Beckerhead firearms

Ruger 10/22

It’s not the best at anything in particular, but I may have more rounds through it than I do anything else. The receiver is the only thing left of a carbine that my grandfather bought for me in the late ‘90’s, a family tradition that he started with my uncles when they were of a certain age in the 1970’s. I think they must have been a little more rugged and outdoorsy than me because all four asked for Winchester model 70’s and Ruger M77’s in .270 and .30-06. I’ve always enjoyed shooting rimfire most of all. This rifle has been through several iterations and “build-offs” with buddies, which was a ton of fun. It now runs very smoothly, and has been dead nuts reliable even with subsonic ammo, but I mostly just shoot CCI and Aguila standard velocity. It’s a great little offhand gun.

Wbsrb7j.jpg

Factory Ruger receiver Cerakoted Sig Dark Grey. Timney 2 lb trigger group. Kidd bolt. PowerCustom guide rod, recoil spring, and charging handle. TacSol scope rail and barrel. Magpul stock. Leupold PRW rings and VX-I 2-7x28mm rimfire scope. Polyurethane bolt buffer and hex takedown screw. I use factory Ruger 10rd magazines.

Ruger 10/22

It’s not the best at anything in particular, but I may have more rounds through it than I do anything else. The receiver is the only thing left of a carbine that my grandfather bought for me in the late ‘90’s, a family tradition that he started with my uncles when they were of a certain age in the 1970’s. I think they must have been a little more rugged and outdoorsy than me because all four asked for Winchester model 70’s and Ruger M77’s in .270 and .30-06. I’ve always enjoyed shooting rimfire most of all. This rifle has been through several iterations and “build-offs” with buddies, which was a ton of fun. It now runs very smoothly, and has been dead nuts reliable even with subsonic ammo, but I mostly just shoot CCI and Aguila standard velocity. It’s a great little offhand gun.

Wbsrb7j.jpg

Factory Ruger receiver Cerakoted Sig Dark Grey. Timney 2 lb trigger group. Kidd bolt. PowerCustom guide rod, recoil spring, and charging handle. TacSol scope rail and barrel. Magpul stock. Leupold PRW rings and VX-I 2-7x28mm rimfire scope. Polyurethane bolt buffer and hex takedown screw. I use factory Ruger 10rd magazines.
Really sweet set up.
Do you happen to remember Chief AJ and his 10/22 and Mini14 builds.
Shooting clays with no sights I had his videos on VHS lol

Really sweet set up.
Do you happen to remember Chief AJ and his 10/22 and Mini14 builds.
Shooting clays with no sights I had his videos on VHS lol
Lol that’s amazing!

I’ve actually never heard of him! I’ve always loved those kinds of feats though-glass balls thrown and broken with rimfire rifles! The golden days of exhibition shooting. There was a time, years ago, when I said to myself “I’m going to learn to do that.” but of course I never did. I’m a pretty lousy shot, even with shotguns, and I don’t practice enough.

Those Mini-14 are pretty sweet. A stainless ranch was one of my first rifles, and of course I later sold it to help fund my early AR builds. Generally, it seemed like tastes changed quickly in the years following the expiration of that AWB. I’ve long since sold all my AR, and I find myself remembering the Mini through rose-colored glasses, more “fun” than my AR’s, both lighter and handier.

Give me a Mini14 and a paper clip and I’ll show you fun. Shoots when you pull the trigger and when you let go lol
Lol! I never tried it! But that does remind me of some Paladin Press books I used to own, back in those early post-ban days.

I used to work with a machine operator who had quite the collection of AK, and he said he never went shooting without a small piece of surgical tubing. A little different, but similar end result.

Lol! I never tried it! But that does remind me of some Paladin Press books I used to own, back in those early post-ban days.

I used to work with a machine operator who had quite the collection of AK, and he said he never went shooting without a small piece of surgical tubing. A little different, but similar end result.
Soldier of Fortune magazine. The Good Ole Days

Soldier of Fortune magazine. The Good Ole Days
I have only sporadic memories of the good ‘ol days, and I think I was a little late to the party, but oh boy do I wish I could go back and buy some of those Russian and Bulgarian parts kits! I never guessed that the AR and AK tables would turn so violently…

My first SKS was under $100 I should have bought them by the case!!!
Yup! About the time I had my first after-school jobs, you could have a NIB Norinco SKS rifle for $100, and the “paratrooper” carbine for $150. I think Chinasports was the importer. I don’t recall seeing the now ubiquitous Yugoslavian rifles, but maybe that was just a local anomaly? My only Russian SKS, bought around the same time, was an unissued laminate Tula rifle, made in 1954, and cost me all of $225. I think my grandfather may still have that rifle, together with one of those paratroopers, but sadly, knowing him, they won’t be in any kind of collector condition.

