"BBC" Bergisches Beer Canoe knives?

0HDCIuQ.jpg

I'm interested in getting a BBC "Beer Canoe". Are these available stateside (CONUS) or do I need to go to German websites and look for them?

Who all makes these besides Fighting Rooster? What do you have that might inspire my search for this obscure Canoe model?

If you run across one in Bog Oak or really nice Stag, I'd appreciate being pointed to where it is available? I'd also be tempted by other natural materials that aren't massively available in cheap slip-joints (thinking exotic woods and antlers, for example, not Olive wood and similar 'common' mass-produced scales).

TIA,
Sid

I want one too. I have found a couple links for them. With the exchange rate and shipping they get a bit pricy. Not sure of the overall quality, so been hesitant to order.

Last edited:
Those look neat.

For temptation purposes alone, I know another Canoe-appreciating gentleman that may be interested in these 5K Qs 5K Qs ;)

I want one too. I have found a couple links for them. With the exchange rate and shipping they get a bit pricy. Not sure of the overall quality, so been hesitant to order.
I'll give a quick review of the quality when I get it.;)
Stag looks nice but I would have preferred carbon steel.
I had the GEC Beer Scout with the bourbon barrel scales but regretfully sold it, and we all know what that one would run me today if I could track one down.:eek:

Those look neat.

For temptation purposes alone, I know another Canoe-appreciating gentleman that may be interested in these 5K Qs 5K Qs ;)
Thanks for the heads-up, Mike! :):thumbsup:
I haven't seen these before, and I certainly have more than passing interest in the canoe pattern in all its variations! :cool::cool:
Time for a little research.

- GT

And just when I think I’m slowing down....that looks like a great summertime picnic carry!

Hen & Rooster? Probably PRC made.

Be interesting to see how they function if single-spring, bottle openers are usually fairly thick stock.

All the ones (a very limited number) I have seen have been Robert Klaas models under that name or one of the related German companies.

Now if a company like Rough Rider out of China made one, I'd probably bite if the price was similar to the existing Canoe models. If Case Knives did one, I'd be all over it assuming it wasn't a plastic scale model.

Those are Hen & Rooster. Fight'n Rooster as a brand is long dead and gone.

Those are Hen & Rooster. Fight'n Rooster as a brand is long dead and gone.

Thanks! The website I pulled it from listed it as " Robert Klaas". The Medalion looked like it had a rooster on it and the other ones I saw were Fight'n Rooster branded.

I know this is a canoe, but since the Victorinox Alox Bantam exists,......................

I'm hoping for a bit better blade to go with the bottle opener. While I really like SAK's in general, I find the blades to be less than useful in my usage. They dull way too fast and are a bit too flexible. My slip-joint experience suggests the blade will be stiffer and will likely hold a better edge with its steel most likely being 420'something (HC maybe?).

Hen & Rooster? Probably PRC made.

It looks like it has Solingen stamped on the tang. According to my understanding of German law, if it says Solingen it is actually made in Solingen, Germany. For that price it had better be a real Solingen knife. The blade is 1.4034, which falls between the 12C27Mod that Opinel uses and 420HC. So, depending on the heat treat, it could work fairly well. If the heat treat puts it near where Opinel and Buck put their stainless it would be fine for me.

Thanks! The website I pulled it from listed it as " Robert Klaas". The Medalion looked like it had a rooster on it and the other ones I saw were Fight'n Rooster branded.

Here's another one I turned up:
n54R9CC.jpg

Hen & Rooster Bertram Bergisches Beer Canoe knife with a much better picture of the knife tang and the medallion. This and the other one look pretty similar but, they are advertised a bit differently. It sure looks to me like they come from the same workshop.

GEC made a beer barrel knife a few years ago but, WOW! Over $300 for the one I saw for sale! Not sure I want carbon steel in a knife like this either.

Here's another one I turned up:
n54R9CC.jpg

Hen & Rooster Bertram Bergisches Beer Canoe knife with a much better picture of the knife tang and the medallion. This and the other one look pretty similar but, they are advertised a bit differently. It sure looks to me like they come from the same workshop.

GEC made a beer barrel knife a few years ago but, WOW! Over $300 for the one I saw for sale! Not sure I want carbon steel in a knife like this either.
That's the exact knife I bought today.:thumbsup:

Good score! It sure is pretty and I can't wait for your review of it.
You were on the site I'm assuming?
In the description it states something about a cosmetic issue: "The brass liners are tightly installed. B- Goods because the jaws / cup pairs were not mounted parallel. about 2mm offset. No impairment of handling only optical errors"
I'm sure something is lost in translation, but what could "jaws/cups pairs" mean?
It might be weeks before I can get an eye on it and decipher the flaw and make sense of it and it'll bug me a little till I do.

You were on the site I'm assuming?
In the description it states something about a cosmetic issue: "The brass liners are tightly installed. B- Goods because the jaws / cup pairs were not mounted parallel. about 2mm offset. No impairment of handling only optical errors"
I'm sure something is lost in translation, but what could "jaws/cups pairs" mean?
It might be weeks before I can get an eye on it and decipher the flaw and make sense of it and it'll bug me a little till I do.
I don't know what that means either but it might mean that the bolster(s) aren't mounted properly. The front one in the picture looks to be offset from the liner and covers.
H&R.jpg

I spent some time in Germany so, I took the 'literal' translation to mean the brass liners the blades rest between are the issue. Looking at the picture, it looks like one of the pins is 2mm offset (bottle cap end) versus being 'inline' with the other pin on the other side of the knife.

It sure is a beautiful knife so, I bet the issue is pretty minor.

Did the checkout process tell you how it shipped? Generally, things I get from that part of the EU get to the USA in about a week. So, as long as you aren't deployed or away on travel, I'm hoping to see a mini-review in less than two weeks! :)

I don't know what that means either but it might mean that the bolster(s) aren't mounted properly. The front one in the picture looks to be offset from the liner and covers.

It's a bit hard to tell from the pictures but, you might be right. That scale might have been slightly rounded off in the buffing process.

Back