BA3 question...and maybe a tasty pic or two as well ;-)

Damn, that kinda hurts, but you guys know how it goes. Been working really hard to not have to sell knives I like to buy other knives and have been successful at it for the last 8 months; I guess the pace of incoming new stuff has been a bit higher than my finances can handle, so something has to compromise.

All that being said, even if it does end up going sooner than I hoped, I'm glad I was able to at least share some pictures of it with you guys here. Not nearly enough old school Busse pictures lately...
Go for the unicorn - they don't come around often, if ever. :thumbsup:
There were a couple times I passed on rare ones, only to regret it later. :(

Go for the unicorn - they don't come around often, if ever. :thumbsup:
There were a couple times I passed on rare ones, only to regret it later. :(

Yea man, that's how I'm feeling - in terms of being mint condition, exactly the one that I want, and for a fair price from a good guy, I think I'd be a fool to let it slip by.

Yeah, gotta be linen micarta.

Go for your Grail.

It just better not be mine! :mad::eek:

Oh yes! It's so on!

Now that you mention it, you've got me curious as to what your all time Grail Busse is. Gotta run from the computer right now, but I'll be making my sales ad, and then possibly bothering you (RG) with a message once I'm back...

Cheers guys!

Thanks man! I'll keep that in mind :p

@elof_alv and @P-Easy - thanks for the info and for sharing your beautiful BA's! They really are amongst the best designs that Jerry released. I'd really love to get my hands on a BA or ABA sometime down the line.

gk4ever2 gk4ever2 and P-Easy, I think you're both right about the scales on mine being black linen - it is a much finer pattern than the usual black canvas. Thanks for those links as well gk4ever2 gk4ever2 ....old Jerry posts are some of my favorites to go back and read!

hahahaha Gravelface Gravelface - I know that feeling all too well! Such threads have definitely cost me a lot of money in the past :eek:

I'd love love love if @idahoskunk or redwolfhowling came back to share some of their stash! I remember that amazing pic of the BA/ABA assortment - one of my favorite pics I saved from my earlier days hanging out here.

This is unorthodox and mods I'll happily delete this part below if it's not allowed:

In a strange turn of events, I was just recently offered a borderline-unicorn Busse that I've been after for years. I can maybe even call it my holy-grail Busse (I don't use that term lightly, I usually don't use it at all) - it's a Busse that's been on my dream-knife list since 2011 and everything about this one is better than I ever could have hoped for. As much as I love this Tanker A, I may have to let it go so as to help catch my unicorn while I can. If any of you really like it, feel free to message me soon and I'd be happy to chat - was planning to put it on the exchange soon and am willing to give a nice price on it as well especially if any of you guys commenting here are interested.

Damn, that kinda hurts, but you guys know how it goes. Been working really hard to not have to sell knives I like to buy other knives and have been successful at it for the last 8 months; I guess the pace of incoming new stuff has been a bit higher than my finances can handle, so something has to compromise.

All that being said, even if it does end up going sooner than I hoped, I'm glad I was able to at least share some pictures of it with you guys here. Not nearly enough old school Busse pictures lately...

Shoot me an email. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I've had two Grail Quests. The first was a particular clip point 'Ganza knife that I was too slow to snag. Had a WTB up for a long time. Finally a member reached out and offered his, at a significant premium over the original price. This was near the peak of the Busse Bubble, and I was only too eager to accept. The blade in hand was nothing like I had imagined. Very disappointing. Eventually sold for a loss. Some regrets.

The other Quest had a happy ending, and I wrote up the whole story: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-grail-by-crook-or-by-hook.708371/

No real Grails now. However, there is a pretty cool one-off that I wouldn't mind having. OTOH I still need to get my first Evil Black Rifle....

