Becker bk-2 or Schrade SCHF9?

Hey guys. I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I wanted to hear your input on which knife would be better for an all around survival knife. I would use it for chopping, batoning, making feather sticks and maybe some whittling if I could. Which knife would be better for that, a Becker bk-2 or a Schrade schf9 extreme survival knife?

There is a Becker huge Becker following on this forum. I doubt there will much love for the Taylor brand Schrade.
I have a BK2 and an Ontario RD4 these are similar knives. My favorite of the three is the RD4

The rubber handle scales on that Schrade are crap. They will move around, no matter how tight the screws are. The sheath is horrible as well. The recurve blade will be more difficult to sharpen, compared to the BK-2.
The Schrade seems like a good deal, till you start to upgrade the sheath, and realize those finger notches in the handle will be harder to match, if you decide to make better scales.
The BK-2 comes with better scales and a better sheath to begin with. Plus, if you want micarta and leather or kydex, there are plenty of options.

Schrade is labeled "extreme". That's good enough for me to never buy it.

Yeah, go with the becker. I have an old schrade fixed blade that is nice but that was back when they were made in the USA. The becker will be of higher quality in almost every area and it is not that much more expensive.

The rubber handle scales on that Schrade are crap. They will move around, no matter how tight the screws are. The sheath is horrible as well.

I disagree on all counts.

The handles (which are a polymer called Kraton - not rubber) have excellent grip wet or dry and seem to withstand abuse as well as anything else. Mine have never rattled - ever, nor have I ever seen or read a review that mentions moving handle scales (and I looked at EVERY review I could find before buying). Perhaps you got your hands on a lemon?

I also find no problem at all with the sheath. It holds the knife securely, allows you to hang from the belt (without removing the belt first) or attach to a MOLLE system (without the added purchase of a Tek-Lok). You can fault it for being right-hand carry only, but that is very easily fixed with one small cut of a hacksaw or bandsaw. What is it about the sheath you find so terrible?

I am personally a fan of the SCHF9. I bought one when I needed a survival knife on a budget and have never regretted the decision. Of course, the Becker products are undeniably great, but I believe the Schrade will match the BK2s performance in every respect. Plus, it costs literally HALF as much ($36.12 vs $69.99 currently on Amazon).

I actually prefer the more versatile handle design of the Schrade over the Becker. The forward finger choil is nice for detail work, and the ability to choke all the way back to a two-finger grip can be great for chopping.

Until someone can demonstrate that the HT or edge retention are emperically better on the Beckers, I think there is no objective grounds for one's superiority over the other. Personal opinion will, however, make a difference. If you prefer Kydex to glass filled nylon or you prefer a straight blade over a recurve - so be it.

Last edited:
BK2 for sure. It's easy to mod, but by no means needs to be. It's heftier, makes for easier batoning. Super easy to sharpen and damn near impossible to break. I have batoned a pile of wood, and proceeded to feather a stick.....I'm so in love with this knife.

Just got a bk2, my first becker, and frankly I was not impressed. The sheath is poor quality, the snap puled off after nothing but putting it on a belt and walking across the room. The knife came worse than dull. One side looked likee it had been ground on a 60 grit belt. Never handled a schrade, but the kraton handle on my kabar has seen years of use with no problems.

Do have to say that once sharpened, you can put one heck of an edge on the becker.

BK2 for sure. It's easy to mod, but by no means needs to be. It's heftier, makes for easier batoning. Super easy to sharpen and damn near impossible to break. I have batoned a pile of wood, and proceeded to feather a stick.....I'm so in love with this knife.

They're actually the same weight. Manufacturer specs put the Schrade at 15.9 ounces and the Becker at 16 ounces. Several reviewers have commented, though, that the becker "feels" heavier in the hand. Whther that's a good thing or bad is up to you. . .

I highly doubt it.
He probably got the BK2 and is in such blissful happiness that he forgot about his prior indecision.:D

Out of the two you mention I'd go with the Becker BK2, mainly because it's a tank of a knife with many after market extra's avaiable. If you really like that one you may also want to look at the Esee 5, very similar blade shape and thicknes as the BK2, but comes with micarta or G10 handles and a kydex sheath from factory, that's my favourite :D

About the schrade, I'm not too keen on recurve blades for allround use, I find a straight part on a blade very useful, and I'm even les keen on finger cutouts in handles... they never math my hands properly and start to annoy me when working with the knife for longer periods of time.

This is my first post but have been lurking for quite awhile. I just bought a bk2 today. Great knife built like a tank and exactly what I was expecting but out of all my knives I cannot seem to quit fondling my Ranger RD9. This might change in a couple of days once the Junglas arrives from Dale at The Knife Connectionion. My idea of a "SURVIVAL KNIFE" encompasses not just the woods or wilderness but also urban environments. And a large pointy knife is better when dealing with ZOMBIES LOL. In my opinion for the money you cannot go wrong with ESEE BECKER or Ranger knives. Sorry for the long first post but anyway MY NAME IS BRYAN AND IM A KNIFEAHOLIC

Back