Beckerhead Music

I was 19 at the time. Every body else playing on the corners were young college kids around my age. Stevie would have been in his late 20s I would guess. He died in 1990 bout 7 years after I first met him.

G Gun Doc I got to watch Cheap Trick for $5 at some dive club in Harker Heights outside of Killeen TX Before they got famous again lol

I reckon when you are 19 on 6th Street a lot of people seem old! Stevie Ray was 35 when he died, so I guess he was 27-28 when you met him.

My wife has Stevie Ray's autograph around here somewhere. He was on a Southwest Airlines flight she was on back in the day. The crew made a pretty big deal of it, which of course kept him from being low key and incognito as possible. But she said he couldn't have been nicer and signed a ton of autographs. This was before everyone had a camera in their phone.

I'm getting old. MANY years ago went to a few concerts in San Antonio, where I grew up. I saw Led Zep live. This "unknown" band opened for them who had a flutist that stood on one leg kinda like a flamingo. Yep, Jethro Tull. Missed Willie Nelson's first 4th of July picnic. But I was at the second one.

Can't talk metal without mentioning the "Big 4". More specifically in regards to Thrash Metal which is its own genre and is usually marked by its speed, ferocity, anger, and politics.

Those familiar with the Big 4 know that it consists of Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and Anthrax. Metallica lost their Big 4 credentials a long time ago and it's unfortunate that they have never bothered to recover them since...

Personally, though I like Anthrax, their membership could be deemed as questionable due to their dabblings in punk and hip hop in the past.

In all honesty I think the Big 4 should have included Testament and Exodus instead of Metallica and Anthrax, but that is certainly just my opinion...

Here is a track from Metallica's early days when they were arguably at the top of the thrash metal food chain. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why these guys are considered thrash metal gods and it is such a shame that they have fallen so far...

As difficult and troublesome a person Dave Mustaine has proven to be over the years, you cannot deny his technical genius. He has experimented over the years, releasing numerous Megadeth albums that range from speedy technical masterpieces to short poppy hooks that draw even the most mundane of masses in...

Slayer pretty much epitomizes what the Big 4 is all about and despite some odd albums over the years and some tragic lineup changes, they still have demonstrated they can produce some kickass metal. I'd recommend checking out their recent Repentless album, it is quite good. This track is an oldie but a goodie.

I find Anthrax to be a bit more whimsical and fun loving compared to the others but they are undoubtedly awesome. Despite some breaks, lineup changes, and plain duds of an album, they have persevered and are still producing some great metal. I find this tune to be quite reflective of their general attitude.

I mentioned earlier that I thought Testament and Exodus should have been considered to be at the top and though I am still off that mindset, the fact that both bands have been plagued by troubles in the past has definitely contributed to their lack of popularity.

Both bands still produce excellent music, Testament in particular, has aged exceptionally well, their music just keeps getting better and better. Both Testament and Exodus make current Metallica look like a poppy boy band...

Looks like I can only post 5 vids at a time...

Continued....

Honorable obscure mention : Holy Moses

Enjoy!

I know the bar you are talking about.
Saw Joan Jett there in 87, I was also in the 2AD.
My unit was 2/5 ADA, right by the big water tower.
Shoot em Down.

I was down the road with the 1/66th Armor Iron Knights across from Burger Haven and the 2AD movie theater. Were you the unit with the Chaparrals mounted on M113s

The Chaparrals were in my unit but I was 16S Stinger missile and we were grouped together with the Vulcan 20mm guys.
We were A battery, the Chaps were in a building next to us.
The 520MP’s were behind us.

I think you’re right about the clubs name.

Me and a couple other guys had a trailer in Harker Heights.
I do regret not seeing SRV as I did make the Austin trek many a weekend in my trusty Dodge Dart.

The big 4 haven’t grown on me like I expected them to, whereas Iron Maiden is one of my favorites (It may be because I saw Maiden live).

Anyway, I still enjoy the thrash genre, there are some newer bands that have appealed to me enough to recommend some songs. I’d give summaries of the sounds, but really they’re all thrash so it sounds very similar throughout the genre.

These guys opened for Amon Amarth, probably the best opening act in any concert I’ve been to, the shredding is quite fun live.

As a balance to the thrash metal, here are a couple more unique bands I enjoy, blends of folk music and other genres really sounds good to me, and especially if it’s in the native language where the band’s from.

These folks are from Japan, and sound like it; a great blend of classical Japanese instruments and a modern drum kit.

These crazy people are Russian, and manage to capture the sound of Russian folk music and blend it into a metal band. Plus, the lead singer manages to have fun with the vocals, sometimes managing some metal growling which is surprising. I was able to see the live and it was a blast, quite the party in the mosh pit.

way too many 90s singers, and too young. For some reason, "linger" popped in my head yesterday out of the blue and I was singing it. Shocked when I heard the news over the radio an hour ago.

The Chaparrals were in my unit but I was 16S Stinger missile and we were grouped together with the Vulcan 20mm guys.
We were A battery, the Chaps were in a building next to us.
The 520MP’s were behind us.

I think you’re right about the clubs name.

