benchmade consensus

I think I want a benchmade. Not sure which model but I know they have some auto's. I've got some nice knives, microtech scarab, Strider, Emerson etc. I know there are lots of people that love their Benchmade knives. What are some models I should check out?

I dont have an auto from BM. I say try out a Ritter grip. No dealers though, best to snag on Exchange.

I'm an axis fan.

What do you want to use the knife for?

If you want a heavy use knife, I will not suggest an Anthem. That being said, if you want a knife to wear in khakis, while out with the Misses, I will not suggest an 810...

Mini Reflex II is an EDC auto. Carries well, cuts well. Very fast opening.
940 is a wonderful EDC. Thin and lightweight.

Consensus is going to be reallllly difficult to find, given that the company makes or has made about ten billion models.

Have you tried slipjoints? Maybe check out the Proper. Want to go for the old standby? The Griptilian has been their iconic knife for a while. Looking for a blend of classic and modern? Give the Crooked River some consideration.

Want something slim? The 940 series is excellent for that. Are "hard-use" knives your thing? The Adamas is big solid tank of a knife. Thinking of expanding your selection of autos? Benchmade makes several out-the-front and side-opening models.

The Benchmade catalog, like Kershaw's and Spyderco's, is a widely-cast net designed to attract as many different potential buyers as possible. You might want to specify a size, price, and/or intended usage if you want particularly helpful suggestions.

+1 on the above picture, AFO II, solid feeling knife with a glass breaker, not a super thick blade, but that makes it a better slicer, if you want a tank go 275, my all around favorites though are 810 (specifically the knife works exclusive) and the discontinued 710, 805, and 806.

I agree with Comeuppance Comeuppance on this one, there are so many different models and styles in their lineup that making a recommendation would require knowing what you're looking for.

My personal favorite Benchmade knife is the already-recommended 535 Bugout, but the charms of a featherweight blue plastic knife might be lost on someone that prefers heavy-duty pocket anchors and so forth.

What are you looking for? An auto? A traditional? Something light? Something fancy? Something brutish? They have options for all of those . . .

I have the 9555 and 5000 autos, and like both. They don't fire as hard as Microtech or Protech; but somebody suggested backing off a hair on the pivot screw would correct that. (Admittedly, to my embarrassment, I hadn't considered that).
Other than those, the only Benchmades I still have are the 950, 581, and 781...of which I still love the 950, the 781 only gets carried when I want a lightweight knife, and the 581 sits home because I'm over assisted-opening knives

Mini Grip and Grip are the best bang for the buck. (around $100)
940 is a great EDC knife. (starts at about $170)

I have a Griptilian. I needed a replacemnt screw and they not only sent me 1, they sent me all of them for free. Good CS!

You can't go wrong with the Griptilian, it is basically AXIS lock 101: simple steel, simple handle, nothing fancy but the lock. Certainly one of the more affordable models, so a great beginning product; you should be able to find plenty of used ones on the Exchange here on the forums so you won't even feel bad using one to test it.

You can't go wrong with the Griptilian, it is basically AXIS lock 101: simple steel, simple handle, nothing fancy but the lock. Certainly one of the more affordable models, so a great beginning product; you should be able to find plenty of used ones on the Exchange here on the forums so you won't even feel bad using one to test it.

Couldn't agree more, even if (yeah... just suppose it could happen!) you get more knives after this one. I have a friend that is a Benchmade dealer, and that is the knife he carries out of all their offerings. So does his asst. manager.

I bought one as a "first knife" for my nephew when he began to show interest in having a nice knife. He loves it. Big enough to be handy, small enough not to get into any trouble with it, good steel, and I got it with the dark brown scales so his doesn't look like anyone else's that he knows. That was a year and a half ago, and he still loves that knife.

Robert

Been carrying a mini grip 556 for over 6 years now. If I lost it tomorrow I'd buy another exactly like it.

Back