Baryonyx Manticore + Arctic fox

At 3:34 you meant to say I like it a lot better with water, right?

Manticore is 60 grit; Arctic Fox is "FEPA F 360 | ANSI 400 | JIS 700".

+1 on wishing for 3" x 10" stones!

The Arctic Fox blend is a perfect example of how grit size alone doesn't necessarily correlate 1:1 with a resulting finish. Thanks for the review! :D

10" x 3" might be something I expand to offering in the future, but the cost would be high.

Excellent comprehensive info as usual, Heavy, thank you.
What’s the outer limit for the Fox, as far as high vanadium steel is concerned?

Come on man... I JUST put in an order for an Arctic Fox Sportsman's puck (for my axes and cold steel shovel) and a set of the new Richlite scales for the Grimalkin. Now I gotta go back.

ANSI 400 grit is about the highest grit that still works well on vanadium carbide steels due to the difference in size of the abrasive vs. the carbides. Imagine using a shovel to move different sized stones. As you progress from fine sand to pea gravel, to crushed rock, and then to small cobbles, past a certain size the shovel no longer penetrates into the medium well and you have to move to using a stone fork instead. It's very similar with aluminum oxide and silicon carbide abrasives vs. vanadium carbide. Fortunately, vanadium carbides are very tiny, averaging typically around 3µm in size, and so ANSI 400 grit is still able to gouge them out of the steel substrate without too much trouble, but that's the limit of where it's still actually effective. Finer than that and that's where you'd want to make the switch to diamond/CBN.

Is this a matter of tooling, larger equipment, higher reject rate, or what? I am presuming it's more than merely proportional material cost.

No, mostly just proportional material cost. You're looking at 1.875x the volume and that'd bump up a $40 stone up to about $75 for only 2" longer stroke and 1" increased width. The 8"x2" bench stones sell respectably, but the pucks, field stones, pocket stones, and scythe stones sell in much higher volume. Higher unit cost for the minimum run volumes means higher investment cost in having them done for what would ultimately most likely be a slower-selling stone due to that cost. So it's not an especially appealing avenue when one has limited capital to spread among such projects. If I had a mountain of capital to dispense as I pleased I would be doing so many things right this moment, but unfortunately I have to pick and choose which projects I undertake based on the likely rate of return, and there are just a lot of things on my "to make" list right now that I predict would make a faster return. When I've squared some of those away, perhaps they'll be generating enough revenue to throw into a 10x3 project, but I also need to expand my offerings with the Bull Thistle, Manticore, and American Mutt series, and I have a few others planned, to boot. :)

Thanks for the video. The Arctic Fox is a stone I've ogled many times as a potential replacement for my beloved soft Arkansas stones for the kitchen. I don't really do water though so have yet to pull the trigger.

I'm not really setup for water (no utility sink, garage, etc.) but it seems to be something I'm increasingly drawn to...

FortyTwoBlades FortyTwoBlades I appreciate you explaining that for me. Have you considered thinner stones? 10"×3"×0.533" has the same volume as 8"×2"×1". The Norton IM313 format of 11.5"×2.5"×0.5" has lower volume. If these could be kept to about the same price it might prove a compelling option for many.

FortyTwoBlades FortyTwoBlades I appreciate you explaining that for me. Have you considered thinner stones? 10"×3"×0.533" has the same volume as 8"×2"×1". The Norton IM313 format of 11.5"×2.5"×0.5" has lower volume. If these could be kept to about the same price it might prove a compelling option for many.

I'd be up for using something like that. My soft, hard, and translucent Arkansas Stones are 1/2" thick which I thought would annoy me since I was used to the 1" Norton's, but it hasn't bothered me in the slightest. A 10" x 3" x .5" stone for $40 - $50 would be a steal!

Certain proportional relationships do need to be maintained. I could try to have them produced that thin, but it's possible there could be warpage during firing, so it's something only testing will bear out.

If I was in America I’d certainly be purchasing a selection of your stones!!!

Thanks for the video. The Arctic Fox is a stone I've ogled many times as a potential replacement for my beloved soft Arkansas stones for the kitchen. I don't really do water though so have yet to pull the trigger.

I'm not really setup for water (no utility sink, garage, etc.) but it seems to be something I'm increasingly drawn to...

you should give it a go, I’ve never used oil so don’t have a direct comparison but I get by well enough without a sharpening bath or sink etc.

squeeze bottle filled with water does me just fine...

I love the Baryonyx stones. They don’t need a ton of water or a dedicated pond like some Japanese water stones. I use them on the bench with a little squirt bottle of water and they do just fine.

Back