1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Backpackers! What knives are you carrying?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by TAH, May 31, 2018.

1. TAH

TAH Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2001
    It's that time of year again. Next weekend, I'm going into my 28th season of backpacking. Being a knife nut, I've changed up my knives over the years trying to find that perfect combination of performance without excessive weight. For the last few years, I've settled on these two and I don't see changing anytime soon.

Mora Companion and Victorinox Bantam...

[​IMG]

Have you found your perfect backpacking knife/knives? :)

2. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek

May 19, 2007
    Right now the light weight pair is a BM bugout and mora eldris, but that's not a terribly hard and fast rule. The bugout is however pretty near perfect as a walking folder, I can see it and a SAK classic taking on pretty near anything short of building a cabin.

waverave and TAH like this.
  3. kgd

kgd

Feb 28, 2007
    Last edited: May 31, 2018
  4. TAH

Jul 3, 2001
    Thanks kgd. Love the Mora, but not the original sheath. The Kydex sheath takes the package to the next level.

5. KingMC

KingMC The Pun-isher Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Fiddleback Bushfinger and Becker BK20, but excess weight isn't a big concern of mine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    87A1D484-8DFE-4D54-B28D-0DBA5FF49EB4.jpeg 1A5120C8-3C91-44A7-8B9C-8A1112DD44D9.jpeg I usually carry a Mission MPS Ti-10 sheath knife and a custom SAK 91mm Ti waiter with pocket clip and saw.

jmh33, ilten and TAH like this.
  7. Melvin-Purvis

Melvin-Purvis Not a Registered User Staff Member Super Mod

Jan 14, 2001
    I read the title and instantly thought, 'Well, a Mora Companion, and some type of Swiss Army knife.' (These days, I'm sporting an original lightweight 1st gen. Leatherman Tool with its tooled-leather belt sheath, bought in great condition at a recent yard sale for $5; tickled pink) - then, read the original post, saw the photos, and chuckled. Good on ya TAH, good on ya. :D

jux t and TAH like this.
  8. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    If you are counting ounces, a Mora Companion without a doubt would be my choice. I'm not a major backpacker and usually carry something more robust in the woods along with a SAK. I don't generally count ounces. I look at the available space I have and choose what I will carry.

TAH likes this.
  9. TAH

Jul 3, 2001
    Actually, the Mora Companion and aftermarket Kydex sheath weigh 5.3 oz and the Vic Bantam weighs 1.2 oz. Hardcore backpackers would frown at carrying 6.5 oz of knife related stuff. :rolleyes:

10. tknife

tknife Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 1999
    For backpacking I have landed on a Mora Companion (I also use an aftermarket Kydex sheath) which I carry in my pack. I also either carry a Vic Farmer, or more often a Spyderco Delica in my pocket. I am not extremely weight conscious, I have just landed on these as favorites.

buckfynn, WILLIAM.M and TAH like this.
  11. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    Spyderco Sprig is the first thing I grab. After that it depends on what I plan on doing. For folders I like the Manix 2 LW or BM 940.
    I may also take my RAT RC6 or collapsible tree saw depending on the circumstance.
    [​IMG]

12. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    A Vic Farmer and a GEC paring knife.

TAH likes this.
  13. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    [​IMG]

Not much need for anything more around here.

315, jmh33, TAH and 1 other person like this.
  14. Low_rez

Low_rez Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 15, 2011
    I only carry one knife and it usually is an Esee Izula. Small and tough. I also picked up a Tops Shango XL and a small custom Kiridashi neck knife which I have yet to try out this summer. For car camping or short trips, I also pack a Gransfords Bruks wildlife hatchet for campfires.

IMG_8387.jpg
    IMG_8386.jpg

knoefz, bacpacker, TAH and 1 other person like this.
  15. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I don't think you could have a more practical combination. If I were to swap anything though the Lumberjack, or recently named Walker, offers you the saw on the same length as the Bantam. I've used it for a variety of things and it's quite capable.

[​IMG]

jux t, jmh33, Pomsbz and 1 other person like this.
  16. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]

jmh33, Sharp_Canadian and TAH like this.
  17. Mack

Mack Gluaiseann an ba'd, ni' ghluaiseann an cuan Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    My JK Rule #9 is, in my opinion, perfect for backpacking.
    [​IMG]
    Big enough to do most cutting chores and small enough to always carry.

fishiker, buckfynn, ty_higg and 4 others like this.
  18. Phixt

Phixt

May 28, 2016
    Neck Knives. Plus Silky Saw Accell if I'm planning on processing large downfall.

19. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson

Sep 3, 2012
    Nice thread, Tom.

[​IMG]

20. TAH

Jul 3, 2001
    Nice knives and hiking staff, Sam. :) :thumbsup: