1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Benchmade steals the spyderhole

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by myplea, Oct 13, 2006.

1. myplea

myplea Banned BANNED

Aug 9, 2006
  2. SilverFoxKnows

SilverFoxKnows

Sep 25, 2002
    they licensed it again. The original AFCK used the round hole with Sal's permission.

Frank

3. The Mastiff

The Mastiff

Apr 21, 2006
    That's the Byrd steel. Is this knife made in China? Things like patents don't mean much there. It's also not the first time they used the Spyder hole without liscencing it. Perhaps they figured liscencing it for the AFCK was enough :') Everybody is doing it now. Nobody really believes Mantis liscenced it do they? Joe

4. the_mac

the_mac

Mar 14, 2005
    Benchmade is not mantis.

I'm sure that they've licensed it, both because it's the right thing to do and because if they didn't, they would be very exposed from a legal standpoint.

I'm sure that it's legit. So if you like benchmade Fit and Finish, but the round hole opener, might be a good knife to own.

5. HoB

HoB

May 12, 2004
    Sal stated not too long ago, that they would licence only to custom makers and not to production companies.

6. fulloflead

fulloflead

May 3, 2002
    I'm guessing Silver Fox is right. BM has had relationships with SC in the past.

They did the oval hole before to seperate themselves and why would they do that if they wanted to steal? They could still be doing the oval hole. I'm sure they liscensed it from SC again.

Personally, I think the oval hole is better for some knives.

That's a nice knife, by the way. Looks like something that could be a popular "everyone's" EDC.

7. Nilaman

Nilaman

May 16, 2006
    I'd be surprised if Spyderco gave consent for Benchmade to make this particular knife with their hole.

8. phil000

phil000

May 21, 2006
    it's not the Byrd steel, byrd steel is 8Cr13MoV, this is 8Cr14MoV...probably not at all different but i had very big 'WTF benchmade?' moment. It's a very sad and disillusioning moment for Phil, who was a very large benchmade fan, and is starting to believe everyone who says benchmade steals their designs...

poop.
    :(

9. Artfully Martial

Artfully Martial

Jun 8, 2005
    I'm pretty sure the spyderhole isn't patented anymore as a device, only as a trademark...there was a recent discussion over at the spyderforum here....on this..in any case, they no doubt talked to Spyderco about it anyway.

I really like this knife. I can't believe I'm going to buy a red class though...I really think Benchmade should stick to America...

[​IMG]

10. Vivi

Vivi Banned BANNED

Dec 4, 2005
    Not sure how ergonomic a rectangle block of G10 will be and I don't care for liner locks, but I would like to try this out. Blade grind doesn't look bad. Wonder what the street price will be compared to a G10 Cara Cara.

11. Artfully Martial

Artfully Martial

Jun 8, 2005
    This should be slightly under 40 on NGK. Wait, sorry, they don't get Benchmades anymore, do they. But, if it WERE to be sold on NGK, it would be a little under 40.

12. Joe Talmadge

Joe Talmadge

Oct 3, 1998
    Do you know this for sure, or are you guessing, SFK? Spyderco has said they will not license the round hole to other companies. I don't think Spyderco or Benchmade have commented on whether BM licensed it.

13. fulloflead

fulloflead

May 3, 2002
    You know, what we could really use on this thread are....

FACTS!

14. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod

Apr 6, 2000
    What !?!?!?
    And shut down a perfectly good discussion ... ? :p

15. TNRat

TNRat

Sep 18, 2003
    If the older Emerson designed Benchmades are an indicator I would say they will feel great in my hands. :D

16. Hawkings

Hawkings

Mar 31, 2006
    Lol I really like the idea of a company owning the concept of a hole.
    To me thats like owning the concept of hot water.

WHAT !?!?! They heated the water you say?? But we have the patent on that !!! DAMN CHINA, they never respeckt anything.

:jerkit: :rolleyes:

17. Jim70

Jim70

Apr 6, 2003
    I wonder why nobody Patents the thumbstud, if you can patent a hole why not the stud?

18. flipe8

flipe8

Oct 24, 2005
    It's not a patent boys and girls. It's a Trademark. Out of curiousity, when you see a Round Hole, not an oval, not an octogon , not a tear drop, a Round Hole, which knife company do you think of? That's what a Trademark is. The Round Hole is no different than the Butterfly. Let me ask you. Do you think Spyderco would put a Butterfly on one of their knives? Not friggin likely. And there'd be no way they'd do it without permission form BM. Besides, Spyders eat Butterflies. If this is no different than BM with the Blackwood design, it is a rip-off, plain and simple.

19. flipe8

flipe8

Oct 24, 2005
    Try looking up Trademark. It might do you some good...

20. Jim70

Jim70

Apr 6, 2003
    Wouldn't the Spyderco bug be more comparable to the butterfly?