Backpackers! What knives are you carrying?

thought about geting a Kydex sheath for it but the standard one is fine for now

My son, nephew, and nephew-in-law all carry a Black/Grey LMF knife. As for the Kydex sheath, it was worth every penny. Really gives the package a feel of quality.

Mora Companion and Victorinox Bantam...

Have you found your perfect backpacking knife/knives? :)

Good choices! I use just about the same thing. Victorinox Hiker (of course) and sometimes a Mora Companion. I tend to do much more day hiking now, though, with increasing responsibilities and whatnot.

I do the occasional dayhike. Usually around 6-8 miles. No overnighters. I like a fixed blade just for peace of mind. The heaviest that I carry would be an Enzo trapper. Most of the time I grab a mora of some sort (classic, companion, eldris). Used to have an izula that I liked a lot. I'm hoping to get a becker bk 11. That seems like it would be pretty sweet. I always have a midsized modern folder as well. I love the idea of a SAK, but never seem to actually ever use one. If I find one cheap, I'll probably try one out again. It's been awhile.

Reactions: TAH
Mec003, any of the big SAKs (one hand openers) will do anything your mid-sized modern folder coud do... An then some.

Get one, you will nor regret it. The saw is also a great adition.

These go with me a lot. I change it up sometimes because.... well, for no good reason really.
DFK ( Daniel Fairly ) Ti Backpacker and a SAK Farmer
14076663795_9588097783_h.jpg

For our distance trips (usually between 100-150 miles), I'm a gram-Nazi. While a fixed blade isn't really needed, I still force myself to bring one...one of my "comfort" items. I've downsized to a Leatherman PS, simply for the mini-scissors and pliers; a Spyderco Dragonfly (now in bright orange), and a Mora #2/0 with a Kydex sheath:

ROCK6

B53B7A96-E27E-4930-AA1F-A24249CB7087.jpeg The knife was made by Bob Lessard, also known as sakmodder. I ordered a custom Waiter from Bob with plain scales. I later bought a used skeletonized Tinker, also made by Bob, and switched the handles. Here is a picture of both knives.

I carry the same lockblade that I always carry, but the pack means that I have to move it to the front pocket. That's ok, cause I dont have the car keys there, like I normally would. In the pack is the Leatherman Crunch, with the saw blades that get held in the visegrip of the tool. i"ve never been very impressed by what a mere belt knife can do in the woods, compared to all the things that can be done with a multi-tool and saw. If I need to split a round, I can start a kerf with the saw blade and finish the split by batoning 1-2 wooden wedges. Splitting wood can sometimes also be achieved by cutting halfway thru the wood and then swinging it against the ground, or a nearby tree.

I long distance backpack
I have backpacked for years and I have minimal use of a knife
I am too old to carry any spare weight
A SAK Classic is my FAK and nail hygiene
My allround knife is the Opinel #7 in carbon, which does everything I need

I do not light fires as most of the time they are banned
But if I do, I carry an Opinel #12 saw, that is very lightweight and very sharp
Half saw a piece and bang it on a rock and the wood splits

If I am travelling and I self cook, then an Opinel #8 SS and a SAK waiter that has a bottle/can opener in one and corkscrew/awl

I have several different knives that I generally select from when going out for a weekend. Given that I am a big guy, and the weight of my tools doesn't generally bother me, I couldn't even tell you what they weigh. Also, most of what I do is car camping at local reserves with some dayhiking thrown in, so I've never really had to worry about making it out of somewhere on foot.

When packing my bag, I'll usually throw a few knives in:

Folders:
- ALOX SAK Farmer (this always goes)
- Leatherman Charge TI (this always goes)
- Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter (this always goes)
- Cold Steel Recon 1 XHP (this often goes)
- Older Case four blade knife (just in case some whittling happens)

Fixed:
- Becker BK9 - (sometimes)
- SwampRat Rodent 9 (this usually goes, especially if I plan to do some wood processing)
- Schrade SCHF42 (most of the time)
- Condor Golok (sometimes)
- GSO 4.7 (sometimes)

Tools:
- Standard bowsaw (if there's going to be heavy wood processing)
- Estwing large hatchet (ditto)

In most of the areas I camp, there's almost always deadfall year-round, so I don't usually have to worry about processing anything, but sometimes, I'll get a spot or two of chopping in just for a bit of fun.

Last edited:
For a day hike I keep a shuffle or DF2 in my pocket and a rat 1 in the bag. I havent done an overnight in a while but I would add a fixed blade for sure. Still trying to pick that one out because my SOG Seal Pup has fallen out of favor with me.

For our distance trips (usually between 100-150 miles), I'm a gram-Nazi. While a fixed blade isn't really needed, I still force myself to bring one...one of my "comfort" items. I've downsized to a Leatherman PS, simply for the mini-scissors and pliers; a Spyderco Dragonfly (now in bright orange), and a Mora #2/0 with a Kydex sheath:

ROCK6

If you're already carrying the Mora, why bother with little Spyderco?

If you're already carrying the Mora, why bother with little Spyderco?
I do a similar setup and here is my reasoning...Spyderco goes in my pocket for quick easy cuts, fixed on or in the pack for camping duties. I dont usually need to access the fixed while on the move so I keep it secured. Easier to carry.

I do a similar setup and here is my reasoning...Spyderco goes in my pocket for quick easy cuts, fixed on or in the pack for camping duties. I dont usually need to access the fixed while on the move so I keep it secured. Easier to carry.

Not arguing. This is 100% me thinking this through for my own situation. For many years, I've adhered to the "keep a knife on me" policy, but I'll be the first to point out that my pack is always with me (or close enough to me). I generally keep my pocket knife in my fanny pack (carried at the 12 o'clock position, just under my hip belt buckle) but in the past few years I've noticed that I really don't encounter cutting chores while actively hiking that can't be done with the Squirt, which is also in the fanny pack. That is, my pocket knife just clutters up my fanny pack unused until it's lunch or dinner time, in which case my pack is off and the food bag is out. I'm definitely leaning towards just moving my pocket knife to the food bag or, just replacing it with a fixed blade since there is no carry problems at that point.

So...

Question: While you are on the move, do you ever encounter the need for "quick and easy" cuts that could be done easily with something like your small Spyderco but that could NOT be done with a mini-multitool like the Squirt?

Again, this is just me thinking this through. I may end up changing how I carry stuff.

Not arguing. This is 100% me thinking this through for my own situation. For many years, I've adhered to the "keep a knife on me" policy, but I'll be the first to point out that my pack is always with me (or close enough to me). I generally keep my pocket knife in my fanny pack (carried at the 12 o'clock position, just under my hip belt buckle) but in the past few years I've noticed that I really don't encounter cutting chores while actively hiking that can't be done with the Squirt, which is also in the fanny pack. That is, my pocket knife just clutters up my fanny pack unused until it's lunch or dinner time, in which case my pack is off and the food bag is out. I'm definitely leaning towards just moving my pocket knife to the food bag or, just replacing it with a fixed blade since there is no carry problems at that point.

So...

Question: While you are on the move, do you ever encounter the need for "quick and easy" cuts that could be done easily with something like your small Spyderco but that could NOT be done with a mini-multitool like the Squirt?

Again, this is just me thinking this through. I may end up changing how I carry stuff.
No. But I dont carry a multitool when hiking.

Back