1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Off Topic Bank card protection

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by u812, May 31, 2018.

1. u812

u812 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 15, 2002
    Just thought I would post this with many going on vacation and to the Blade show right now. My son just had his bank card scanned and copied a couple days ago. They were hitting his savings at an ATM while he was on the phone cancelling his card. He got all the cash replaced but it was a big headache. With leaving for Blade soon and not being able to find any of the blocking sleeves here local I just made a couple for mine out of double layers of aluminum foil. Leaving any cards I am not going to be using at home.

2. TENTEX

TENTEX Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 2, 2017
    I bet skimmers at restaurants, gas stations and ATM's are the more likely culprit.

Seems like the find them all the time

PA Trout likes this.
  3. u812

Mar 15, 2002
    They told him that it was things like that but also if you are in large crowds that make it easy for the person to get close to you for a few seconds is a big problem. They say they can get hundreds of cards in an hour.
    I check ATMs very well before using them. I do not pay for gas at the pump. The ones in stores are a risk you have to take although most are fairly secure. I hate letting a waiter at a restaurant take my card. I have had several friends get hit like that.

4. tokerblue

tokerblue

May 1, 2010
    Nuts to that. I'll stick with credit cards.

blackhat and HST like this.
  5. u812

Mar 15, 2002
    It is any card that has the radio chips.

6. ctrsurf

ctrsurf

Feb 1, 2012
    FYI: I work for a fuel distributor, and skimming devices at retail gas stations are at an all time high. They are easier for criminals to access than a inside of stores, gas companies have not implemented the data protections that other large retailers have, and there are many new high tech skimming devices that are not attached to the card slot- like Bluetooth devices that can be installed INSIDE of machines that are picked open for example.

I use my bank’s app to check transactions daily, and set up 2 checking accounts- one with a small balance & the only debit card in my wallet. Be careful out there!

7. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    And people think I'm crazy for still carrying cash ...

Hard Knocks, ctrsurf and LizaMari like this.
  8. Sethrotull

Sethrotull

Jun 4, 2009
    Well you have no recourse if cash is lost or stolen.

Credit Card is your best choice because that is not monies you need for everyday expenses.

seabil and HST like this.
  9. theaggregate

theaggregate

Apr 28, 2012
    We need the Busse INFI card....I’d be racking up some Busse points!

10. azwelke

azwelke azwelke.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 12, 2007
    Becareful at the airports too.
    Hope everyone has a safe and wonderful Blade.

11. polskiogorki

polskiogorki Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2015
    I put everything on visa. Full protected and Insured.
    Just pay it off at end of month. I never use my bank card. That or cash.

seabil, HST and PeteyTwoPointOne like this.
  12. PeteyTwoPointOne

PeteyTwoPointOne Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Yup ...

3 yrs. back my card got cloned and the clowns who cloned it run up 5K :eek::eek::eek: in charges in Chattanooga & North GA area on expensive sneakers, fireworks, & lingerie in a couple of hours :eek::confused::mad: ...

VISA sent me a list of the charges...told me to highlight the ones which weren't legit, and ***POOF*** they erased them just like a bad dream...

The VISA Customer Service folks says it happens ALL THE TIME <sigh> !!!

I was left feeling relieved, but at the same time pissed off that it seems to be so easy for criminals to cheat the system. I also realized that the credit card folks weren't too upset either because they know they'll make up the loss on the backs of their loyal, honest, paying customers.

My sis-in-law who works at a bank says when your Debit Card gets hacked, it's more of a problem because the crooks may have compromised your more personal layers of ID.

So whenever I'm sent a DEBIT CARD >>>> into the shredder it goes IMMEDIATELY ... It's a shame dishonest trash infringe on our liberty, but ya gotta do what's gonna keep your private stuff private.

seabil likes this.
  13. joeldworkin307

joeldworkin307 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 2, 2012
    I'm wary of ATM's not at banks so I get my cash from the grocery store. Buy a bag of coffee or a cheap snack and ask for cash back. No worry of having my card cloned unless the checker did it themselves and their name is on my receipt.

14. JohnTheTexican

JohnTheTexican Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2006
    I can't remember the last time I used a debit card. I've had credit card numbers stolen (I believe East Podunk's water department had a security breach--twice), but USAA's fraud department caught it quickly and the charges were reversed. (I check that stuff pretty much daily, but they still caught it before I did. Twice.)

15. gk4ever2

gk4ever2 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2008
    Even easier is to set a $ limit on your charges where if a charge goes over the limit, you receive an instant text message. After a series of fraudulent charges, on all of my credit cards I now receive a text message for ANY charge no matter how small; it is so quick that at a restaurant I often get the text message before the waiter/waitress returns to the table with the credit card.

That's a BAD idea; I don't need another reason to buy more knives! ;):D

16. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 29, 2010
    In reality they also don't need to scan your credit card to start charging against it, They use random number generation (based on the actual card number structure) and generate out card numbers, then use online processing to attempt small charges against the number, once they get a hit back (say $2 approved) they start to run up charges till the card is cancelled. They got two of ours this very way earlier this year. All the charges were through Uber card processing but none were actual card presentations. I did ask the bank what actions they were taking against the obvious fraudulent of card processing but there was *crickets* in response. A work colleague had the same thing with an Amex card she had purely for travel, it lived at home in a draw and bang Amex call and ask if she just made a $900US purchase in Florida on that card....nope....since it arrived it had not left her home. Cancelled and sorted.....8 months later, the replacement card still living in a sock draw gets hit for charges in the UK.

17. littlehoot

littlehoot Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2015
    Andy, that is a.new one to me! Thanks for some useful intel!

18. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Yes it has been going on for a good bit. When I got hit (the Uber thing) I retraced the last two months of my CC usage and there was not a single location that was out of the ordinary. We had just finished closing off my card when the hits started on The Princess of Darkness' card, numerically her's was about 900 past mine (all but the last four digits of the card were identical, if those last four of mine was say 7001 her's was 7901 for example). We had no cross overs of location of use except some stock standard places (our local supermarket and post office in fact were about it).

19. PeteyTwoPointOne

PeteyTwoPointOne Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 10, 2014
    wild what the criminal mind can concoct to cheat a person out of their $$$

20. gk4ever2

gk4ever2 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2008
    I have often thought it's a shame they don't use their intelligence to do good things. :(