Me and a couple other guys had a trailer in Harker Heights.
I do regret not seeing SRV as I did make the Austin trek many a weekend in my trusty Dodge Dart.

Talk about music to my ears. I would hang out on East Range road at Tank Table 8 just to watch the vulcans do night fire quals. Glorious sights and sounds.

Hit the gym pretty hard this morning. These two songs from Skillet will definitely get me moving. Was a burpee machine...

It doesn't hurt that their drummer is a great looking girl who also can sing while drumming and is very sweet in real life. Much love for Jen Ledger.

I mean seriously.
Female in a metal band- rare.
Female drummer- rare.
Drummer who sings- rare.

All of those together? one in a million.

I've really been feeling skillet recently. Ever since i saw them open for Stone Sour and Korn back in August or September, I'm really digging it.

I very much appreciate women's contributions and involvement in metal and I think you might find that it is more prevalent then you think.

Doro Pesch is a goddess and goes way back. She is still making music too!

Angela Gossow used to front the mainstream melodic death metal band, Arch Enemy. She is a kickass vocalist and I felt she really brought something special to the band.

Allissa White-Gluz (who used to front The Agonist) replaced Angela a few years ago and though she is quite good and brings a bit of polish to the band, I still prefer Angela.

I'm not a huge Otep fan but Otep Shamaya is rather incredible. Definitely one of the better nu-metal bands out there.

Can't talk female metal vocalists and not mention Tarja Turunen, formerly of Nightwish. Incredible voice, she made Nightwish, a symphonic metal band, what it is today.

I very much appreciate women's contributions and involvement in metal and I think you might find that it is more prevalent then you think.

Hold up.. all those, and you didn't mention Maria Brink of In This Moment?

Speaking of "goddess"

latest

(edited quote so that I did not go over the "5 pieces of media" limit. Above is not complete quote from Padruig)

I'll still hold that female metal drummers who sing are an exceptionally rare breed. You can have any two of those... but all three together?

Speaking of "goddess"

latest

(edited quote so that I did not go over the "5 pieces of media" limit. Above is not complete quote from Padruig)

I'll still hold that female metal drummers who sing are an exceptionally rare breed. You can have any two of those... but all three together?

Ha! I certainly thought of her, but can only post so many pieces of media...

And I would agree, a female metal vocalist who also plays drums is rare indeed. Even male vocalists who drum are a bit few and far between.

I wanted to mention Lita Ford too, she is an '80s icon. I love this duet with Ozzy.

Which reminds me that Doro Pesch also did a duet with Udo Dirkschneider.

Angela Gossow used to front the mainstream melodic death metal band, Arch Enemy. She is a kickass vocalist and I felt she really brought something special to the band.

Allissa White-Gluz (who used to front The Agonist) replaced Angela a few years ago and though she is quite good and brings a bit of polish to the band, I still prefer Angela.

I'm not a huge Otep fan but Otep Shamaya is rather incredible. Definitely one of the better nu-metal bands out there.

Can't talk female metal vocalists and not mention Tarja Turunen, formerly of Nightwish. Incredible voice, she made Nightwish, a symphonic metal band, what it is today.

Speaking of "goddess"

Ha! I certainly thought of her, but can only post so many pieces of media...

And I would agree, a female metal vocalist who also plays drums is rare indeed. Even male vocalists who drum are a bit few and far between.

I wanted to mention Lita Ford too, she is an '80s icon. I love this duet with Ozzy.

Which reminds me that Doro Pesch also did a duet with Udo Dirkschneider.

You fellows have good taste in female vocalists, but you are missing some pretty epic ones. Sadly, there are very few female drummers so there are significantly fewer female-drummer-vocalists.

Xandria seems to have a rotating cast of vocalist, but far and away the best one they've had was Manuela Kraller, she was one of the few who could compete with Tarja for best operatic vocals in a metal band. Plus, the album she did with Xandria is easily their best piece of work so far.

Their newest album is probably their second-best as their newest vocalist is also quite talented.

cont.

But, the best for last, far and away my favorite female-fronted band. Epica has everything you could want: a gorgeous classicly-trained lead singer in Simone Simons, who is pretty handily backed up with death-like growls and a magnificently symphonic sound perfectly blended with some bits of melodic death metal. One of the hardest bands to fit into a genre, but just amazing to hear.

This is the song that introduced me to them, on the first of their albums to really expand on their overall blend.

Then, you have their second-newest album, probably my favorite full album but lacking any major standalone singles. Still, just listen to this and see for yourself how great they sound. They really fleshed out their melodic death influences on this album, I would recommend the whole album as a playthrough as it really blends together.

This one is just insane on all levels...

Finally you have their newest album: builds off the one prior, slight decrease in the death influence and a little more grooviness slipped in, as a whole the album is another solid entity.

Having seen them live (They were the headliner with Fleshgod Apocalypse, Arkona, and the Agonist as guests, simply fantastic concert), this song really is better listened to when in a mosh/dance pit.

Epica is an appropriate name for their band, I often get shivers listening to their works. They have one of the most solid discographies of any bands I am a fan of, their earlier work is a bit less polished and has one fewer guitarists so it's heavier on the bass and groove, they're probably my second-favorite band overall.

Back