backpacking axe?

Yep. Plus, if you look closely, the edge on a thick knife hardly touches the wood when batoning.

To the OP: I also recomend the gerber/fiskars but like everyone else, I usually don't take one backpacking.

What knife do your recommend for batoning through a 6' x 10" dead fall birch?

Estwing Hatchet.....

For backpacking? Maybe if I'm bringing a mule...

The poor mule.

The large imported Firestone axe is 11 1/2" long and weighs 12 1/2 oz. The small model is 9" long and weighs 6.75 oz. I suspect that these are considerably lighter than a kuhkri or bolo. Prices are in the $20-$30 range.

My CS trailboss is actually quite a good axe for the money. Hudson bay style head/hickory handle, not a bad poormans small forest axe. I have limbed, chopped and split a fair bit with mine and has held up well the past 3 years.

you might try to find an old hatchet at a pawn shop around you... that would be my first place to look if it were me...

their usually are some decent hatchets around in those old pawn shops...

Or check for local estate sales. And I agree with the idea of looking for an old hatchet. More functional than a hawk, IMO (better profile for chopping, decent poll for driving stakes, etc.). Even the new import hatchets at the hardware store ain't that bad after some sharpening. (Go ahead, throw rotten fruit at me - I said it.) Only trouble is that the new ones seldom come with sheaths. The Estwings do. Or you can make your own sheath.

If you want an old hatchet, I have about 6 right now I could part with. All re done with new handles, and sharpened ready to go. No sheath though.

Jay or anyone reading this can you recommend a decent parang that is in the 50 or< price range. A user not an art piece. I have machetes but was thinking about a parang for compactness.I think it would be useful where I live.

Have you looked at the Condor Golok or Parang? They are under $50 with a heavy leather sheath. They are well constructed, well balanced, and feel great in the hand. The Golok is my favorite machete.

I've got the parangs but all my distributors are out of goloks at the moment. :eek:

How about a woodsman Pal? I have had one for years and to be honest never really used it. Would it work for backpacking trip?

How about a woodsman Pal? I have had one for years and to be honest never really used it. Would it work for backpacking trip?

It won't be out for another year but the Baryonyx Machete would be a good substitute as well. I use mine for everything, including wood processing.

It won't be out for another year...

Tease

If I had any way to speed it along I would! :D But seeing as how it's slated for 2013 production and 2012 items are only just on the brink of hitting shelves that gives you some good indication of about when to expect it. :)

Yes but it's a prototype I whipped up. Ordered the steel, had it water cut, had the blanks heat treated, then had the scales rough-shaped and slapped on for me because I was really busy at the time. I also had the edges rough ground while the scales were being done and I finished out the grinding and shaping myself. I had 4 made because of the minimum order for the steel. I kept one for myself, sent one to Condor for evaluation, and sold off the other two--one of which went to a childhood friend of mine.

The prototypes are full tang with micarta scales and are in full 1/8" thick which is actually thicker than I'd like. When they whip up a sample for me (probably towards the end of summer) I'll be having them try it in 3/32" instead. Should still be plenty stiff and chop like an axe but significantly reduce the weight. The whole point of the design was to concentrate mass behind the cutting edge rather than to the sides. :)

Snow & Neally 3/4 single bit Hudson's Bay model is my choice for backpacking. This style of ax has been carried by backpackers, teamsters, wranglers and prospectors for a couple hundred years. Build a cabin, open a can, pare your nails, it can do it all. (Just don't loan it to anyone.)

A rafting axe would be nice too. Dang--Council should make one of THOSE!

Back