Beckerheads on Ice

Tanker 1/66

Gold Member
Did a Little Ice fishing on Sunday. Annual Wolf Lake NY fishing contest. Pickerel, Perch, Crappie and yes Sunfish. Didn't win but Good Day for sure. Started out at 3º 20~30 mph winds all day. But warmed up to a Blistering 21º Sorry no Becker content I dropped my Bk14 thru an ice hole trying to tighten a spool with iced over hands:(

Last edited:
You deserve a Trophy just for showing up ! That's mighty cold :eek: shame about your knife.

Nope. Not gonna happen. :eek:

"Fun on ice" sound like an oxymoron.

Rum on ice - check
Capt'n on ice - check
Tea on ice - check
Even Patron on ice makes more sense.

Ice has only 2 legitimate places in my life - the freezer or a glass.:D

How deep is the water?
Go back and hit the hole with a strong rare earth magnet on a line. Get back out there and catch yourself a Trophy BK14 pounder!

Lookin’ good tank-man! Might as well do something useful in that kind of weather.
How thick is the ice there?

How deep is the water?
Go back and hit the hole with a strong rare earth magnet on a line. Get back out there and catch yourself a Trophy BK14 pounder!

This. I have a magnet with a handle, and a hank of paracord in my pack when I’m on the ice for just this kind of emergency. I’m clumsy enough that I know it’s just a matter of time before I drop something down the hole...

Lemme get this straight: you go out in freezing, substantially sub-freezing to be more accurate temperatures with stiff winds only to not catch fish and ... lose your Becker.

Newsflash, one can go through far less adversity to drink!

You are a better man than me. You should definitely get some type of award.

NJBillK NJBillK , A Aikiguy , bearfacedkiller bearfacedkiller , SALTY SALTY My disclaimer lol I'm born and raised in Florida and this was my first time ice fishing. I just had to experience it. And yes I'm planning on going again. Now I did catch a lot of fish just not big enough to win Damn it!!!!!! I caught a lot of bass but they are out of season and I had to release them. I caught a perch that won on length but lost on weight. And a couple 22-23 inch pickerel. But 25 and change won.
The ice was bout 12-15 inches thick and we sounded the depth to 8 feet. As for my poor Bk14 well!!!! I was pretty upset at first but I consoled myself. I thought maybe next spring somebody fishing will snag it and by doing so I will have created a New Becker Lover. Just look at this wonderful knife I pulled out of the lake Let me check this BK&T company out. So in essence I'm still fishing and with really Good bait:)

That looks awesome. Ive always wanted to go ice fishing, but rarely lived anywhere that it was a safe endeavor. Bummer on the dropped knife.

Damn, no ice shanty. That's hardcore man, hardcore.

I think I can get it. o_O
pIRgwTb.jpg

One of my favorite icefishing knives is my Spyderco Swick. It has a Fred Perrin inspired finger hole in it. I can hold it with my index finger through the hole while tying knots with no risk of dropping it. Even if you do not drop a knife in a hole I can report from experience that knives do not like to be dropped on ice and it can damage the tip or edge. I carry the Swick clipped to the shoulder strap of my Carhartt coveralls.

wpYMkTm.jpg

EkvCLAy.jpg

dHbgGMP.jpg

Nope. Not gonna happen. :eek:

"Fun on ice" sound like an oxymoron.

Rum on ice - check
Capt'n on ice - check
Tea on ice - check
Even Patron on ice makes more sense.

Ice has only 2 legitimate places in my life - the freezer or a glass.:D

BINGO!

How deep is the water?

Now that would be a story worth retelling. I'd for damn sure give it a try.

Back