• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Basic drop point D2 hunter/skinner. Osage orange.

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Blade is 3 5/8" hollow ground, 7 3/8 OAL. $145 Sold

D2 with cold treatment and tempered to HRC 62. This is the perfect steel for this kind of knife (IMO) and this is a high quality HT that has been proven to perform. 304 stainless pins. Comes with a basic leather pouch sheath.

This has a high thin hollow grind taken to .018" at the edge, which is relatively thin for this kind of knife, so it is not for rough use, but it cuts very well and will still withstand some abuse. It will be sharpened for your intended use before I ship.

feb09_1.jpg

feb09_2.jpg

feb09_3.jpg

feb09_4.jpg

These knives have earned a reputation for holding an edge. In an attempt to improve my meager production output, I have now enlisted the help of Paul Bos for heat treat. This is not his standard D2 heat treat. I tried it and found it did not have the same fine edge stability, which is important on a thin skinning knife. He has been very accommodating about tweaking his process for me so the HT on these knives have been optimized for a fine thin cutter where edge performance is the main priority. Consideration was also given to the amount of free chromium, which improves corrosion resistance for D2. I feel we have achieved a HT that is at least as good as my own. I guarantee this knife will cut effortlessly, and hold an acute edge beyond most folks expectations.

I take checks, cash and money orders. I'm now also taking PayPal.

Thanks for looking,
Nathan

Last edited:
Aristata, smart catch ! i bought a very similar knife from Nathan about 6 months ago. Outstanding grind and edge as well as ergonomic fit and a fine custom sheath. Excellent slicer; i field dressed a deer and use it in the kitchen too. still shaving sharp. you're going to love it !
roland

Wow that was quick!

It's easy to see why though.

I will definitely be watching out for another knife from this maker. It looks like I'll have to be quick though as this one only took two minutes!

Wow that was quick!

It's easy to see why though.

I will definitely be watching out for another knife from this maker. It looks like I'll have to be quick though as this one only took two minutes!

Thanks. They normally move quickly, but this time there were a few people who had asked to be notified the next time I had one up for sale, which is why this one moved as fast as it did. If you want to be put on the list I'll be happy to add you.

Thanks,
Nathan

going to have to add me again Nathan, the one Saturday I had to work or I would have been first

Wow. A few of those would make a great set of steak knives. Please let me know when your making another batch.

Fastcamo, mnyshrpknvs, you're on the list for the next ones. If anyone else wants to be notified when another one is ready, please send me a PM and I'll send you a notice when I get more ready.

Thanks again everybody,
Nathan

Back