I've had two Grail Quests. The first was a particular clip point 'Ganza knife that I was too slow to snag. Had a WTB up for a long time. Finally a member reached out and offered his, at a significant premium over the original price. This was near the peak of the Busse Bubble, and I was only too eager to accept. The blade in hand was nothing like I had imagined. Very disappointing. Eventually sold for a loss. Some regrets.

The other Quest had a happy ending, and I wrote up the whole story: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-grail-by-crook-or-by-hook.708371/

No real Grails now. However, there is a pretty cool one-off that I wouldn't mind having. OTOH I still need to get my first Evil Black Rifle....
Buy the rifle first.

Oh nice! I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that thread back in the days when I was lurking almost obsessively before finally signing up when Cupidganzaaa 2011 came along.

As far as the disapointing Grail Quest - sorry it ended up that way. I've definitely been there a couple times before...I think it might be one of the Rites of Passage that we must all eventually go through as knife nuts. Nothing like a good reality check and a dose of disillusionment to help put things into perspective.

I'm inclined to say I agree with tinfoil hat timmy tinfoil hat timmy that you should jump on the rifle :D

Yeah … I've been dithering too long … combine "paralysis by analysis" + my natural procrastination + my natural cheapness = 0

Those are three huge hurdles. I suffer from all three myself.

What's the best xyz component ? Is it that much better? How about ABC option? Should I go aftermarket or through a manufacturer for that specific doo dad?

Haha. The list goes on.

I'll finish it later.

I have a BAIII, only one I have or have ever had, got a fair deal on it from a nice old school dude here. It is for sale, although I may withdraw and use after al these pics have me excited about the user potential!!!

I have also always wanted a tanker A (especially after seeing Jaxx's pics) and passed on this one, as I am in cost reduction mode and I realize (due to quarantine), it is time to move blades to happy homes and I can work on some personal financial goals (debt and school!)...

Gravel - your tag for "Older Benjamin" pellet rifles has me down memory lane! Wehn I was like 12-14 and after, I had a gun blue single shot pump that said attained over 1000PSI on 10 pump max. It was .22 caliber and I could shoot bees out of big Daisy's with it via iron sights from decent distance...full walnut stock and pump grip. I also had a Benjamin walnut grip, nickel-silver plated (quasi gold looking in certain light) single shot pistol that was Co2 powered....(.22) also), as I was never a .187??? guy...we would pick off turtles across the bayou in Cocodrie with the pieces, both presented to me in Cocodrie in successive years as a "yoot"...I think my dad gave them away when I moved out in a storm! Along with some Cuban guayaveras my grandad gave me from when he went to Cuba with an American Delegation to advise on sustainable chicken farming!!! HE was a "chicken doctor" out of LSU's school of poultry science when they had one. I was more pissed about the shirts at the time...

C

I had BAIII Le #301, sold it under one of those first refusal agreements. Pretty sure it’s long gone but I’d love to find that one again. Wife shaved my back with it one day.....

ahhhh good old days!

Cam, look out for a text!

Those old Benjamin’s are great, Gravelcub like to bring one to keep the alligators from stealing fish out in Manchac. They’re easy to work on and we’ve got them in .177 ( you were close) 5mm (20 cal) and .22

It all depends on the “unicorn”.

share with the class, which is it?!

Technically it's not as much of a unicorn since there were almost 10 times more of them made than these desert Tanker A's, but I've wanted an OG 1/300 SHBM for a long time now. I found a new, unused 1/300 for a reasonable price from a really nice guy who was willing to let me take it off his hands (thus the unicorn factor). I don't have anything in the 10" range right now so what better way to fill that slot than with the one Busse I've wanted for quite a few years now.

I have a nice fixed blade in 3v with a great HT and made by a close friend with almost identical dimensions as the Tanker A, so as cool as the Tanker A is, it would have been sitting more than it should. That being said, that Tanker A was so nice, I wouldn't be surprised if I try to buy it back later down the line when funds allow - just too spread thin to keep everything right now...so it goes.

Pretty excited about what's coming so I think it was a good move in the end.

