Barlow's anyone?

I’ve always liked the Barlow pattern, but I only own two, a set from J. Russell and Sons. These knives were a gift from my wife and have just about the nicest stag in my collection. I think they are very well made knives.
6431007.jpg

While I was at Blade Show I got to handle a Schatt & Morgan Series XIII jigged bone Barlow. I would have to say that the quality of the S&M was far better than the J. Russell. While doing a search on Ebay I found and ordered a S&M Winterbottom Barlow. I continued to search for Barlow’s seeing if there was something else I wanted, when I saw this knife.

http://www.worldknives.com/product.asp?produid=455&manuid=25

Is anyone familiar with this brand?
Is anyone here into Barlow’s?
Is it really “the best quality barlow knife that we know of in production today!”?
What else should I be looking at?

TIA

Hi Phil,

I don't know about their claim that these knives are “the best quality barlow knife that we know of in production today!”?, but I do know that Taylor Eye Witness has been in business since about 1835. I have a few of their early razors. Personally, I don't think this knife has all that much going for it as far as being attractive. Your winterbottom barlow sounds much nicer. Queen makes some really lovely knives and I have yet to be disappointed by one. Blasphemy of all Blasphemies I think they're more well made and prettier than most Case knives in the same style.
:D

Hiya Kerry, and thanks for your post. I like the looks of the ram's horn scales, I would agree it migth not be as pretty as the "Winterbottom" and I don't think the winterbottom is going to be as pretty as the stag. BUt, I was justt wondering if I should make this Taylor Eye Witness Barlow my fourth.

Here's the S&M.

Attachments

• i-1.jpg
    i-1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 114
That S&M is sweet Phil:cool: . I've always been a huge fan of the Barlow pattern, but have yet to find one that satisfies me:( .
As for the Taylor Eye Witness, it looks good but I've never heard of them before. If you score one drop a line and let us know what you think.

Paul

Bob Neal Custom Knives has two Jerry Fisk barlows in the just arrived section. Thats right, Jerry Fisk barlows.
(they are barlows aren't they?)

Funny you started this thread Phil I just finished a Barlow of sorts with a twist just today. I call it My Watermellon folder. I made the Bolsters shorter to be a little different. Take a look let me know what you think.

Glen in Louisiana

Watermellon Barlow

Yeah Muss, those are Barlows, and Fisk folders are not something you see very day. Thanks for the heads up. Here's a link for anyone else that wants to take a look.

http://www.bobnealcustomknives.com/1mainframe.shtml?bymaker.shtml~main

Glenn, your knife looks great and I can appreciate you trying to do something a little different on your Barlow, but I have to admit when you shortened the bolster IMO it stopped being a Barlow. Still a nice knife,thanks for a look.

A MOP Fisk Barlow?:eek:

Now there's a great knife with even greater investment potential.:)
And there's not very many knives that will fit that description.

--The Raptor--

PS - Sorry for jumpin' in Phil.....but I just couldn't resist.;)

I'm not a big fan of Barlows but I like the smaller of the two above. Looks like a really nice watch pocket folder.
Matt

Barlow in bluegrass music.

Fly around my blue-eyed gal
Fly around my daisy
Fly around my blue-eyed gal
You almost drove me crazy.

Once I had a fortune
I laid it in a trunk
Lost it all all gambling
One night when I got drunk.

Wished I was in the West country
Sittin' in a big armchair
One arm 'round my whiskey barrel
The other 'round my dear.

If I had a scolding wife
Tell you what I'd do
Trade her off for a Barlow knife
Paddle my own canoe.

LOL Robb, there's not a doubt in my mind that I'd trade my wife for those Fisk Barlow's. ;)

I just learned this today while searching for Barlow's.
Roy Rogers "King of the Cowboys" knife of choice was a Barlow. I think that my attraction to stag has something to do with the stag grips on Roy's Colts. If that's real stag on this Barlow, not to mention the nostalgia factor, this would be a very cool knife for my collection.

Attachments

• case_royrogers.jpg
    case_royrogers.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 62
Originally posted by PhilL
If that's real stag on this Barlow, not to mention the nostalgia factor, this would be a very cool knife for my collection.

Phil,
That knife has been listed for about 3 years or so in SMKW's catalog.
Everytime I get the catalog in the mail I flip through it real quick to see if they still have any of these. I'm always amazed to see them listed. They must have ordered a few of them or the price was high. Well, tt looks like they finally ran out of stock. For some reason I'm remembering that they used to cost more than what they're showing on the website now. I know it must've been more or I'd be postin' a picture of mine right now (and bragging) instead of typing this to you.;)

--The Raptor--

Only own one barlow at the present time, but it's an old Case XX with smooth redbone handles. Pretty good shape considering it's age. Take a look: Knives I own

Nice looking Barlow, have you had it for a while?

BTW, welcome to BFC.

Nice collection D.

Welcome to Blade Forums.

thanks for the welcome to the forums, seems like some great folks here, wish I'd found it sooner. Have had the Case XX Barlow for two or three years probably, just laying around in a drawer along with a few dozen other knives. Used to have a large Trapper collection, but sold off most of them, way too many to keep polished and oiled and hard to display, now I have a lot of different patterns and brands.

Back