Bear Grylls Posts go here!

. . .
He knew enough to train other soliders about SERE and survival, I'm sure thats more than I know. He may not be Ron Hood, but I'm sure he knows enough to live longer than most.

I'd still prefer more Survivorman or Ray Mears, but I'll take what I can get.

He joined a reserve unit and, somehow, at 19 had an MOS that includes training. The bulk of his short time on "duty" was (no surprise) absence on injury leave.

Compare him to a real trainer of real professionals, "Chesty" Wiseman, survival trainer to the regular SAS for years. The conduct advised/modeled differs as night to day. Phony credentials. Phony, dangerous advice.

I feel I need to clarify something, I am in no way criticizing bear's military service, reserve or otherwise, I am criticizing him using it to promote his show. It grates on my nerves like fingernails on a chalk board, lots of real hereos that don't play up their service to make money and lie to the public. Chris

Thanks, btuner! I've been wondering for years. The technolag is fascinating. Regards, ss.

yeah its pretty sad that their main source of ratings is still the ol pen and paper, but as long as we have as many people that we do continuing to do it that way, why change? im sure some major changes are in the works for the next couple years though

Runningboar, I see where you are coming from and I agree with you. Taken as a whole, it's a disservice to the unknowing. BTW-I don't know where Lightning Jack went with his flock, but I suppose he didn't get any of them hurt except maybe sore feet. He advocated high boots for rattlesnakes (as opposed to flip-flops I guess) so he was wearing pointy cowboy boots. Before going our own way, we eavesdropped on enough of the lecture to keep us amused for the whole hike. :D Regards, ss.

Walking has been proven time and time again as one of the best ways to get disoriented, lost, injured, and die.

I am guessing that this was a typo, since obviously you mean "disorientated."

That one makes me giggle every time he says it.

How about Tom Brown, Bear Grylls, Les Stroud and MacGyver in a 100-sq mi wilderness... winner take all, no holds barred! :jerkit: ;)

They could get that guy who lived with/was killed by grizzlies in Alaska... too bad ya only pull a stunt like that once. :D

I'd put my money on the wilderness.

He joined a reserve unit and, somehow, at 19 had an MOS that includes training. The bulk of his short time on "duty" was (no surprise) absence on injury leave.

Compare him to a real trainer of real professionals, "Chesty" Wiseman, survival trainer to the regular SAS for years. The conduct advised/modeled differs as night to day. Phony credentials. Phony, dangerous advice.

"Lofty" Wiseman
"Chesty" Puller

I am catching repeats here and there and am not sure which are the newer ones. I just watched him in the Ecuadorian jungle, batoning the hell out of his Gerber Gator through a bunch of different types of wood. Either he uses a new knife every time, or that Gator is one tough SOB and I need to get one. (I'm thinking it's a new one every time)

Thread temporarilly hijacked ;)
I had some Bear Grillus last night :D Tastey and tender , I'm down to one pack of sausage and one pack of stew meat :thumbdn:
Good thing Hunting season is right around the corner ;)

Now back to the origional thread :D

Phil

It doesn't really matter. It is entertainment that can be watched by the whole family. My tv can be set to different channels so I can watch what I want to. Most times I would rather be in myown backyard than watching tv.

BTW this is the first time in awhile the server has been too busy to let me on. Has this been happening to you?

I haven't followed this (or any other Bear Grylls)thread completely but I was wondering if his show airs on the discovery channel in canada?

Seems the Bear has been less than 100% honest about details of his performances:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article2116195.ece

haha, and yet that doesnt surprise me. Though in the episode when he finds the horse, I mean come on, it had shoes! and you know, I think that gerber gator held up to that stuff, it is a tuff little knife, but it looses its edge so fast, it gets on my nerves. Plus I like watching Bears field sharpening techniques :rolleyes: . But it's TV folks, shows like chris angel mindfreak or what ever. Its unfortunatly all crap. (has the ability to waste time, but crap)

haha, and yet that doesnt surprise me. Though in the episode when he finds the horse, I mean come on, it had shoes! and you know, I think that gerber gator held up to that stuff, it is a tuff little knife, but it looses its edge so fast, it gets on my nerves. Plus I like watching Bears field sharpening techniques :rolleyes: . But it's TV folks, shows like chris angel mindfreak or what ever. Its unfortunatly all crap. (has the ability to waste time, but crap)

I guess it doesn't matter when you have a camera crew with about 10 replacement gerber gators for everytime you have to use it :D

I think that history will show this program to be the joke it is, thanks to its host. I like the Johnny Knoxville comparison in a previous post...

It didn't surprise me at all to learn that he went to Eton !

"Television is indeed a medium - it's neither rare nor well done" - I wish I could take credit for that one since it seems to be so true.

Oh, and to answer the server question 2dogs, when I was able to get on yesterday, there were 1248 members online !

Today's BearAware question: I have only two (static line) jumps to my name, so maybe someone with more experience can clarify something for me:
Every jump it seems, he says "I think that was my fastest jump ever". The Swiss Alps and the Rockies episode come to mind right away. He doesn't seem to flare much (if at all) before landing, so of course he's coming in at full speed and d@mn near vertical glideslope...he doesn't have any gear, so the loading on the canopy shouldn't be that high...
spontaneous windshear localized around only him maybe ?

Maybe he's trying to lay the groundwork for an action movie career ? If that's the case, maybe he should be doing some heli-rappels as well. Oh wait - he'd probably lose his front teeth...

BTW, the Criss Angel guy doesn't tell impressionable kids to jump from rock to rock and climb down waterfalls and sinkholes for no good reason...

Back