benchmade 940 vs bugout

benchmade 535 bugout or benchmade 940 osborne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
bugout with carbon fiber, 940 variant, stock bugout. in that order. the top two is a really close, but I think the stock bugout is just not the knife the 940s are. the solid condensed feel, and the long pretty blade shape do it for me. not in every knife, but it's found that edc niche and it works there. as lots have said, the bugout is a different knife entirely with after market scales

This, except I prefer the 943 to the 940.

I’d also suggest the OP consider the Amicus - out of the box it has the best of both and more - Bugout’s almost flat grind and thin blade stock, S90V and aluminum scales for a bit more substance but you need to like the assisted flipper action.

A
Bugout. It's better in every way after a scale upgrade IMO. My 940-1 and 943 might be seen on the exchange soon. I've been carrying a Bugout with CF scales every week since last September and just finished putting a new edge and Ti scales on the Ranger Green for something new...

3m5mwRL.jpg
Are those rogue blade works cf scales?

As soon as I saw Nick Shabazz could squeeze easily the two plastic handles of the bugout to touch each other, I dismissed the knife immediately. If it has g10 or cf scales, it would be a different story.

I've owned both. I like both. I would lean towards the 535GRY if I didn't have one. You can upgrade the scales and still be in the ballpark of a 940 (slightly more expensive) but the blade shape of the Bugout slices so well.

yFrhZ-gf8gRdha37K-5t8ue0AHEl380sZgqqD5bny4XTFXTQvyUmyBQG-ODxn7DfFg4yQz77BSWNWUO0bfNa_34d_Ga0fq0bNDKCzcX71sF1vgAi1-jazzvK9rt_uxKXpvWV9Zvrxn8=w2400

Yeah but remember Nick Shabazz is freakishly strong. He has the strength of a bear that has the strength of two bears!

:D that's funny. I wonder if the scales of bugout have the same flex as Delica or weaker. I tried to squeeze my Delica FRN scales but could not make them touch each other. There is indeed only a tiny bit flexing.

Bugout. It's better in every way after a scale upgrade IMO. My 940-1 and 943 might be seen on the exchange soon. I've been carrying a Bugout with CF scales every week since last September and just finished putting a new edge and Ti scales on the Ranger Green for something new...

3m5mwRL.jpg

:thumbsup:
Looking good!

I’ll stick with my 940s for now but I’m interested in seeing how Benchmade evolves the Bugout. There’s a lot of potential with this knife.

I've owned both and I still have the Bugout. The 940 is great but once you've used a thinner slicey blade, you don't want to go back. We really need to get back to knives that cut instead of knives that are for prying.

:D that's funny. I wonder if the scales of bugout have the same flex as Delica or weaker. I tried to squeeze my Delica FRN scales but could not make them touch each other. There is indeed only a tiny bit flexing.

The Delica has full length liners. I’m sure if the liners were as small as the bugout’s you could do it.

I want to save up for one of these two knives but don't know witch one to get. any help will be very helpful thanks.

You need to be a little more specific about what you are looking for in a knife. Will this be your EDC? Is weight a concern? Do you plan to customize it? Are you looking for function or bling? The Bugout is one of my favorite knives of all-time for EDC or on the trail (as a backup). It is well designed, purpose-built, light, razor sharp, comes with decent scales and includes a deep carry clip. I, personally, wouldn't spend the money on a 940 given the other options available at that price range...unless you are an avid collector of Benchmade knives.

Up here, the Bugout is around $150, the 940 is $230 (the -2 is ten bucks cheaper). I love my 940-2 but also really enjoy using my Bugout (the original one is just fine thank you). As far as flexing, no issue that I have come across. If I need a heftier knife, I've got lots.

. . . well . . . actually a traditional like the Case Trapper will cut like a knife should cut. The narrow (vertically speaking) blade profile will cut curves better than the Bugout and because it is thinner than either one it will cut with less effort . . . in say hard leather or cardboard.

The tall blade on the Bugout might be good for cutting slices off a cucumber or batoning for vertical strength.
It doesn't but curves like a knife should but curves though. :)
View attachment 923453

And while we are on the subject of maneuverability (rolling the knife handle in one's grip to cut curves or at least change direction with ease and control) . . .
this is why I prefer the narrow (vertically) and fat (horizontally) handles; one can grip it in a two finger grip and it doesn't feel tippy
View attachment 923455

Those old dudes knew what they were doing with the Trapper. Other knives are a compromise in performance or just plane hype when it comes to a folding knife. Sure longer is better (some times) and thicker / taller blades are better . . . for . . . ohhhhh I don't know . . . hammering through nails or slaying Balrogs. I don't do much of that. (granted the tip of the 940 is a bit odd.)

The 940 allows one to roll the knife in the grip similar to the Trapper and like the Ti Lite shown bellow. Note the knife rolls a full 180° in the hand. I full flat ground the Ti Lite and these photos are of one I cut into a Wharncliffe.
This is how a user work knife should perform. This knife is not comfortable to carry in the pocket and requires a pouch as does the Trapper. But the 940 can perform like this and still fit in a pocket; partly because it is so darn light.

The Bugout fits on the pocket well; it wins there.
View attachment 923463
View attachment 923464
View attachment 923466
View attachment 923465
The OP didn't ask about a Case trapper or a modified 940

As soon as I saw Nick Shabazz could squeeze easily the two plastic handles of the bugout to touch each other, I dismissed the knife immediately. If it has g10 or cf scales, it would be a different story.
As big a non-issue as I've ever seen. You and Nick can sweat that feature if you want, I certainly don't.

I can't find anything I want to carry more than this Bugout. It is just too good. Getting the black bladed one next.

Dismiss it if you must, but you are missing out.

I’m surprised at how many people say the 940 doesn’t cut and slice well. I have found the 940 to cut a variety of medium very well. And in my opinion be as “slicey” as FFG knives praised for their sliceyness.

I have been meaning to pick up
A bugout and this thread has ignited the urge to go out and get one to see for myself. The blade shape and thickness of the bugout look right on point with what I like.

Back