Benchmade 530 vs. 940 Comparison Pics

I have a 530 and a 941. If I could only get one, by all means, I'd get a 940 series. So much more versatility and strength. (Yes, the aluminum scales are vulnerable to scratching/cosmetic blems... but they'll feel just fine in your hand.)

If you're focused on food prep, though, neither calls out strongly to me! But I could check out the new 2014 version of the 530, that features G10 scales... it's a tiny bit heaving, but likely tougher... and features a new grind shape that'd likely be better with food (a guess). To be honest, you'll like any of the above! Good luck.

I don't know what you will think of the Aluminum scales either, and how they are more susceptible to scratches.
But I do know that I would pick my 940 over a 530 any day.
The weight of a 940 is not a concern at 2.9 oz, it's just plain light and still surprisingly durable.
The only issue I had with the 940, if you can call it that, is the need to blue Loctite the pivot screw to keep it in just the right place.
Also, consider the 943, I like it even more than my 940.

I just call Cabela's in Hamburg, PA. I've been there before and they're about 1hr 45min away from me. I called and they have several 530's and 940's in-stock. I'm thinking of taking a road trip this morning, so I can see, touch and feel these knives and purchase the one that seems the best for my purposes. I just hope that 1) I can get out of there without purchasing both of these knives and 2) I don't leave with a bunch of ammo that I really don't need.

I just call Cabela's in Hamburg, PA. I've been there before and they're about 1hr 45min away from me. I called and they have several 530's and 940's in-stock. I'm thinking of taking a road trip this morning, so I can see, touch and feel these knives and purchase the one that seems the best for my purposes. I just hope that 1) I can get out of there without purchasing both of these knives and 2) I don't leave with a bunch of ammo that I really don't need.
If you are able to touch and feel then that is the best way to go. I was lucky enough to do this.
Ended up with both as they are very different knives.
Cheers

Changed the clip on my 940
7xH0Onwl.jpg

Alhdd5Hl.jpg

CHk3Ioyl.jpg

Cheers

Which clip is that on your 940?

Perhaps 2014 model of 531 would be better to compare. 530 has very plastic feel and it seems to slip a bit with bottom 3 fingers when I try to open it.

I personally prefer 94X series with solid Anodized aluminum.

MFL

Yea, I agree. I since have a First Production run of the 531 in addition to the 940, so all my questions concerning the two have been answered. I'm assuming you took the paint off that 810 clip.

I prefer the 530 over the 940. Why? I dunno it's nearly the same size. Just fits my hand better...maybe it's also the aluminum scales so easily scuffed.
That's when you just send them off to get reanodized. It only cost me $30 and I now have a custom 940. Hopefully the guy on eBay that sells the damascus blades will make some more 940 blades and I'll have a really custom 940...

I don't leave with a bunch of ammo that I really don't need.
There's no such thing as unneeded ammo unless you're buying in calibers you don't shoot.

Yea, I agree. I since have a First Production run of the 531 in addition to the 940, so all my questions concerning the two have been answered. I'm assuming you took the paint off that 810 clip.
Nope. The clip on the 810 is satin. The clip on the 810BK is black. Just call and ask for a couple clips for the 810.

Pretty crappy picture, I know, but here's my new 531 sporting an 810 pocketclip. I'm not sure if I'll leave that installed or go back to the OEM clip.

These two pics are with the stock clip.

2014-02-18_17-43-49_225Small_zps627495a2.jpg

2014-02-18_17-43-42_450Small_zps08ab2d4f.jpg

These are with the 810 deep-carry clip.

2014-02-18_17-49-34_120Small_zps27ab0e43.jpg

2014-02-18_17-49-49_46Small_zpsbc7d3053.jpg

I've got the 943 that I EDC as my uniform knife when I'm not in the field, and I've got a pre-order on the carbon fiber variant 940-1 that's coming out soon. I've never seen a deep carry clip on it before. That's pretty sweet. I'm going to have to look into that.

Thanks. It's nice. It carry well, the fit/finish are great, it's grippy enough for me, the weight and narrowness of the knife is fantastic. Will it be a long-term EDC for me? I'm not sure yet. I have to spend more time with my 940, before making that call.

For me, my EDC choices have been narrowed down to the 531, the Chaparral or the 940. As much as I love the knife, I can't EDC my Sage-1. It's just too chunky for me.

Glad to see you got both. I carried a 940 for many years. I always wanted a 530, but I've never owned one. I do own 2 940s still, although I don't carry them often.

I will try a 810 clip on my 943 and post some pics in a couple of weeks

Back