1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Back from Afghanistan...

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by ROCK6, Jul 14, 2012.

1. ROCK6

ROCK6 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 8, 2004
    Well, I’ve been home just over a month and it’s been busy after a short six month tour to Afghanistan:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sponsored the Canadians for email accounts, so they invited me to a few BBQ’s and were great team members…

[​IMG]

Since my return, we've done a little hiking in WA Cascades (more like Eastern WA, in Cashmere), a few hikes in the Olympic National Forest and traveling all over western WA an Seattle. We made it up to Whidbey Island for a couple of days to spend with some of my family…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My good friend has a cabin on the eastern side of the cascades and it was great weather!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ROCK6

Feb 8, 2004
    Of course we had a little fun around the sound…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We did a couple hikes up into the western side of the Olympics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ROCK6

Feb 8, 2004
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ROCK6

Feb 8, 2004
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As soon as we got home, our son had a youth trip to Daytona Beach and my wife and I did our favorite hike to Panther Creek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We’ve done a few mountain bike rides as well and we’re all a little beat up with some rough riding!

Wow…a lot of catching up in a short time and a few more trips planned before school starts…

It’s good to be back!

ROCK6

5. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    Thanks for sharing the pictures. It certainly looks like you're really happy to be home. I know the feeling.

6. coaldigger

coaldigger

Jan 27, 2007
    Glad your back home safe... Thank you for your service 'Ol Bud ! Glad you got to spend some fun time with your family !

7. protourist

protourist Have you ever caught me lying to you before? Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Welcome home. Thanks for sharing and thanks for your service.

8. fmajor007

fmajor007

Apr 1, 2010
    Glad you're back "home" with all your parts and no new holes/scars. Enjoy all the lush green undergrowth and water you can soak in before the next "hitch".

9. Tylerxp

Tylerxp

Jul 10, 2012
    That awesome. Welcome home.

My dad was stationed on Whidbey Island when I was a kid and we loved it there.

10. mewolf1

mewolf1 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Happy to see you getting stress free dirt time!!! Thanks so much for your service!!!!

11. Chris Pierce

Chris Pierce Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 15, 2006
    I just moved to the other side of the mountains. I forgot how much I enjoy the forests out that way. Here it's just too dry and uninviting. It looks like you are enjoying yourself out West.

12. RWT

RWT

Mar 15, 2011
    Glade you made it back. What pack are you using?

13. DOC-CANADA

DOC-CANADA

Apr 14, 2006
    Glad to see you back, Rock.

Doc

14. cole.manns

cole.manns

Jul 12, 2012
    Thanks for your service man.

15. grunt soldier

grunt soldier Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 4, 2009
    glad your back safe man. looks like you been having a blast since you been back. what is your front bag there you have on in all those pics? hill people?

16. mtnfolk mike

mtnfolk mike

Mar 21, 2006
    glad you're back home Rock.. thanks for the pics..

17. Daft Slice 1986

Daft Slice 1986

Jun 3, 2012
    rad pics, & thank you very much for your service. gald you made it back safe

18. ROCK6

Feb 8, 2004
    Thanks guys! Too be honest, the thanks should go out to my wife (and other service member spouses). Having to work full time, deal with deaths in the family, take care of the house and other issues, graduate our daughter and keep our 13 year old son entertained…that was the true battle area. I picked up a new mountain bike for my son and wife and she has the bruises to prove it. He’s a good kid, but 100mph and my wife kept up pretty good.

He’s now just wanting to make up for the past 6-7 months of my being gone; I’m exhausted and going to work now is kind of nice for a little break. We only have about three weeks of summer break left, so we still have a big backpacking trip planned, swimming with dolphins down in Panama City with my wife’s sister and BIL and a few more shooting range days…plus we have four more State Parks to mountain bike for some T-shirt challenge. Throw in some fishing, a little kayaking, swimming at the lake and brushing off some of the rusty bushcrafting skills and I’ll be caught up!

The pack is a Mystery Ranch 3 Day Assault Pack (aka 3DAP). It has their funky zipper configuration that opens up well and excellent suspension. I used it as my 72-hour-travel bag when in Afghanistan and loved it. I really wanted to try in out at home on more recreational activities. I’m really loving it…

Yeah, that’s HPG’s Kit Bag and my preferred method of carry when outdoors. It works equally well kayaking and mountain biking. Unless you’re swimming (or take a fall), it also keeps your pistol and essentials high and dry if you’re hiking around streams and creeks. The other advantage is that it balances your pack out nicely. My wife took a short video of me practicing the draw with hiking poles…worked nicely as we were both using them for the first time (wife has a slightly sprained knee and the poles were just the ticket).

[​IMG]

ROCK6

19. milani74

milani74

Feb 15, 2009
    Welcome home Rock! I think I recognized a few of those spots that you posted. Looks like you had a fun filled time re-connecting with the family that you will cherish always!

20. grunt soldier

grunt soldier Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 4, 2009
    thanks sir. I have been contemplating getting one for a couple months now. I have been trying to decide between it and the kifaru koala. I think I'll give it a shot