Becker Patrol Machete or Ontario RTAK

Beats me Jerry :)

Check out the Camillus forum for more on my thoughts about Ethan Becker and his products. Not only are his products sound but the man behind them is just as sound - with a ton of integrity.

Comparing the RTAK and PM is apples and oranges as I explained on the Cammillus thread. Of course those that don't use machetes too much wouldn't know that ;)

The PM is hands down the best machete I have ever used. Of course, for the price I can buy 10 Tramontinas and I love Tramontina machetes. It all depends on what the buyer/user needs and is willing to spend.

Jeff

Yep, I spoke with Ethan at the Shot Show. He's really quite a gentleman. I also had the opportunity to touch up a PM edge recently for someone headed to Costa Rica. It's a great design, and Camillus has done a great job executing it. Frankly, the steel surprised me; it's tough stuff. I spent a couple years in Panama once upon a time, so the merits of a good machete are appreciated.

Cam :

Why is it that the v grind does not bind as bad as say, a thin saber grind?

If you were to take a v-ground blade and just grind the sides down, it would transform into a sabre grind. This blade would now bind very badly because the wood would wedge tightly around the edge, this is how all machetes with flat sides perform on binding wood. When the blade as a whole distorts the wood (v-grinds), the wood will deform plastically to a much greater extent and thus loses some of its elastic nature which is what allows it to bind onto the blade.

Of course some woods don't bind on blades at all because they are so soft. Most of the woods around here when fresh for example like Pine and especially Alder, you can chew through with a cheap machete even when of a decent size, say 6"+ pine, isn't difficult. This is why traditional machetes (no primary grind) work so well on soft vegetation. However try the same blade on a piece of Black spruce and after you make one cut you have to get another knife to cut the machete out. Note as well that if you took the machete with no primary grinds that did work well on soft vegetation and gave it one (dual convex) it would work even better, however the improvement would be slight due to the lack of binding.

In regards to the ATC, no I have no experience with it. I have been looking for one on the secondary market as I have heard nothing but good things about it.

Jeff, first off, you are the one making the promotional claim and thus have the burden of proof. As for my opinion, based on the Ontarios I have used, exchanges with others, what I have read online, and the nonexistant interaction with Ontario, the QC of Ontario is not nearly as high as a decent level production company, let alone a small shop outfit like Livesay. Thus I don't think it reasonable to expect the same level of performance from an Ontario RTAK as one that was made by Livesay. Obviously people with different experiences with Ontario and Livesay will have different opinions. However there are some details that I assume are different such as didn't the Livesay's RTAK have a differential heat treat, do the Ontarios?

I would have assumed that if you payed the full price for a Livesay RTAK you could expect a better knife than the Ontario version, it is something like twice the cost after all. There is no one for example that promotes the production Bagwell bowie as being the same as a custom from Bagwell himself. Nor does Camillus promote their Fisk bowie as being equal to a Fisk custom. Those two production versions do differ from the customs in materials but in general for all production versions of custom blades there is the assumption that you are getting a lesser quality blade. Otherwise of course the actual custom is just more expensive with no advantages, which isn't a very common opinion.

Note,If you go to the RTAK page now, there is a paragraph which explains that the details it describes performance wise are in reference to testing done on the RTAK made by Newt Livesay *not* the Ontario RTAK. While I don't agree with the statement that the Ontario blade could be expected to give the same level of performance, this is just a matter of opinion, there is no misrepresentation being made, and with the facts clearly stated, people can decide for themselves. This paragraph was not present when I made the above comment.

-Cliff

Love ya Cliffy

I have come to the conclusion that your amazing psychic ability is not worth my time to respond.

So, Sister Cleo I have decided not to answer your "thoughts" on the subject. Basically, you're not worth anymore of my time.

Mr randell have you done any tests on the ontario rtak to see if it will handle and cut the same as the ones made by mr livesly also will the ontario rkat have the same heat treat as newts and if you have not done this teats do you plane on have them done by a independent party so that the results of the tests cannot be looked at as bias by anyone who reads them. no disrepsect meant

Lee Brooks
Knifemaker
BROOKSKNIVES.canada

brooksknives@hotmail.com

Lee, Jeff RandAll here.

