Benchmade help.

Discussion in 'Benchmade Knife Company' started by Ascend, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Ascend

Ascend

Sep 4, 2015
    Since I've now come some way from being a knife noobie and have handled a good amount of knives and since the holidays are coming up I want to invest in a benchmade. I've been looking for some time and I found 2 that I like. The presidio and the rift. I need some recommendations. It's primary use is EDC to hard use EDC and it would be nice if it could fill a tactical role. I like the rift looks but idk how good it is. The presidio is the same way. Also is benchmade's 154CM hard to sharpen? I use a sharp maker by Spyderco. If it will work on the sharp maker what angle 30 or 40 degrees. Please help

2. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary

Jan 12, 2013
    The Rift is what I would recommend for EDC, and the Presidio for a tactical tole. Depending on how much of your day consists of totally killing dudes, I'd bet that the more EDC-oriented Rift is going to be the better option long-term.

Benchmade's 154CM is pretty good, and not too hard to touch up. I've found that stropping even their M390 isn't too difficult, but that might actually be a negative statement about their heat treating. Nonetheless, I've yet to hear a gripe about Benchmade's 154CM, and this is a board filled with the gripiest gripers from gripetown.

The Sharpmaker will work on any knife, but, if you don't match the factory angles (which are inconsistent anyway) you're just going to be putting a microbevel on the knife you choose. That said, a 30-degree microbevel is a good option.

3. knifedude802

knifedude802

Jul 18, 2014
    +1 for the Rift.
    I have both. Don't much care for the presidio for some reason.

4. Cursum Perficio

Cursum Perficio Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 27, 2012
    I've never handled a Presidio, so can't offer a comparison.
    But I do have a 950 Rift and am very impressed with it.
    Actually mine languished in the back of the drawer for a while. Then after a long time being ignored in favor of others, I pocketed it and found myself remembering how much I like it, smoothness, size and shape, and it's getting more regular outings now.

Some have smoothed out the bump in the handle as it didn't fit with where the fingers lay. Me, it fits my medium size hands very well. To me it's very much a solid EDC folder.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's also currently an S30V version available at a good price, if you don't mind a bit of orange in the handle.

5. highestpoint

highestpoint Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 13, 2014
    The presidio is so small I wouldn't consider it a tactical unless you got the auto version. Personally I wouldn't get it. I just see it as a no thrills knife. The rift on the other hand reminds me of my 810 contego which I love. Get the rift

6. JeremiahWeaver09

JeremiahWeaver09

Nov 13, 2009
    the presidio actually comes in two sizes, a regular size and a small version. the regular size is a full size knife, around the same size as the rift i believe.

7. zombieassassin

zombieassassin Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2015
    I have had auto rifts and auto presidios full size and mini. You can't go wrong with any of them. Me personally I like the Presidio for heavy use and the rift for nicer clothes edc usage. Good choices.

8. palonej

palonej Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Rift!
    Nice exclusive right now for a really good price.

9. Ascend

Ascend

Sep 4, 2015
    What would you guys say would be the toughest of the 2. I'm gonna use whatever benchmade I get as my main knife for awhile and I'm looking to abuse and I need the knife to be strong and lock up tight. So what do u think

10. rcb2000

rcb2000

Apr 15, 2014
    +1 Rift,,, love mine

11. Austinaftermath

Austinaftermath

Sep 2, 2009
    The presidio is my favorite benchmade. The aluminum handles will scratch though.

12. Skimo

Skimo

Mar 28, 2009
    Rift. There's a BM forum on here, we'll be glad to geek out and tell you why.

13. Firestrike

Firestrike

Dec 23, 2012
    808 is one of the toughest BM knives out there. It has a beefed up axis lock and one thick piece of nice flat ground s30v.

14. Rotte

Rotte

Aug 30, 2008
    RIFT. I've had an auto and standard. I also like the Contego.

15. Basher313

Basher313

Jun 4, 2012
    Tough choice. I have a Rift and a Presidio Ultra. I've not carried the Rift too much yet, but I like it. However, I find the Presidio Ultra fits my hand very, very well. I've been carrying it for a few weeks now and just really like the shape and countours of it. I need to find someone to make me G10 scales for it, though. Nothing wrong with the polymer stuff BM uses, but G10 is so much nicer.

16. knifedude802

knifedude802

Jul 18, 2014
    The Presidio is what I'd call the tougher of the two. More metal.

17. omaha-beenglockin

omaha-beenglockin

Oct 22, 2005
    I own a bunch of Presidio's both full size and mini---my favorite Benchmade also.

I also get them scary sharp with a Sharpmaker.

18. ginaz

ginaz

Apr 19, 2001
    i have an m4 presidio but i didn't love it until i put that blade in a bone collector handle. one of my favorites now. well worth the money spent

19. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    What?! The small ultra is an awesome compact edc, better than the grip in handle comfort. Gets laser sharp too. Decent 440c for edc use.

20. DaNuke95

DaNuke95

Jul 28, 2013
    I carry a Presidio. It's one of my favorite knives. It doesn't look like much in pictures, but it's an awesome knife to behold once you get one in the hand. It's really solid, and it inspires confidence. One thing to consider with the Presidio is that the milled ribs on the sides on the aluminum handles with devour the edges of your pockets.