Becker bk-2 or Schrade SCHF9?

I highly doubt it.
He probably got the BK2 and is in such blissful happiness that he forgot about his prior indecision.:D

Or he got the Schrade, tried to use it to baton for firewood on an extended hiking trip. It failed on the first whack and his body is currently thawing out somewhere in the Andes.

As humorous as the post is I find it unlikely it would fail. The Schrade SCHF9 was designed by our very own Brian Griffin (Mistwalker) and he was very insistant on making sure that his design was executed in a quality manner. Taylor/Schrade can actually make a nice knife when they put their minds to it, and they did in this case.

Mistwalker did a good job with the design. If only it were manufactured by somebody other than Schrade, I think it would get a lot more love from blade-o-philes. I still abuse mine every chance I get, and it shows no signs of giving up on me yet.

I also have mixed feelings about forward finger choils. I think there are functional and aesthetic drawbacks, but for the mythical One Knife Solution knife, I find it an acceptable compromise because of how much stress and fatigue it takes off your hand while using the big knife for small knife chores.

Because the OPs question is posed so many times, and because the BK2 is discussed based on its reputation and the SCHF9 is discussed largely on bias, I have ambitions of doing a thorough use-and-abuse comparison test one day. I just need an opportunity to hang out in the woods instead of in hotels to actually make it happen. If anybody wants to team up to help provide posterity with a final and definitive answer to this pervasive question. . . Contact me!

So Ratatat12,it's been dang near two months. Did you make a decision? Considering the price difference it's a tough call. If you can afford a Becker than get a becker, you will not be disappointed.

Or you can split the price difference and get a Ka-Bar Heavy Warthog. You get the Ka-Bar quality at a lower price and it chops like a beast while not being too unwieldy. Take the $10-15 you saved by not getting a BK2 and get a mora and you're all set.

When I first read this question I was not familar with the Schrade SCF9. When Schrade was an Amrican made company I really liked them but I feel they should have died as an American made company and not let Taylor buy the name and have all proucts made in China. With this complaint made lets move on to the knife.

Since I did not know anything about their knife I decided to study up on it. I found and read a review and watchd a Youtube video that I am posting here.

As I watched the reviews I realized that somebody really designed a well thought out knife here. I did not realize that Taylor/Schrade was making such a knife.

Here are the two reviews I read and watched.

http://ultimatesurvivaltips.com/schrade-extreme-survival-knife-review/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_B0SRsP_ag&list=UUvBrvjwF1Rn6RtjAQtnQMRQ&index=43

The guy who is doing the reviews kind of does reviews of lower grade of knives in my opinion but he has sold me on the SCHF9.

Now, will I go out and get one? NO I will not. I will not get one because it makes it too hard for my American made companies to compete and will cause them to go out of business in the long run. They are not in a fair competition here. Taylor is making these in China for so cheap that they can sell them here at a huge profit margen. If China had to pay their employes a fair amount I would say it is fair competition and buy one.

I iked the Schrade in theory from the reiews I seen and the few good comments I seen on ths post. If you get it I do not believe you would be getting a bad knife and that it would serve you well.

Of the two choics I would pick the Schrade SHF9 but I will never buy one so my choice is in theory only. If Schrade would make it here in the states and charge 90 bucks for one I would buy 2. One for me and one for my son.

I would also like to know what the hardness of the blade is. Until Schrade decides to make it here in the states get a Becker or Esee.

Last edited:
I just read that it is made in Taiwan.

To me Taiwan is the good china since they are a freedom loving country like us.

Its ok to buy 1 Taiwan made knife for every 10 American made knives you buy.

I am going to get one.

The Becker is a no brainer. Becker over Chinese Schrade all day long.

Ok, I'll chime in since I got both. And I like both, lol.

As it was mentioned by 42, the SCHF9 was designed by mistwalker. This knife is a sleeper at a bargain price. I haven't had any looseness or rattle - the tang holes are theaded and I put loktite in them just in case. You don't see many knives with threaded screw holes at the tang. The steel is 1095 - same as the BK2 - and it's a 1/4" thick - again, same as BK2. If you spend enough time hand sharpening your tools, a recurve blade should be no problem. On the sheath: I was really impressed. The plastic insert actually grips the blade via inside channels, thus eliminating rattle. The pouch is attached by velcros so you can remove it if you want a bigger one. I had no problem stuffing a small altoid with fire goodies and a vic bantam. The back has straps for MOLLE attachments and the belt loop has a velcro for easy removal without removing the belt.

And you get all this well-thought package for less than 40 bucks.

Now I'm not knocking on th mighty 2, I sure love mine. But I feel that a destruction derby, as so many have been done with the 2, with the SCHF9 is in order to establish it as a worthy contender.

I cliched mine just preserving the cool griffon logo and the model number, and I will get down to find something to destruct with it :D

2n94.jpg

2n9.jpg

2n93.jpg

44B6E9FB-orig.jpg

398DCC18-orig.jpg

search for "clich" or go to the becker sub forum, plenty of info. After stripping and some light polishing, dab the blade with gun blue and then dip in bleach for a couple of hours, then pull out, spray with windex, sand again and then blue. Mind you, this is a permanent scarring of the surface of the blade.

ok sky you win :D I'm just standing in a lil bit for the underdog

did some destruction today with the schf9. After processing a lot of branches (the recurve is excellent at snagging them, kinda like a kuk) I found a piece of rusty angular steel on the backyard. The wood batton didn't last much so a sledge was brought to finish it up.

D18A3375-orig_zpsdd48ec43.jpg

0E8B952C-orig_zpseecd138a.jpg

FD9DAB47-orig_zps0a806ece.jpg

FD9DAB47-orig_zps0a806ece.jpg

F0C4F49B-orig_zps20b47471.jpg

75F1CACF-orig_zpsd105d1ca.jpg

some bending and rolling, but no rips nor anything that 5 minutes on the belt didn't fix. I didn't measure the steel thickness but it's over 1/8".
Gotta get me some other stuff now :D

i have both you cant go wrong ethan got the bk2 right and mistwalker got the schf9 right!!!!

did some destruction today with the schf9. After processing a lot of branches (the recurve is excellent at snagging them, kinda like a kuk) I found a piece of rusty angular steel on the backyard. The wood batton didn't last much so a sledge was brought to finish it up.

some bending and rolling, but no rips nor anything that 5 minutes on the belt didn't fix. I didn't measure the steel thickness but it's over 1/8".
Gotta get me some other stuff now :D

That's pretty dang impressive for just about any knife.

Thanks for sharing that, Zulu! I like rooting for this knife because its an underdog and (like you said) kind of a sleeper, and now that you're showing what kind of abuse this 40 dollar knife can handle, maybe there'll be a couple fewer haters out there!

lol. yesterday after I took it to the belt I spent some idle time with a coarse, medium and fine grit diamond pads and then a thorough stropping, this thing shaves so easy right now, no signs of damage anywhere. Oh, and I forgot to mention - the strap is adjustable. I've only seen this in Spec-Ops sheaths. I still have to find something about this knife that I dont like.

Do you mean the snap strap that wraps around the handle? Or are referring to folding the main (vertical) sheath strap down for a high hip carry?

Back