Behold, Stormbreaker (with WIP pics)

Great job Stabman, I like the looks. The handle is simple but I found that handle work was the hardest thing for me. You get used to the hardness of steel and then wood just gets removed so fast and burns quick too (Not that your handles were wood). I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

That is excellent. Great job!

Thank you.:)

Very nice, good job.It is a very good looking, heavy duty chopper. Should be a great camp knife.

I can't wait to get a chance to put it through its paces...the only thing I've been able to chop so far is potatoes. :D

I love the tip on that chopper , mean looking !

Tostig

I like the tip as well. I wasn't sure what sort of tip I was going to go with at first...I just went with the flow.

But, the blade could be just a liiil bit longer :D

At first I thought of a longer blade actually, but then realized that I'd probably carry it VERY rarely if I did (I realize your post was in jest;))

Great job Stabman, I like the looks. The handle is simple but I found that handle work was the hardest thing for me.

At first I was thinking of a more complicated handle shape, but then I realized that the most comfortable knives I've used tended to have rather simple handles.

And CM, you're right, it IS addictive. I have some mammoth handle slabs calling to me for a blade.

For hardening, I went with non-magentic (when the magnet won't stick).
That's also a glowing cherry red type of colour.

For forging, I was generally going for red hot. I had to run from the forge-pit-thing to the shed where the anvil was.

Sometimes it was in the coals for 10 minutes-25 minutes. For hardening, I had it in there a good 10 minutes at full heat at least, between 10-15 minutes. I normalized it once, and after that, I had it in the coals for about 30 minutes before cranking the temp up for getting it ready for heat treat.

A proper forge with an actual read-out would be SO much better and easier. The magnet can let you know when you're about hot enough, but not if you get too hot. I doubt that it got too hot, given the time it took along the way at times.

At least the omens were positive.;)

Went through 38 POUNDS of charcoal that day!:eek:

Thank you! It gives some pointers .. maybe one day if I have the chance ...

Stabman, it's not often that I see something truly, very cool on these forums anymore and that my friend is truly a cool well sorted out design. Love the sweep on that belly and those handles look extra comfortable....now just beat the crap put of it and report on how it holds up.

Great Job!

Forgot to say, awesome!
:D

Agree, simple handle usually is most comfortable, unless it's made molded to one's grip (but it'll be single mode grip only)

Back