Backpack advice requested

I have a TAD Litespeed, love the bag but would like something bigger and less tactical looking. Still would like heavy duty, with multiple compartments for storage and water bottle storage. What would you all suggest? Thanks!

Osprey packs, well made, with a forever warranty, I have one that I've carried almost everyday for about 10 years, it's been to 3 different countries, and on dozens of trips, the elastic is finally starting to wear out, but ripped seams, bad zippers, or holes. I also have about 5 other of various sizes for backpacking and camping.

Osprey packs, well made, with a forever warranty, I have one that I've carried almost everyday for about 10 years, it's been to 3 different countries, and on dozens of trips, the elastic is finally starting to wear out, but ripped seams, bad zippers, or holes. I also have about 5 other of various sizes for backpacking and camping.
Osprey has a couple I really like. Thanks!

Thanks! Good looking gear!

I've bought a number of HPG Packs used and they essentially last forever. 3 recent Tarahumara's were 3-5 years old, threw them in the washing machine and replaced 1 strap ($10 from First Spear) and they are brand new. The V2 Conner and Umlindi are next on my list.

I've bought a number of HPG Packs used and they essentially last forever. 3 recent Tarahumara's were 3-5 years old, threw them in the washing machine and replaced 1 strap ($10 from First Spear) and they are brand new. The V2 Conner and Umlindi are next on my list.
Nice! Thanks for advice. I'm mulling over a few options now

I have a TAD Litespeed, love the bag but would like something bigger and less tactical looking. Still would like heavy duty, with multiple compartments for storage and water bottle storage. What would you all suggest? Thanks!
Is this for actual backpacking on trails or a euphemism for a travel bag of some sort? There are tons of good trail bags listed in this thread but for more general travel/bugout/get home, a carry-on with straps may be more useful. As I do nothing more than day hikes anymore (with one of a variety of Mountainsmith lumbar packs) I tend towards the "travel" pack design instead which is what I use when traveling in my van, etc.

Here's a range from Osprey which is what I'm talking about: https://www.osprey.com/us/en/category/travel/travel-packs/

Is this for actual backpacking on trails or a euphemism for a travel bag of some sort? There are tons of good trail bags listed in this thread but for more general travel/bugout/get home, a carry-on with straps may be more useful. As I do nothing more than day hikes anymore (with one of a variety of Mountainsmith lumbar packs) I tend towards the "travel" pack design instead which is what I use when traveling in my van, etc.

Here's a range from Osprey which is what I'm talking about: https://www.osprey.com/us/en/category/travel/travel-packs/
It's gonna doing split duty, some outdoors and some travel

You might consider something other than a top-loader, traditional backpack then. Osprey is one of many companies that makes good split-duty designs. I gave up on top loaders many years back.

Not recommending this specific bag but rather the design approach. Not good for multiday backpacking IMO but good for everything else. I use another company's version of this:
https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/carry-on-backpack

I use something from ebags of which their current model for what I have is the Mother Load: https://www.ebags.com/backpacks/tra...XXXX_color=Garnet&cgidmaster=travel-backpacks

Both of these items are specifically travel backpacks so may not be in the ballpark of what you want.

Last edited:
You might consider something other than a top-loader, traditional backpack then. Osprey is one of many companies that makes good split-duty designs. I gave up on top loaders many years back.

Not recommending this specific bag but rather the design approach. Not good for multiday backpacking IMO but good for everything else. I use another company's version of this:
https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/carry-on-backpack

I use something from ebags of which their current model for what I have is the Mother Load: https://www.ebags.com/backpacks/tra...XXXX_color=Garnet&cgidmaster=travel-backpacks
I like the multi carry options

I like the multi carry options
I am no longer a backpacker (and haven't been since my early 30's), I'm a traveler but don't like conventional luggage. I mostly travel in my camping van (or Land Cruiser) and this along with a small daypack meets my needs far better. If I were to fly somewhere, these would be the perfect way to bring luggage that can be carried on and not dragged around with wheels and a handle (although many people prefer that instead). It all really depends on what your needs are. For me, as I said earlier, it's not only for travel but a bugout/safety/have a well equipped vehicle bag, etc. For straight up backpacking, there are better choices. For a bag that does a little of everything pretty damn well, this design is preferable to me.

I am no longer a backpacker (and haven't been since my early 30's), I'm a traveler but don't like conventional luggage. I mostly travel in my camping van (or Land Cruiser) and this along with a small daypack meets my needs far better. If I were to fly somewhere, these would be the perfect way to bring luggage that can be carried on and not dragged around with wheels and a handle (although many people prefer that instead). It all really depends on what your needs are. For me, as I said earlier, it's not only for travel but a bugout/safety/have a well equipped vehicle bag, etc. For straight up backpacking, there are better choices. For a bag that does a little of everything pretty damn well, this design is preferable to me.
I am looking for a jack of all trades bag. I don't sleep on the ground anymore, I'm too old

I am looking for a jack of all trades bag. I don't sleep on the ground anymore, I'm too old
Me too, my friend. That's why I camp out of my van for longer trips and my Land Cruiser for overnighters. Take a look at this category of bags we're discussing and see if they might be an alternative. For vehicle and tent based camping and even air travel, they might be just the ticket.

Back