Yup! About the time I had my first after-school jobs, you could have a NIB Norinco SKS rifle for $100, and the “paratrooper” carbine for $150. I think Chinasports was the importer. I don’t recall seeing the now ubiquitous Yugoslavian rifles, but maybe that was just a local anomaly? My only Russian SKS, bought around the same time, was an unissued laminate Tula rifle, made in 1954, and cost me all of $225. I think my grandfather may still have that rifle, together with one of those paratroopers, but sadly, knowing him, they won’t be in any kind of collector condition.
I gave my last 59/66 to my grandson.
Your Tula 54 is a sweet rifle. The build quality was crazy good. Especially compared to norincos.

I gave my last 59/66 to my grandson.
Your Tula 54 is a sweet rifle. The build quality was crazy good. Especially compared to norincos.
Yes. I certainly thought so. They both worked fine, but there were several little bits of unnecessarily nice machining on the Tula rifle, and some parts that had clearly been hand-finished before blueing. The gas tube had some really svelte contours, as well as the bolt carrier, and the trigger guard assembly and magazine were nicely finished. The finer metal finish made the blueing appear deeper and darker. Just nicer throughout. I was incapable of comparing accuracy with those rifles. I’m so lousy with chunky military irons. Those Yugoslavian 59/66 are pretty neat, too. The grenade sights are fun.

My shooting buddy has a surplus Swedish Mauser carbine in 6.5x55mm. Sooo slick to operate. Lowest sight adjustment was for like 300yd, tho. I don't think he's addressed that yet.

Edited: yep, meant 6.5, not 6.8mm.

Last edited:
daizee daizee

The slickest WWI-era rifle I ever owned was a Swedish model of 1896 in 6.5x55 Swedish. Mine was just in middling condition overall, but the steel seemed incredible, and the action was smooth-as-glass. I think I recall reading that their steel contained extra nickel or vanadium or something.

On the other end of the spectrum was a Mosin, made in 1944, apparently using a 60grit belt sender. That action was so gummy and grindy and ill-fitted. I don’t know if mine was unissued, or just a clean arsenal refurb. I still don’t know how to spot the difference, but it was brought in by an importer, not brought back. I never fired it. I did, however, fire a buddy’s Mosin carbine, with a very short barrel, and it was absolutely brutal.

Yeah, the Swede's action is slick. I think it was an 1896 model, but I forget all the specs/details. Read up on all of it a couple years ago, but the head has emptied and refilled a couple times since then.

daizee daizee

The slickest WWI-era rifle I ever owned was a Swedish model of 1896 in 6.5x55 Swedish. Mine was just in middling condition overall, but the steel seemed incredible, and the action was smooth-as-glass. I think I recall reading that their steel contained extra nickel or vanadium or something.

On the other end of the spectrum was a Mosin, made in 1944, apparently using a 60grit belt sender. That action was so gummy and grindy and ill-fitted. I don’t know if mine was unissued, or just a clean arsenal refurb. I still don’t know how to spot the difference, but it was brought in by an importer, not brought back. I never fired it. I did, however, fire a buddy’s Mosin carbine, with a very short barrel, and it was absolutely brutal.
That would be the mosin 44 carbine with the side folding bayonet lol Brutal muzzle flash indeed.

That would be the mosin 44 carbine with the side folding bayonet lol Brutal muzzle flash indeed.
Thank you! I scanned Wikipedia and just became even more confused. Figured I’d play it safe.
The 6.5x55 Swedish is one of the most inherently accurate rounds ever invented
That’s what I’ve read. The first deer rifle I ever assembled was a Tikka T3 Hunter in 6.5x55 Swedish with a Zeiss Conquest MC 4x32mm. I’ve always tried to talk friends into it, those who aren’t going after larger game, but they invariably go for .300 WinMag just about every time, together with huge tactical/target scopes. I’m just so recoil sensitive, I know myself, and I’ve walked-up on plenty of deer over the years. I think I prefer the walk-up/brush-gun concept.

Tanker 1/66 Tanker 1/66

Awesome video! I hadn’t watched it before. Makes me want to run out and find another! I’m actually living vicariously through a buddy of mine right now. He bought a Yugoslavian Tokarev pistol a few months ago, and he’s been searching for the right SKS since then.

Back