Becker BK5 Fail!

Thanks for the reminder. Time to clean the sap and crud off the old girl. I plan to experiment with the Mag Camp as a fish filleter this weekend. If I catch anything, I'll do up some filleting pics using the 5. It's too early here to use it for slicing off wild mushrooms yet.
IMG_3324.jpg

You can definitely fix that - I have a cleaver that I sharpen at too narrow an angle. Makes it good for slicing, but I end up bending the edge when I chop through bones or frozen meat. When it gets too bad, I spend a few minutes with a hammer gently tapping it back straight. Few passes on a stone and it is back in action. Never had any issues with chipping, and it was a hell of a lot cheaper than a BKT.

We see complaints b/c this is an online BKT forum. I have a Glock 19 - it is dead perfect. But if you did nothing but read online, you would assume it is going to Kaboom any time now.

I have done the same thing with my Old Hickory cleaver. Just hammer it back, resharpen & your good to go. Got to expect that with thin blades & thin angles. I consider that "use", not abuse. I'd say it is good for kitchen & light duty camp use, but not hard use like a BK2 or Ontario RD Ready Deployment 1/4" thick blades. JMHO.

That bK 5 has some character to it, looks like you've been using it a good bit. I'd try to repair it as good as possible and it may show some damage still, but thats just like a scar. chicks dig scars.

Guys - he wasn't using a baton -- he said he was using it to cut a 2" thick baton for his buddy.
I still suspect a knot in the wood he was hacking at, but that's just a guess.

Thanks for the correction. I read in haste and got it in my head he was using a baton log.
I still vote knot or something similar. I've seen trees, even little ones, grow around all sorts of things. Rocks, barbed wire, you name it.

Solidly done. You made the knife yours and you learned something in the process. Bravo.

Excellent work, mon ami, excellent work. Now, that baby is yours.

Moose

There is a reason people say "it's tough as a pine knot". You can shoot a nail into a pine board and a knot will deflect it right back at you. A lesser knife would be ruined by whatever you hit, that one can be repaired. Come on in the house and stay a while, it's good to have you.

Could it be poor heat treatment? Seems like too flexible of an edge to me...

well, the alternative is that it breaks :)

one should not chop knots with any tool, if possible. bad news those.

Back