Benchmade 940-1501 vs Spyderco Para-Military2 S110V : Which would you prefer ?

The S110v Para 2 isn't a KW exclusive?
I'd go with that for price/performance/ergos.

The s110v PM2 is full production. Not sure if they're eventually phasing the s30v out or not...the two M4 versions coming out (hopefully) this year are exclusives. I think it's BladeHq and Knifeworks. I'm really looking forward to the M4.

I would probably pick the Paramilitary for $70 dollars cheaper, and I don't think build quality is much different personally. But if I have extra money at some point I may try the new 940 knifeworks exclusive.

PM2 all day long. Until earlier this year I was a Benchmade diehard. The PM2 is my daily carry now. Such a superb knife.

I'd take the PM2. It is, for me, much more comfortable for extended cutting than the 940 platform. To be honest, I think the focus of design in a knife like the 940 is to be slim, light and pocketable, but with that focus I don't see a tremendous advantage to having steels with extreme wear resistance. I'd much rather see those steels in knives that are designed with extended cutting in mind. In my mind a steel like S110V or 20CV is best paired with a full, contoured handle for maximum comfort during the cut. That seems like the way to really take advantage of the characteristics of the steel.

I've handled a 940-1 and wasn't really blown away by the size or blade shape. Additionally, it seems a bit too teensy to have such a thick blade - it's like having a swiss army knife with a 0.20" blade stock.**

The Paramilitary is a knife I've never really fallen in love with, but it'd be that much better of a cutting tool than the 940. I think I'd rather have the PM2, but I'd really rather have the M390 Contego over either, and I don't really want any of them (or I would own them!)

The 940-1501 doesn't have to killer value that the other KnifeWorks exclusives have. Large Ritter Grip in M390 for 140! M390 Contego for 180! 20CV 940 for... 221? Pass. I could get a S90V/CF 940-1 for that much any day of the week.

**To clarify, I know that the 940-1 doesn't have a 0.20" blade stock. It was an example.

I would take Para2 S30V over S110V anyday. My experience with Manix LW S110V are very disappointed.... it just hold an edge worse than S30V.

Well I have had both knives but not the same steel on the PM2. I guess it would all boil down to how you use your EDC. Personally for my daily use the 940 design is perfect. The blade to handle ratio is great, blade shape is great, love the axis lock, slim and disappears in the pocket.

PM2 had better ergos for extended use and harder cutting tasks. If the PM2 disappeared in the pocket like the 940 I might still have it. Both great knives but it all comes down to use and comfort.

In my mind, the Spyderco PM2 is the overall winner here. I will admit, however, the 940 is a great knife. I recently had a chance to purchase a 940 LE Gold box model. I passed on the chance but, now that I have handled one I can see why the knife has such a cult following.

Not really sure which one I would buy if I was in the market for a new knife.

I would take the 940 over the PM 2 just because I happen to like the 940 better. I have had both, and the PM2 just didn't have the blade:handle ratio that I like, and seemed too big for such short cutting edge. The 940 is slimmer, has more cutting edge, and a shorter handle. To my standards it is a better EDC knife (for me). Value is a totally different ball game, and I am looking at the 940-1 on the exchange for low $200's often. That would be my choice.

I would go with the Para myself, but I don't mind the wide profile.
Both great knives, but very different.
Just go with the design you like the best.

Both are great designs. There's a reason the 940 has been a staple in Benchmade's line up and the PM2 has been sold out for so long. Both of them resonate with users!

I just sold a PM2 and at first I was head over heals for it. I really don't have anything bad to say about the knife. The handle was a bit small for my hands unless I used the choil which was super comfortable! Great slicer; love that full flat grind. The spydie hole is very useful. The knife does carry fairly large although I consider it light for it's size.

I just picked up a 940 (again). I'm amazed at how easy it is to carry this knife. Super slim and compact but with a great blade length!

I have 2 of each......940's both have custom scales from DOAT.
I absolutely love the 940 platform......but if I had to choose between the 2 I'd go for the PM2 in this case.
Also, I think the PM2 just looks bad ass with those scales.
Who am I kidding.....I'll prob wind up with both.

I have 2 of each......940's both have custom scales from DOAT.
I absolutely love the 940 platform......but if I had to choose between the 2 I'd go for the PM2 in this case.
Also, I think the PM2 just looks bad ass with those scales.
Who am I kidding.....I'll prob wind up with both.

That's the spirit! :thumbup:;):D

I've owned three PM2's; all were awesome and I kind of regret getting rid of them. I have not tried a 940 but they are an iconic knife IMHO as it is a really nice design and has better blade to handle ratio. :thumbup:

A PM2 in s110v would be hard to beat though... :eek::thumbup:

Czechmate.......get a 940 in your hands!!
You will love it!!
When my first one arrived I handled it for 5 minutes.....then my sons saw it......never saw it again!!!
Had to buy the other guy one then 2 more for myself!!!
All around great blade that is the most fun to play with!!
Joe

Personally for high end steels I'd pick the S90v, 940-1 because of the blade's geometry. The 940 is not as wide, thin enough yet decently stocky to handle tougher jobs.
I've tested the PM2/940-1. The PM2 did slightly better at slicing but when slicing thicker and wider materials the 940 did better due to the less wide blade.
The only problem I would have with the PM2 using S110v is the already delicate tip. I'd advice the Manix 2 in flat grind using S110v.
The PM2 has already delicate enough, with a steel like S110V and hardness run it would be prone to breaking like you have no idea. Out of the 2 PM2's I tested both ended with damaged tips. Doing simple wood whittling/tip drilling jobs.

Another vote for the PM2. It is just about the perfect EDC and that steel would just push it over.

Back