Yes we have done side by side comparison with the Livesay model RTAK and yes the heat treat will be the same, and yes there are several independent parties that will be getting production samples for testing. The bottom line with all of this is just about any test on any knife will be looked at as "biased" by someone, so I have gone way past the point of worrying what "knife testers" have to say about a product. The independent testers that will be getting production samples are pretty much military guys and adventurers like ourselves. Our knives are used in real-world and not put in a deep freeze then thrown 30 feet in the air to fall on a concrete floor, nor do we do free hanging rope cutting tests, nor take an acetylene torch to them, or put them in a vice with a 5 foot cheater bar on the handle. If folks want a bulldozer then buy a bulldozer. If you want a knife that works for what it's designed for then we do that. I'm sure I will catch a few posts here that claim these "critical" tests are needed with a thousand reasons why, but our famous tester needs to get out of his backyard with a knife and use it to live on for a few weeks...then make a choice of whether it's "worthy." I do appreciate your post and question, but as you can see I'm pretty much fed up with the scientists and psychics who like to tell me every reason why the OldTimer pocket knife my grandad used for years on the farm to do every chore needed is sharpened at the wrong edge angle, or the wrong knife to cut a hay string or open a fertilizer sack.

Ontario doesn't impress me all that much. From what I've heard and read, from various sources, and from my own rather limited handling of a few Ontario knives in a store, Ontario doesn't come across as having as consistently a high quality product as I can expect from other, competing knife companies. Yes, I've read the various points of view expressed in this thread, with a healthy dose of scepticism towards the parties involved, and that's how I see it. It may be that the Ontario RTAK will be of consistently high quality, but I would have more confidence in, say, a Camillus/Becker product. Reputation, however formed, counts for something, whether it's a good reputation, a bad reputation, a neutral reputation, or no reputation. Nyaah.

Cold Steel heavy machete...$6 or less...Becker Rules..$80 is too much for a machete...but I warn u get a file..The CS will hold the edge after u put it there..and u can hack a salt treated 2x2 in half in 5 whacks or less..if ya know how to use a machete

The Cold Steel Machetes are sub $10 pieces of steel - and you truly get what you pay for.

I was less than impressed with the ones I handled. The Ontario Military Machete is a much better choice for not much more.

I've handled both the RTAK and the Becker. They are both fine tools with tons of thought and years of experience put into their designs. It's up to the end user to decide which they will like better, and for what reasons.

Kevin

Machete vs. Rtak

Each is a task specific tool ,while they will interchange for some jobs. I would no more try and traverse think expanses of jungle with a RTAK, than try and mow a hay field with a 22" push mower. On the other hand, serious splitting, thick wood chopping and shelter building, is where a design like the RTAK shines. Pounding the blade of most machetes through hardwood in an attempt to split it, is asking for potiental disaster in the form of broken blades. No so with dsigns like tht RTAK.

As to the inherent quality of the Ontario RTAK. I have owned several of their knives, all usere/beaters, and have never had a failure. "NO"..they are not Dozier/Hossom/Livsay class knives, but then they weren't ,meant to be. They were prices as what they were..production users. I believe quality control on the RTAK, and any subsequent products bearing the RAT logo will be scrutinized by the RAt folks for total realibility. They are placing their reputation on a product, as well as their dependence on the product in "real world' situations. They Ontario RTAK joins a line of highly tested and well thought out designs in recent years that have all proved to be completly reliable.
Wanta cut vines, juicy brush or or bamboo??/ Grab a good machete..
Want a heavy chopper for camp use , shelter building, fire wood. ect..."GO RTAK"

mr randell

thank you for responding to my inqury i do understand that no matter what you say or do ppl will always have a like or dislike for a certain knife company but is seems that you may have a good design and product going for you as far as i am concerned you are right abought testing in the real world a knife that can take abuse cutting 2by4s and bend so much may not last in a combat or jungle enviorment that is where the real tests are if you could let me know how they do in the real world i would like that i hope that ontario knives can give us a good knife for a far price and if they can then i look forword to buying a rtak from them good luck with your design and hope to see more of them

Lee Brooks
Knifemaker
BROOKSKNIVES.canada

brooksknives@hotmail.com

I am not sure, but isn't the RTAK closer to a Becker Brute than it is to a Patrol Machete? I looked at the RTAK before I got my Brute. Never regretted it, I love the Brute.:)

Back