1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basic 8 le vs. DS8 comp

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by TRog, Mar 8, 2018.

1. TRog

TRog Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 13, 2012
    So whos got both and has used them? Ive been wanting a B8 le since they came out a couple years ago for a new woods knife but now since the DS8 comp has come out ive hit the breaks on the B8. And yeah i know i should just get'm both but i dont have alot of " play" money right now. Looking forward to what you hogs gota say.

-Tony

2. TRog

Feb 13, 2012
    Does anyone know the weight on each of these by chance?

3. Will York

Will York Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 21, 2000

4. TRog

Feb 13, 2012
    Wow i thought they weighed close but a tenth of an once, damn! Thanks for the info Will

5. luethge

luethge Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2017
    9F2600F2-2EA8-49E2-B96D-8B968A824F90.jpeg CDA193FB-5508-41C3-AC42-1D445E765B77.jpeg 572EE077-FD98-410B-BC18-96E055124CE1.jpeg

I haven’t had a chance to use the DS8 outside yet. The B8 , I have , cuts like a razor . I have been able to keep it shaving sharp with a couple pulls across smooth ceramic sticks and a strop. The zero convex edge and flat grind make it perform like a machete/ camp knife hybrid. I imagine the DS8 would be a better choice for battoning , digging .. more abusive general tasks . They are very similar and very different.

I’m looking forward to seeing some of the HOG B8’s ( drop point ) .. those should tear it up pretty well.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Will York likes this.
  6. Will York

Jan 21, 2000
    Mirrors my experience.:thumbsup:

luethge likes this.
  7. TRog

Feb 13, 2012
    Sweet keep'm coming guys. Who out there has some woods time with there DS8?

8. ScottsBad

ScottsBad Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 13, 2015
    I've got a B8 and it is a terrific knife, but I hasn't been rotated into a user yet. However, I also have a Trash 2 and that baby is awesome. Its a high scandi and the blade is 9.5" X 3/16" SR101. The weight is 15.25 vs. 12.75 for the B8LE. The extra weight is distributed forward. So, the Trash 2 is still fast, but it is a great chopper for its size.

I think the B8 is a bit light forward. I inexplicably missed the HOG B8. So, I ordered two uncoated MountainManDu knives, one in SR77 and the other INFI. Hoping that they will be the perfect balance for me.
    Basic8.JPG
    Trash2.jpg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  9. TRog

Feb 13, 2012
    Yeah i was wondering between the 2, b8 & DS8, which one had more weight towards the tip?

10. ScottsBad

Feb 13, 2015
    Depends on what you want to use it for, and the DS8 looks like its balanced for tactical use. Don't tactical blades tend to be more neutral for knife fighting purposes than say a camp knife which has more forward weight for chopping. The clip point is sort of a giveway. I don't think its a hard and fast rule, just an observation. I have a Rodent 7 (a far under appreciated blade IMHO) that is good for both. 7" Slightly forward weighted clip point with a grip that will keep your hand from slipping forward when stabbing. But it also allows you to hold the rear of the handle for increased velocity when chopping. I just wish it was INFI.

The blade of the R7 is similar in shape to the DS8, but an inch shorter, but the DS8 has the relief in the blade which will lighten it some. I use the R7 a fair amount.

Hopefully someone that has both B8 and DS8 will answer the weight balance question.

The R7 is the one in the middle.
    busseknives4 (2).jpg

11. luethge

luethge Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2017
    The balance point on my B8 and D8 are right at the choil , a little closer to the handle on the basic 8. They are both great knives. The basic is a capable chopper for its weight, full height grind and zero edge. Your getting alot of knife in either one , especially for the weight ( or lack of weight compared to a full tang with scales). If you are on the fence about buying one .. either of them are great.

The basic 8 cuts like a lazer beam though ...

TRog and Will York like this.
  12. Will York

Jan 21, 2000
    ^^^ If I didn’t have a B8 LE, I would be all over 360joules’ package on the Exchange right now. With a MC taco sheath in that kind of condition, I don’t know where you could get that kind of performance for the dollar. Amazed it’s still there, but I guess the Dog Soldier is the new greatest thing. And it IS a great knife, but for satin INFI in the same size and weight w/MC taco at less than DS’s are selling for without sheath is just crazy.

Stump Buster and luethge like this.
  13. TRog

Feb 13, 2012
    I know ive been drolling over 360joules b8 rig since he posted it but wanted some feed back on the DS8 before pulling the trigger on either thats why i posted this to get some feed back from you guys but with the DS8 being so newly released i dont think to many ppl have gone out in the woods and used them yet.

14. TRog

Feb 13, 2012
    Im wanting this for a backpacking/ woods knife.

15. TRog

Feb 13, 2012
    Opps. Ive been drinking and misread something... somewhere.....

16. TRog

Feb 13, 2012
    Seems like im leaning towards the b8 cause the DS8 is so new i cant get any feedback so...

luethge likes this.
  17. ScottsBad

Feb 13, 2015
    If you are going to carry a hand Axe it would be a good combo, but if you need a chopper, i'd get something with a little more blade. But that's just me. The B8 is a nice Jack of all trades master of none knife. IMHO

Better hurry if you don't buy that B8...I may buy it just because...

TRog and luethge like this.
  18. Stump Buster

Stump Buster Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 15, 2007
    I'm getting weaker by the minute!!!

luethge likes this.
  19. inkynate

inkynate Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2010
    I have both, but am still in the "hasn't used the DS8 camp." With the weight difference so negligible, it basically comes down to preference on blade profile and choil (and the fuller aesthetics, if that matters).

Something to be said for the full satin and convexed edge though. Would be hard for me to let go of this one, even if the DS8 is great too:

[​IMG]

TRog and luethge like this.
  20. inkynate

inkynate Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2010
    This one too, long live the B8LE!!!

[​IMG]

PeteyTwoPointOne, TRog and luethge like this.