Something about 10 inches of INFI at 62RC just gets me going I guess :p

And yes - HH - that handle and config on the Tanker A is awesome - black linen, pretty freaking cool - glad you got to hold and behold!!!

I like that … Gravelcub. We used to have 'little resingirl'. But she graduated HS four years ago, immediately moved out, and got a job. Not so little anymore; we are so proud to have launched a young adult. And she EDC a Swiss Army Classic. Her friends are frequently amazed with all the useful stuff she has in her backpack/purse. I can't take credit for that. :D

I have a BAIII, only one I have or have ever had, got a fair deal on it from a nice old school dude here. It is for sale, although I may withdraw and use after al these pics have me excited about the user potential!!!

That leprechaun BAIII you have listed is pretty sweet Cam...I'm sure it would be a great user if you ended up keeping it. Don't be surprised if I come back knocking asking about it once my finances have recovered a bit ;)

I hear you about trying to be somewhat sensible with finances and debt which is why I ended up selling 5 or 6 different knives this week...trying to keep out-flow of knives proportional to in-flow of knives but easier said than done sometimes.

Sounds like some great memories with those pellet rifles too :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, OG SHBM are very nice. Good on ya!

Even before my time, the small number of Busse cognoscenti would pass around the then very limited number of Busse knives to each other at near cost. That is part of how the amazing Busse Community was built; friends helping friends.

Technically it's not as much of a unicorn since there were almost 10 times more of them made than these desert Tanker A's, but I've wanted an OG 1/300 SHBM for a long time now. I found a new, unused 1/300 for a reasonable price from a really nice guy who was willing to let me take it off his hands (thus the unicorn factor). I don't have anything in the 10" range right now so what better way to fill that slot than with the one Busse I've wanted for quite a few years now.

I have a nice fixed blade in 3v with a great HT and made by a close friend with almost identical dimensions as the Tanker A, so as cool as the Tanker A is, it would have been sitting more than it should. That being said, that Tanker A was so nice, I wouldn't be surprised if I try to buy it back later down the line when funds allow - just too spread thin to keep everything right now...so it goes.

Pretty excited about what's coming so I think it was a good move in the end.

Something about 10 inches of INFI at 62RC just gets me going I guess :p
I honestly forgot about the HRC on the SHBM's...again, no wonder they are in their own class...and no wonder why they perform so freaking well at everything!

Oh yeah, OG SHBM are very nice. Good on ya!

Even before my time, the small number of Busse cognoscenti would pass around the then very limited number of Busse knives to each other at near cost. That is part of how the amazing Busse Community was built; friends helping friends.

As you can imagine, I am sooo freakin excited to finally have one coming my way - Even more so that it's such a nice example (slotted bolts done by Cobalt if I recall correctly)

And resinguy, I recently started to enjoy this phenomenon of Busse guys kindly passing knives to each other behind the scenes...not at cost necessarily, but knowing what some of these knives cost 5, 8, 10 years ago when the secondary was pretty crazy, I'm totally happy with the pricing I've found. My BAD and now the 1/300 were both acquired this way and it's been really cool getting to know some nice guys and communicate and further strengthen the sense of community around these fantastic knives. If all goes well, a couple more from my Busse hit list will be coming in soon enough too. Awesome stuff all around - you Hogs are some of my favorite people in the knife community.

COPIUOS COPIUOS Cam I had forgotten the 1/300's had a slightly different HT protocol until recently - it only adds to the appeal, that's for sure :-D

OK, back to work now ;-)

Last edited:
... I've wanted an OG 1/300 SHBM for a long time now. I found a new, unused 1/300 for a reasonable price from a really nice guy who was willing to let me take it off his hands (thus the unicorn factor). I don't have anything in the 10" range right now so what better way to fill that slot than with the one Busse I've wanted for quite a few years now.
Congrats on a great knife, one of my favorite Busses! :cool:

Back