• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Benchmade boycott?

I'm gonna subscribe to this thread just in case. But y'all need to read my buddy Planterz' posts before you stir it up any more. Because he's spot on.

Once a patent expires, it becomes a free-for-all. There's no shame in using it, especially if the design is such that it likely would have occurred to other manufacturers sooner or later. The frame lock is not a complicated design as, say, Andrew Demko's Tri-Ad locking system now being used by Cold Steel. And it's something that is likely to have occurred to any number of knife designers.

One of my relatives invented those heated rolling devices used to cook hot dogs. It was a great idea, but someone beat him to it. That someone didn't steal the idea; he simply filed a patent for it before my relative. It was the same idea, but by two different people at the same time. It happens. And patents are set to run out after a while so that knowledge can be added upon. It's not always entirely fair, but it's legal.

Wasn't Spyderco the first to patent the integral pocket clip on a folding knife and now every company uses them and doesn't Benchmade now make a fixed blade knife that looks to be an almost exact copy of Cold Steel's SRK??? This seems to be common practice.

Thanks Planterz, I was off on the BM42 knockoff thing. You are right about it being the Benchmite, got my facts confused. He was also involved in a lawsuit with something to do with using a pantented safety when he was converting Boker knives into auto's. He has really just been in a whole mess of trouble.

P.S. Anyone thinking of doing ANY business with this guy should think twice. DO NOT screw yourself over for a cheap piece of illegal chinese pot metal.

Get your facts straight. Chris Reeve developed the integral framelock based on Michael Walker's liner lock, which wasn't exactly a new invention either (slipjoints with linerlocks go back many decades). The integral lock was never patented. CR decided to share it with the world instead. Benchmade calls it the Monolock. So what? They name all their locks, whether original or not. Many, many companies don't give CR the name recognition for the framelock. In fact, the only ones (that I can think of) that specifically name CR are Spyderco and A.G. Russell.

Johnathan Benson wasn't even talking about the framelock in his ignorant rants about Benchmade. His accusations of theft on Benchmade's part were about the opening hole from Spyderco and the mechanism in the Infidel automatic. Regarding the Spyderco hole, this came about because of the BM630/635 Skirmish. Neil Blackwood, the designer of the Skirmish, used Spyderco's trademark round opening hole (something any custom knife maker can do for a very small tribute amount), so when Benchmade created a production version, they reused the round opening whole. Of course, there was a big controversy over the whole/hole thing, but it was resolved, and Benchmade is now allowed to use the trademark Spyderco round opening hole. Regarding the Infidel automatic, it was JB's claim that they stole the design from Microtech (*insert ironic snicker*), but the design for D/A OTF automatics has existed for decades.

Again, you have to realize the irony of Johnathan Benson making any claims whatsoever about anybody stealing anything, when he's not only a purveyor of knockoffs, but also a knockoff "artist" himself.

zing!

I buy products based on how they perform, the customer service, and the value of the product; not based on the morals/values/religion etc of the company/owner. My two cents

One of the reasons you need to take the internet with a grain salt is websites such as this. People feel empowered by the internet and, when they are angry, they think they can hurt someone or some company by trashing it publicly. The problem with all of these "empowerments" is that they provide only one side of the story. You should take them with a grain of salt. Benchmade is a successful company with solid products and good customer care. What this fellow says about them doesn't change that. Mostly, it makes him look bad.

Just a friendly reminder to keep it civil. You're doing alright so far. Let's keep it that way.

Get your facts straight. Chris Reeve developed the integral framelock based on Michael Walker's liner lock, which wasn't exactly a new invention either (slipjoints with linerlocks go back many decades).

The point is that Michael's "Liner Lock" is NOT IN A SLIPJOINT, making it a NEW and original invention. I have many friends in the industry who do not agree with me on this, they simply refuse to see what is before them.

Rev, both Spark and Esav have talked with me about this on the phone before. I don't need to be a mod to be the 600-pound gorilla in the room. Spark's on speed dial, Esav's on speed dial, Gus is on speed dial, and so is Elliott. So anybody who doesn't pay attention can just deal with the consequences. 'Nuff said.

He's boycotting Benchmade but is selling Benchmade replacement Balisong parts? :confused:
He's obviously a con artist. Tell your friend or whoever posted, not to worry about it. Benchmade is a great company that makes great knives. He will love his Mini-Grip I'm sure. I understand his worry with being young and probably kind of new to knives.. or to more bigger name brand more expensive better knives. But he need not to worry. Benchmade is a great company and I'm sure he'll want more after his first.

Rev, both Spark and Esav have talked with me about this on the phone before. I don't need to be a mod to be the 600-pound gorilla in the room. Spark's on speed dial, Esav's on speed dial, Gus is on speed dial, and so is Elliott. So anybody who doesn't pay attention can just deal with the consequences. 'Nuff said.
Sure thing ;)

Back