Belts per knife?

Do you grind down the initial square edge with an old belt first? If you use on old belt to knock that down first then switch to a new belt for the the remainder of the bevel, you can save some of the life of the belt.
Im going to start doing this also. When starting off with the square edge on a new belt you can feel the grit just flying everywhere! Don't know why i never thought to do this.

In my experience, 984's up to like 80 will cut to some fair degree until the backing is pretty much shot unless you gum them up with wood, etc. when they get "low" . The trick is to figure out how to preserve the backing. The 120 ceramics done last nearly as long because the grain seems too be small to break as many times. I did notice that the 984's last longer that the previous model Blaze backing. It gummed up.

These where all done with one 50grit blaze belt. There was 10 but I lost one one when the point caught the rubber wheel and was shot into the concrete. I still have that blade to remind me never to do that again.
Photo%20Nov%2019%2C%2010%2025%2009%20PM.jpg

From what I have been told and seen, those heavy belts will last longer hogging on a wheel, especially a serrated wheel compared to a platen.
These where all done with one 50grit blaze belt. There was 10 but I lost one one when the point caught the rubber wheel and was shot into the concrete. I still have that blade to remind me never to do that again.
Photo%20Nov%2019%2C%2010%2025%2009%20PM.jpg

Yeah I find the belts last longer using the contact wheel then the glass platen. I have never tried a serrated wheel but would like to.

I've been using Norton r999b and redheat belts lately. I do l my blades under 1/8" thick entirely with 60 grit after heat treat. So far the 60 grit redheat I'm on has done two chefs knives, three paring knives, two liner lock blades, a fillet knife, and it'll be good for a few more yet.
The r999b belts in 36 usually last me 8-10 blades depending on the knife and steel.
They cost about half of what cubitron belts do up here, so I'll take it.

I've tried all the belts and 3m 984f in 36, 50 & 60 are on top. They just keep cutting aggressively until all the grit is gone.

I've been using Norton r999b and redheat belts lately. I do l my blades under 1/8" thick entirely with 60 grit after heat treat. So far the 60 grit redheat I'm on has done two chefs knives, three paring knives, two liner lock blades, a fillet knife, and it'll be good for a few more yet.
The r999b belts in 36 usually last me 8-10 blades depending on the knife and steel.
They cost about half of what cubitron belts do up here, so I'll take it.
Oops, I haven't tried that belt. Never heard of em.

I've tried all the belts and 3m 984f in 36, 50 & 60 are on top. They just keep cutting aggressively until all the grit is gone.
The Norton r999b and redheat belts act like that too. Keep cutting fast and cool.
Blaze or vsm I'd be tossing them out at the 4-5 mark. Klingspor ceramics are worthless even when fresh. Nothing I hate more than a slow and hot belt
These belts are fairly new, and I'm not sure how readily available they are down there. Tru grit doesn't sell them. Canadian knifemaker supply started carrying them recently, and I've been thrilled with them ever since. Cubitrons are $20+ per belt by the time I get them up here, these are about $10

The Norton r999b and redheat belts act like that too. Keep cutting fast and cool.
Blaze or vsm I'd be tossing them out at the 4-5 mark. Klingspor ceramics are worthless even when fresh. Nothing I hate more than a slow and hot belt
These belts are fairly new, and I'm not sure how readily available they are down there. Tru grit doesn't sell them. Canadian knifemaker supply started carrying them recently, and I've been thrilled with them ever since. Cubitrons are $20+ per belt by the time I get them up here, these are about $10
Damn, Cubitron 984s' are less than $10 with shipping here.

Damn, Cubitron 984s' are less than $10 with shipping here.
Exchange rate, shipping, taxes, extortion at the boarder, ect
Haven't found anyone up here that sells them. Although I've heard pops is a lot better for 984s than tru grit... That could be part of the problem too
As a result I try to use Norton ceramics and klingspor everything else as much as possible. About all I order up abrasive wise anymore is trizact and cork belts. Between our dollar going down, and the charges at the boarder going up, its became pretty painful.

Exchange rate, shipping, taxes, extortion at the boarder, ect
Haven't found anyone up here that sells them. Although I've heard pops is a lot better for 984s than tru grit... That could be part of the problem too
As a result I try to use Norton ceramics and klingspor everything else as much as possible. About all I order up abrasive wise anymore is trizact and cork belts. Between our dollar going down, and the charges at the boarder going up, its became pretty painful.
Yeah, that's what I figured.
Pops' is were I get 98% of the belts we use. Price & service is the best.

In the last couple of years, belts like the 36 grit 984's and Blaze bets have gotten as high as $12.50. The heavy belts are the most expensive. I am getting ready to finally take Don's advice and buy some cup wheels for heavy stuff like scale removal.

Don, did you see that Pops and a couple of others now have a 984 in 120 grit? I want to get some of those.

Strange, I will take pictures of all blade I was already grind with one Klingspor CS 910 Y 40 grit / 50 x 1020 mm /. . .I have not tried any other brand yet .
BW , do you think that belt speed have impact on lifetime of ceramic belts ??

Back