benchmade 940 vs bugout

benchmade 535 bugout or benchmade 940 osborne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Doesn't matter about squeezing the scales together. The Bugout is strong where it counts. It's made to be as light as possible while still providing solid lockup and strength to make cuts with. I have used mine quite a bit and it still looks new and cuts like a demon.

Dethroning the 940 is no easy task, and I actually thought this poll would be a blowout in favor of the 940. I think the fact that this poll is as close as it is speaks volumes to how great the new Bugout platform is.

As soon as I saw Nick Shabazz could squeeze easily the two plastic handles of the bugout to touch each other, I dismissed the knife immediately. If it has g10 or cf scales, it would be a different story.

Really? That's sad.

I also saw what Nick Shabazz did with the scales and dismissed the Bugout...until I handled one. The slight amount of flex does not happen under normal use. You really have to go out of your way to make it happen and so did Shabazz. You owe it to yourself to at least go to a retailer and try it.

As for G10 scales on a Bugout 535...effectively, you are describing the 531 with a steel upgrade. Something that you can easily buy as an REI exclusive. At that point, the only real difference (other than cost) is slightly better handle ergonomics with the Bugout. Slightly better.

The stock Bugout is a fantastic knife. In fact, it's so good that Benchmade's customer service department was not giving out Bugout pocket clips last time I checked. Why? Their production can't keep up with demand for the Bugout.

Last edited:
Many people agree with you but, if size and weight are issues, the Bugout is the winner in the Benchmade line up. Period!
If the size and weight are issue then I would carry a toothpick in my pocket over a Bugout.940 is just perfect EDC,right there with Sebenza,IMO.Cheers.fullsizeoutput_b5e.jpeg

If the size and weight are issue then I would carry a toothpick in my pocket over a Bugout.940 is just perfect EDC,right there with Sebenza,IMO.Cheers.View attachment 924657
And what are you going to cut with a toothpick? Let's be realistic.

I think we can agree that the 940 is one of the best knives that Benchmade offers. But, it is not the only top-notch product they produce.

I work in a medical office and the 940 would be out of place for where I work. The Bugout would be accepted by staff and clients alike.

As for the Sebenza, if you gave me one, I'd sell it. It does nothing for me...the small Insingo, however, now that's a perfect EDC.

And what are you going to cut with a toothpick? Let's be realistic.

I think we can agree that the 940 is one of the best knives that Benchmade offers. But, it is not the only top-notch product they produce.

I work in a medical office and the 940 would be out of place for where I work. The Bugout would be accepted by staff and clients alike.

As for the Sebenza, if you gave me one, I'd sell it. It does nothing for me...the small Insingo, however, now that's a perfect EDC.
You have your opinion and I have mine.Cheers mate.

The 940 is under 3ozs (atleast according to bladehqs numbers) size and weight are an easy non issue. You get a lot for that low weight. Never really understood the weight crowd anyways saying a 5oz knife is heavy. Unless you’re carrying a bunch of gear

I would like to own both!!:thumbsup: But at this time.. Neither..:( John

I tend to carry the Bugout during the work week and the 940 gets all the pocket time during the weekends. Both are fantastic however if I had to choose one I'd go Bugout. I enjoy the nothingness I feel in the pocket and the slicey blade. I really am excited to see what Benchmade exclusives they can come up with the Bugout. This knife screams upgraded steel and scales for sure.

I don't own either (yet), but FWIW, I find the 940 to be one of the most aesthetically pleasing folders available at any price.

I know that looks aren't high on everyone's radar, but they certainly are on mine.

I like both, but I would want replacement scales for the Bugout, which takes the cost to over $200: Then if I compare the the 940-1 Carbon Fiber with S90V at under 3 oz. I start to lean toward the 940

The 940 is under 3ozs (atleast according to bladehqs numbers) size and weight are an easy non issue. You get a lot for that low weight. Never really understood the weight crowd anyways saying a 5oz knife is heavy. Unless you’re carrying a bunch of gear
In jeans yeah 5oz or more is a non issue and I don’t notice a large folder like an XM-24 in my pocket, but in lightweight hiking shorts or pants, a heavier knife is annoying and they tend to bounce around a lot when on lighter fabric when walking and hiking. That is where I feel the likes of a lighter knife shines. In the case of lighter pants material neither the 940 or Bugout is noticeable. The weight difference between a G10 940 and Bugout is negligible IMO. I own both and an extra .8 oz is not going to be noticeable. Neither is a stout knife so IMO it comes down to the users blade shape preference honestly.

Back