Beckerhead Mon/Wed Alternate-side Snarking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't stand alternate side snarking. Sucks for those of us without a garage!

Yup.

Back to our discussion, I agree, right tool for the job. I have a few strikers, both forged and mass produced floating around in my kits. I also use a squared spine for scraping dry wood for tinder bundles.

I'm not gonna say that I use my spine more than the edge, but I use it for a few tasks that are a part of how I use a blade as a tool, and not just the edge.

Moose

Man, I come back to BF and I instantly lose $49.95.

truckers-friend-xl.jpg

I'm looking at you, Dubz!

Sometimes there is a snarking holiday!

I'm not gonna say that I use my spine more than the edge, but I use it for a few tasks that are a part of how I use a blade as a tool, and not just the edge.

Yeah, right now I'm trying to work another function into a knifey tool in another context. Two of my favorite pieces of your average SAK are the bottle and can openers. So handy for all sorts of light scraping, prying, and turning. I'd like to duplicate that in a fixed tool without it being an ergonomic nightmare.

In on page one!!!! Just spent an ungodly amount on text books. I can't wait to be done.

WTH is THAT!

In on 1, BTW. :cool:

Innovation Factory Trucker's Friend and Handy/Rescue All Purpose Tool, Made In The USA

Product Features
Handy all-purpose hand tool designed for professional truck drivers
Cut branches, pry loose nails, chip away hard-packed ice, and more
Includes curved axe, spanner, hammer, nail puller, tire chain hook, pry bar and lever
Shock-absorbing power grip and fiberglass handle
Made in the USA

It has a brother:

41t4kB1DpPL._SS400_.jpg

Innovation Factory IF 232 HRT Multi-Purpose Tool with Custom Leather Sheath and Shoulder Strap
Product Features
Meets all four categories for a fire department forcible entry tool
Includes leather sheath and shoulder strap
Reliable, versatile, affordable, patent pending
Lifetime replacement guarantee
For police, firefighters and rescue workers, made in USA

in on 1 -- how odd...
Moose -- instead of multicam spec ops, what's your opinion of the Texas Hunt Co walnut Brown 8" sheath?
I may have a spare....

I agree, no desire to have extra pieces around that might be lost or to try and keep up with. Besides, if I am wanting to prolong my edge and get shavings off a piece of wood easily a squared spine works amazingly.

Now one of the neater ideas I have see was to square a portion of the extended pommel on the knife, make it good and sharp. That would serve the same purpose, but put it away from your thumb. Now it wouldn't work for me, wanting to get shavings off of wood using my spine, but it would definitely work for a firesteel.

First page glory!
There will be jealousy...

Packing up to go spend a week at the lake.
A much needed vacation.

You guys ever see Joezilla's design, the Shango? Its got a steel striker on the pommel, and throws some serious gobs of molten metal.

Moose

Now one of the neater ideas I have see was to square a portion of the extended pommel on the knife, make it good and sharp. That would serve the same purpose, but put it away from your thumb. Now it wouldn't work for me, wanting to get shavings off of wood using my spine, but it would definitely work for a firesteel.

On one of my knives I filed the choil using a chainsaw file the same diameter as my firesteel.
It didn't work very well because the choil is, by nature, situated across the plunge where you can't get an even curved bearing surface. But if you are doing jimping on the spine, the firesteel notch is a good option, IMO. You can dress the exposed corners to be human-friendly, but keep the inside curve reasonably sharp. I'm not a huge fan of that on knife that will see batoning, tho. Despite how it seems to be a non-issue on beckers and esees, for instance, it still gives me the heebies.

-Daizee

On one of my knives I filed the choil using a chainsaw file the same diameter as my firesteel.
It didn't work very well because the choil is, by nature, situated across the plunge where you can't get an even curved bearing surface. But if you are doing jimping on the spine, the firesteel notch is a good option, IMO. You can dress the exposed corners to be human-friendly, but keep the inside curve reasonably sharp. I'm not a huge fan of that on knife that will see batoning, tho. Despite how it seems to be a non-issue on beckers and esees, for instance, it still gives me the heebies.

-Daizee

Yeah, heebies is a good'un.

I've never been a fan of cutting stress risers in a knife blade, but that's just me.

Moose

You guys ever see Joezilla's design, the Shango? Its got a steel striker on the pommel, and throws some serious gobs of molten metal.

Moose

that's sweet. I was thinking of a similar treatment for a different purpose on an indoors rather than an outdoors knife. HMMMMmmm.....

Never seen that before Moose, decent looking little knife.

Now, for the record, I started off having a separate striker for my firesteel, (County Comm straight widgy prybar with one of the edges squared up) but after awhile trying to keep up with the striker was more hassle than it was worth, especially when I had a knife that with (a minimum of) modding can serve the same purpose as well as another.

that's sweet. I was thinking of a similar treatment for a different purpose on an indoors rather than an outdoors knife. HMMMMmmm.....

Joe showed me the prototype a couple of years ago, and we used it on one of my 3/8" misch metal rods.

BURN BABY BURN.

Moose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back