Bad lanyard experience

JackHammer

Gold Member
First let me say that if you want a good lanyard experience use Eric from Mashed Cat. Very professional and great workmanship. That is the "Good".
For the "Bad and the Ugly" I nominate a character named Bazlur Rahman who has a website www.paracordlanyard.com and also sells on eBay as "Bazlu".
A few months ago I contacted him to have a lanyard made for a Busse SAR 6 and he said he'd make it and send it out quickly. It cost me $20. A week or so later, I receive the lanyard and notice these 2 ugly burn marks where the cord is melted. Now I understand that a burn mark is necessary but most makers try to hide it or at least blend it in so it is not that noticeable. As you can see from the pictures that I provided, these marks are so noticeable that your attention goes right to them and takes away from the lanyard as a whole.
So I email him and ask why these marks are so large and he says that is how they are made and it cannot be avoided. I say that I can't accept this and wish to send it back to be repaired or for a refund. Now he starts getting abusive, stating that I have no experience in these matters so I send a few pictures of other lanyards I have which do not have quarter inch burn marks and I also remind him that his own website doesn't show anything this ugly.
I offered to pay return shipping but after receiving a few more insults from him I openned a case against him at Paypal and sent the pictures to them. They ended up ruling in my favor last week and my account should soon be credited the $20 but as of this morning, I hear he wants to appeal their decision so it may drag on a bit longer.
Anyway, I just wanted to give you guys a heads up about this schmuck so you can take your business elsewhere.

JackHammer

Gold Member
I figured after showing him examples of lanyards made by others that he would see the light and offer to fix it. I even sent this pic of the knife asking how I could deface it with that lanyard. Instead he tells me that I'm imagining it.
To me it would be comparable to talking to a beautiful woman and not being able to get over the piece of spinach stuck on her tooth.

Jackhammer, there would be no way I would accept those lanyards in the state they are in. You are correct because the burn area was the first place my eyes went to when I opened the pictures.
A fellow forum member ( HAKnPocket ) gifted 2 lanyards to my wife at Christmas for her Izula that Jforbush gifted her & the pink one I got her for her victory. These were absolutely perfect. No burn marks, tight knots, & actually long enough to be of use. I sent him a P/M @ Christmas to thank him, but have not had a chance to do it on the forum until now. His lanyards are top shelf.
Hope everything works out for you with P/P, no reason you should be stuck with poor craftsmanship.
Be safe.

JDieseljoe69

Full Throttle Tools
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
It looks pretty horrible to me. Not very good workmanship. I also would have sent it back. Try the gentleman here on Blade Forums, name u812, he makes nice lanyards from what I have seen and they seem to be priced very reasonable. I have 2 of his monkeyfist and they are top notch.

i can tell you exactly why the lanyard ended up with those fat blobs on the burnt ends. they were trimmed to far from the body of the lanyard and the person who made it just melted all of the excess paracord down into ugly large blobs.

I guess to each is own, but that would not bother me in the slightest.

It appears to me to be a well made lanyard that the tag ends of the light colored paracord have been well secured by melting. This assures it will not unravel on you.

My eyes went directly to the cool blue beads. ;)

But again, to each his own.... if you are not satisfied he should refund your money.

But IMO, it would be a real stretch to say because of that his lanyards are defective or ugly. They appear to be well done. :)

JackHammer

Gold Member
I appreciate all of your comments and if I'm in the market for another lanyard, I'll note your suggestions. Perhaps if I ordered one that was all black or dark brown I could overlook it. But with the brighter colors, the marks just stood out too much and while referring to them as "ugly" is a matter of choice for each individual, they were not as ugly as the sellers disposition.

Yeah it's a shame the guy got an attitude about the whole thing. Customer relations is a big deal espessially for a small company or business. We try to hide all burn marks as much as possible, and usually we can do a pretty good job. Sometimes just due to the knot style or product this becomes very difficult. Also as mentioned brighter colors are less forgiving. Better luck in your future lanyard dealings.

Mitchell Knives

Knifemaker
Those really stick out. I don't know how he could mail that out. Other than that, the lanyards look good.

TUF

That's too bad. I have some sheaths from them that I am very happy with. I bought them from Busse and have never dealt direct before. Hearing your story makes me think I probably never will.

Maybe it's just the color but if I were them I would at least show accurate pictures of what it looks like finished. Because I don't think very many people will like the looks of that.

When you charge twenty dollars for a piece of string you should provide a damn fine looking piece of string.

JackHammer

Gold Member
That's too bad. I have some sheaths from them that I am very happy with. I bought them from Busse and have never dealt direct before. Hearing your story makes me think I probably never will.

Maybe it's just the color but if I were them I would at least show accurate pictures of what it looks like finished. Because I don't think very many people will like the looks of that.

When you charge twenty dollars for a piece of string you should provide a damn fine looking piece of string.

Perhaps you misunderstood. Mashed Cat, which makes sheaths, is an excellent company to deal with IMO. The company I complained about in the opening post does not make sheaths to my knowledge, nor do they have any connection to Busse. I just wanted to clarify that.

u812

Gold Member
It looks pretty horrible to me. Not very good workmanship. I also would have sent it back. Try the gentleman here on Blade Forums, name u812, he makes nice lanyards from what I have seen and they seem to be priced very reasonable. I have 2 of his monkeyfist and they are top notch.

Thank You!

That is a bad melt blob on that lanyard.It is harder to hide on lanyards that still have the inner strands but not that hard.
I do tend to use slightly larger melts on the top knots on Monkey Fists because some like to fiddle with the knots (stress relief I guess) and can come untied.I still blend them in well.
IMO the discoloration from over burn makes that one stand out much more.

TUF

Perhaps you misunderstood. Mashed Cat, which makes sheaths, is an excellent company to deal with IMO. The company I complained about in the opening post does not make sheaths to my knowledge, nor do they have any connection to Busse. I just wanted to clarify that.

I see now I read your post wrong. Thanks for pointing it out as I have been planning to order some things from mashed cat.

Just1More Thank for the kind words. I will say in defense of the maker that lighter colors are hard to burn and not get dark ends. But I can say that for money I would have not sent that to a soul. I am pretty sure that he could have hidden the ends with that knot.