Off Topic Bank card protection

u812

Gold Member
Just thought I would post this with many going on vacation and to the Blade show right now. My son just had his bank card scanned and copied a couple days ago. They were hitting his savings at an ATM while he was on the phone cancelling his card. He got all the cash replaced but it was a big headache. With leaving for Blade soon and not being able to find any of the blocking sleeves here local I just made a couple for mine out of double layers of aluminum foil. Leaving any cards I am not going to be using at home.

I bet skimmers at restaurants, gas stations and ATM's are the more likely culprit.

Seems like the find them all the time

They told him that it was things like that but also if you are in large crowds that make it easy for the person to get close to you for a few seconds is a big problem. They say they can get hundreds of cards in an hour.
I check ATMs very well before using them. I do not pay for gas at the pump. The ones in stores are a risk you have to take although most are fairly secure. I hate letting a waiter at a restaurant take my card. I have had several friends get hit like that.

FYI: I work for a fuel distributor, and skimming devices at retail gas stations are at an all time high. They are easier for criminals to access than a inside of stores, gas companies have not implemented the data protections that other large retailers have, and there are many new high tech skimming devices that are not attached to the card slot- like Bluetooth devices that can be installed INSIDE of machines that are picked open for example.

I use my bank’s app to check transactions daily, and set up 2 checking accounts- one with a small balance & the only debit card in my wallet. Be careful out there!

Becareful at the airports too.
Hope everyone has a safe and wonderful Blade.

I put everything on visa. Full protected and Insured.
Just pay it off at end of month. I never use my bank card. That or cash.

Yup ...

3 yrs. back my card got cloned and the clowns who cloned it run up 5K :eek::eek::eek: in charges in Chattanooga & North GA area on expensive sneakers, fireworks, & lingerie in a couple of hours :eek::confused::mad: ...

VISA sent me a list of the charges...told me to highlight the ones which weren't legit, and ***POOF*** they erased them just like a bad dream...

The VISA Customer Service folks says it happens ALL THE TIME <sigh> !!!

I was left feeling relieved, but at the same time pissed off that it seems to be so easy for criminals to cheat the system. I also realized that the credit card folks weren't too upset either because they know they'll make up the loss on the backs of their loyal, honest, paying customers.

My sis-in-law who works at a bank says when your Debit Card gets hacked, it's more of a problem because the crooks may have compromised your more personal layers of ID.

So whenever I'm sent a DEBIT CARD >>>> into the shredder it goes IMMEDIATELY ... It's a shame dishonest trash infringe on our liberty, but ya gotta do what's gonna keep your private stuff private.

I'm wary of ATM's not at banks so I get my cash from the grocery store. Buy a bag of coffee or a cheap snack and ask for cash back. No worry of having my card cloned unless the checker did it themselves and their name is on my receipt.

I can't remember the last time I used a debit card. I've had credit card numbers stolen (I believe East Podunk's water department had a security breach--twice), but USAA's fraud department caught it quickly and the charges were reversed. (I check that stuff pretty much daily, but they still caught it before I did. Twice.)

... I use my bank’s app to check transactions daily ...
Even easier is to set a $ limit on your charges where if a charge goes over the limit, you receive an instant text message. After a series of fraudulent charges, on all of my credit cards I now receive a text message for ANY charge no matter how small; it is so quick that at a restaurant I often get the text message before the waiter/waitress returns to the table with the credit card.

We need the Busse INFI card....I’d be racking up some Busse points!
That's a BAD idea; I don't need another reason to buy more knives! ;):D

In reality they also don't need to scan your credit card to start charging against it, They use random number generation (based on the actual card number structure) and generate out card numbers, then use online processing to attempt small charges against the number, once they get a hit back (say $2 approved) they start to run up charges till the card is cancelled. They got two of ours this very way earlier this year. All the charges were through Uber card processing but none were actual card presentations. I did ask the bank what actions they were taking against the obvious fraudulent of card processing but there was *crickets* in response. A work colleague had the same thing with an Amex card she had purely for travel, it lived at home in a draw and bang Amex call and ask if she just made a $900US purchase in Florida on that card....nope....since it arrived it had not left her home. Cancelled and sorted.....8 months later, the replacement card still living in a sock draw gets hit for charges in the UK.

Yes it has been going on for a good bit. When I got hit (the Uber thing) I retraced the last two months of my CC usage and there was not a single location that was out of the ordinary. We had just finished closing off my card when the hits started on The Princess of Darkness' card, numerically her's was about 900 past mine (all but the last four digits of the card were identical, if those last four of mine was say 7001 her's was 7901 for example). We had no cross overs of location of use except some stock standard places (our local supermarket and post office in fact were about it).

Back