. Ganzo is a company offering Ganzo knives, not counterfeit Benchmades.

IMGP1521.jpg~original

Ganzo 704 and Benchmade HK Snody. They just didn't steal BM/HK logo.

Painkiller is right in that Ganzo did not steal designs. Ganzo is a company offering Ganzo knives, not counterfeit Benchmades. The models range from being modified to heavily inspired. Not even getting into that very obvious and very inane assembled in x region with X super secret parts discussion... Quite a few US knife companies ordered Ganzo to make those knives. Ordered Ganzo to make Ganzo knives. I did not say they ordered Ganzo to make US knives. Look that up yourself or contact their customer support. I don't know if BM was one of them and I don't have the time to read through all the links that have been posted in this thread, so sorry that I cannot comment on that. But a bunch of grown adults derailing a thread about one simple question so quickly amused me quite a bit.

I wanted to thank everyone who told me about their experiences. I was thinking of the axis lock as much more of a beater than your average liner lock, so it's good to hear from people who use their knives and don't put them up for display. The Spyerco compression lock was a favorite of mine before trying out this Ganzo knife.

Oh my god, what a dull slogan. There is nothing integral about a US-American, a German or a Swiss flag being stamped onto a product. I said it before and will say it again: I could not care less where a knife is made, the working conditions are what's important to me. I have had Benchmade knives in my hands and decided not to buy them. Not just because of the price tag, but because of the entire attitude and marketing. My decision. I did not see anyone stopping you on your shopping tour, so quit being BM's marketing robot for a second and realize that it's not just you who is free to take his money wherever he pleases. My conclusion has been that no pocket knife could ever be worth that money. No Benchmade, no Ganzo. Nothing self built from scratch.

Nice spin.

^^ Looks HEAVILY IMSPIRED to me.....
Title of this thread should be Axis 'like' flick.

I have opened and closed all of my axis-lock knives this way for years and years. Same with a couple Ganzos but it's less smooth or pleasant on the digits.

And if it combines two knives, it's original. :rolleyes:

If spyderco made the PM2 with that handle/blade ratio, I would buy one... The PM2 just feels "off" to me...

But, I will never buy a Ganzo. Regardless of lock, materials used, look, you name it. The unscrupulous usage of some other companies calling card is, for lack of a better phrase, utter ridiculousness.

I will not state my opinion of another person for owning knives of comparable character, but I will often try to limit my involvement.
-------
That being said, if it was an actual "Axis" lock, backed by a reputable company, I would say that the lock would likely last Very long with said opening method.
Hopefully your actual knifes lock bar wasn't made from a car bumper or old soup cans.

Ganzo puts their stolen Axis locks on knives that look exactly like BMs, Spydercos and Rat Folders as well, total copy/rip offs. OP you are plain wrong in your statements.
Those of us who support quality manufacturers don't buy stuff like that.

Gee this looks a lot like a Griptilian hmmmm
http://ganzoknife.com/knife-ganzo-g7393-orange-black-green/

Last edited:
Words have a meaning, so use them responsibly. The claim that this company produces counterfeit products is either a lie or a misinterpretation of the term. Easily disputed either way. We are not in 5th grade, so it's fair for all parties to assume the other can articulate themselves properly. How you guys escalated this into a discussion about Benchmade still bewilders me. You don't seem to have many serious worries. That's nice to hear. Good for you!

Do you have to agree with using designs from other companies? Of course not. That's a very legit reason to say you won't be buying them. But, again, the information is easily accessible on the web. Some companies asked Ganzo to make knives heavily inspired by their models. So making them look like the bad guys is laughable.

Hopefully your actual knifes lock bar wasn't made from a car bumper or old soup cans.

I like those snubbish racist undertones. Never heard those before. Who knows, maybe they will even get internet in China next month?

Those of us who support quality manufacturers don't buy stuff like that.[/url]

You do not get to speak for everybody. I own many brands of knives. None of them came with an unfair or ridiculous price tag. Overpriced equals not worthy of being bought. For me. You can buy as many stones for the price of gold as you would like to.

I can't speak to Ganzo's stolen version of the Axis lock (I don't support anything stolen/counterfeit) but I can tell you from many years of owning BM's that I have never had an Axis lock related issue....and ya, who doesn't flick BM's open!!

I am also not sure if comparing a Ganzo to a BM will give you any real data about the longevity or toughness of the lock...you would first have to confirm that the materials used in the locks are of the same quality.

Exactly. The idea was definitely not to compare lock A to lock B, but to enquire whether a mechanism that differs from liner and frame locks might have even been meant to be flicked. Because that's what immediately came to mind when I saw an axis lock for the first time.

When a moderator cites Bladeforums rules, you are being put on notice to comply with them. We try to leave room for discussion, but on this website, our rules override your dictionary.

1. Rules For The Exchange & Discussion Forums - (All Rules Apply Site-Wide)
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/announcement.php?f=699&a=98

SECTION 5 - Miscellaneous -

As fakes and homage items are a legal gray area and obviously hurt the hobby, no fake or homage items may be sold on the Exchange. Members may not knowingly sell unlicensed knockoffs or counterfeit versions of knives (or any other goods) based upon the designs of their legitimate owner, manufacturer or custom maker. Additionally, members may not sell any knife or item known or suspected to be other than as described in terms of its lineage and authenticity.

2. Back off the snide remarks and your opinions might receive more respect. Constant repetition of "lmao" and "murica" match the insults and trolling you seem to enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back