Bear Grylls Ultimate Survival Knife!

Here it is! You know you want one.
Bearknife001.jpg

Firestarter in sheath, built in diamond sharpener, whistle, and HAMMER Pommel.
Bearknife004.jpg

Bearknife005.jpg

Bearknife013.jpg

Ok, scratch hammer pommel! :eek:

Bearknife025.jpg

The edge was ok. The knife is pretty cheezy, though. See the review in Review and Testing forum. It is basically junk. I am disappointed in Gerber for putting their name on this POS. Their LMF II is a much better knife.

Hopefully anybody considering buying this POS will find your review on google and think better of it.

MSRP?

Is there any redemption here at all? How about a link to your review (I am curious to know what broke it and what uses the edge fell short on).

At first I thought it looked like a hopeful package with a lot of elements a weekend camper might enjoy.

Edited to add a link to the review and to say that I am somewhat bummed that it seems to be well below expectations. Not a surprise I guess...

Last edited:
The concept is good. Knife, firesteel, sharper and sheath and some basic instructions.

To bad it sounds like this package is not very good.
I do like seeing some orange though lol.
Bryan

MSRP is around $80, but you can find them from $45 to $55. The LMF II is near $80, but a much better knife. The new ones are 420HC, mine is Sanvik 12C27 steel. This is the first in the Bear Grylls survival series from Gerber, and I am disappointed. See my full review for more details.

MSRP is around $80, but you can find them from $45 to $55. The LMF II is near $80, but a much better knife. The new ones are 420HC, mine is Sanvik 12C27 steel. This is the first in the Bear Grylls survival series from Gerber, and I am disappointed. See my full review for more details.

I did see your review (and thanks for responding).

All I can say is, "wow". I tried to keep an open mind and think perhaps this reviewer was a little harsh...I mean, hey, we are knife nuts and we might expect a bit more than a lot of buyers and be a little extra harsh on a face for sale with a knife in the box. At 60-80 bucks (which is what I guess many will actually sell for in stores) I expect a more. As a suggestion, I would add the price to your review...I think it is a necessary data point.

Good review BTW. Thanks!

Horndog did you by any chance order the Bear Grylls parang ?

[youtube]wsy7GP1y7Sk[/youtube]

My exact price was $65.09 from Amazon, shipping included. They were the first to have them on sale. I wanted to get one and review it early. I own many Gerbers and most have been good knives. No they are not the very top of the line, but usually they represent good value for the money. This series has gotten off to a very bad start with me. I will not be testing the Parang that is coming, nor the folder. I like the design concept fine. Lots of tools in one package. But the workmanship and materials are not up to Gerber's previous standards, IMO.

At first I thought it looked like a hopeful package with a lot of elements a weekend camper might enjoy.

Most weekend campers get by with a SAK knockoff and maybe a dull hatchet.
This thing may seem poorly designed and incredibly weak to us, but for the average guy it will be pretty useful.
No doubt it will fill many a stocking this Christmas.

Bummer, I was actually planning on getting one. You should at least see if Gerber will replace it. Or maybe they will send Bear over to apologize :)

Considering the "low" price...
With all the gimmicks they added (sharpening stone, firesteel, pommel...)...
I had factored there wouldn't be much be left for the knife itself...
I was vaguely hoping they would get over it (low carbon, low hardened steel can make marvels in terms of toughness)...

Gerber's daring putting their name on that. Apparently they don't have much self-respect left.

Btw:
Sharpener on the shealth is not a bad idea.
Fallkniven does it too.

Last edited:
I have done all the tasks (except the firesteel) with the Mora 2000 and had no part of the knife to break. You could buy two or three Moras for the price of the BG knife. It appears that Bear just couldn't go for the middle ground. His first knives were outrageously expensive Bayley customs, but very high quality. Sales is the name of the game, and many owners may never really use them, so I guess sales volume was the goal. Make them cheaply, advertise them with Bear's endorsement and get them out there. But the Gerber Ultimate knife could have been a winner. If the same quality of construction used on the LMF II had been used, the knife may have actually sold for $80 or more, but it would have been a better knife and worthy of the Gerber brand name.

Back