Benchmade vs Cold Steel

Benchmade or Cold Steel?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They are both good companies that make good products.

I don’t think a “vs.” really does justice to either brand.

They both have pros and cons for sure, but mostly subjective preferences will deem what those are per user.

Last edited:
I have to say, I have never quite gotten much out of the Cold Steel line up at least with respects to their folders. The biggest and only differentiating selling point is the tri-ad lock. By all accounts, it is virtually as close as you can get a folding knife to perform like a fixed blade. That being said, I don't carry a folding knife to do anything close to a fixed blade and I wouldn't expect it to. Additionally, anything under 4 inches in blade length isn't going to be very effective in battoning wood of any legitimate size anyways and once you get bigger than that its just as much of a hassle to carry a folder bigger than 4 inches as it is to scout carry a fixed blade of 4 inches. I'm sure someone will have a story here of when they needed their 3.5 inch folding knife to be able to punch through a car door for some reason but for me, the Axis lock (and frankly even liner locks) are more than enough to accomplish the legitimate cutting tasks anyone should expect out of a sub 4 inch folding knife.

Lock strength (and overall strength) in a folder is a little bit like money in this respect.
I d rather have more than I need than not enough.

I suppose that is a good point, though to be completely fair people focus on the triad lock because of the marketing Cold Steel does. They don't exactly market to the edc knife community when they are using an American Lawman to stab through a side of beef like a mix between Rocky Balboa and freddy kruger.
That's absolutely true and I think it's a bit of a misstep by their marketing department, but their marketing probably does sell knives to certain types of people...

It's a shame, because something like the Code 4 makes for a great EDC knife. It's thin, ground well for cutting, extremely strong, and a solid value proposition. I carry one of several Recon 1s often for EDC because I like a larger folder, and somehow there are exceedingly few large heavy duty knives with the edge geometry that my hollow ground recons have. Even my first generation AD-10 has a deep hollow grind and can do food prep, despite being a tank of a knife. I can't say enough good things about Cold Steel for the money.

That is not to say that I don't enjoy my Cold Steel blades. As you mentioned Marley, they certainly cut well. However for a pocket knife they are simply not nearly as convenient as an axis lock, very few models have deep carry options, several of their handle scales are far too aggressive to clip to anything other than the most sturdy denim, and as I mentioned if I am looking to do wood work or aggressive cutting I will turn to a fixed blade. I understand the "one knife to do it all" mentality but for my life I don't expect needing a 3.5 inch folding knife to punch through a kevlar vest so the inconveniences of carrying a large, overbuilt and aggressively textured EDC knife looses its luster. The benchmade lineup offers more of what I look for in a folding knife. Ease of carry, ease of use, ease of operation one handed.
Totally fair, but I don't think Benchmade makes a mid-size or large knife with as good of cutting geometry as a hollow ground recon 1 or code 4. For that reason alone, I gravitate towards Cold Steel over my Benchmades. As for the rest of your points, I don't think an axis lock or a deep carry clip are really necessary for EDC, but YMMV there.

Totally fair, but I don't think Benchmade makes a mid-size or large knife with as good of cutting geometry as a hollow ground recon 1 or code 4. For that reason alone, I gravitate towards Cold Steel over my Benchmades. As for the rest of your points, I don't think an axis lock or a deep carry clip are really necessary for EDC, but YMMV there.

No not necessary but depending on lifestyle they can be far more convenient. For example, I find myself in an office setting most of the time. Rough G-10 and standard carry clips don't play nearly as well with standard office wear as smooth g-10, carbon fiber, and deep carry clips. That being said, I don't find myself cutting down saplings, opening bags of quick dry concrete or battoning wood with my folding knife. If that is what you do absolutely carry your American Lawman or Code 4 before reaching for a Benchmade bugout or 940.

Lock strength (and overall strength) in a folder is a little bit like money in this respect.
I d rather have more than I need than not enough.

Entirely fair, but to keep with the metaphor there are downsides to carrying around $10,000 in small bills at all times. Sometimes less is more. For me and my needs, carrying the equivalent of 10 grand in knife lock strength is not worth the downsides of having a knife that is objectively harder to operate one handed, has scales that tear through most pant material, and carries higher than Willie Nelson in Amsterdam. Again, love my cold steel blades. If I had to choose between the two brands though I actually carry my Benchmade blades while Cold steel options are reserved for yard work (where most of the time I just through on a fixed blade anyways).

No not necessary but depending on lifestyle they can be far more convenient. For example, I find myself in an office setting most of the time. Rough G-10 and standard carry clips don't play nearly as well with standard office wear as smooth g-10, carbon fiber, and deep carry clips. That being said, I don't find myself cutting down saplings, opening bags of quick dry concrete or battoning wood with my folding knife. If that is what you do absolutely carry your American Lawman or Code 4 before reaching for a Benchmade bugout or 940.
I don't think anybody here said they do those things with an EDC tool. To me it's more important that a Code 4 will outcut a 940 and be slimmer in the pocket than the fact that a tiny bit of the aluminum handle will be showing. Maybe your office setting is different than mine, but I don't think a deep carry clip is necessary for most people needing an EDC knife.

Also the American lawman has low texture scales, and the code 4 is totally smooth. Nobody is damaging pockets using those knives. The recon 1 will absolutely tear up pants but that's sort of par for the course with large tactical folders.

Last edited:
I don't think anybody here said they do those things with an EDC tool. To me it's more important that a Code 4 will outcut a 940 and be slimmer in the pocket than the fact that a tiny bit of the aluminum handle will be showing. Maybe your office setting is different than mine, but I don't think a deep carry clip is necessary for most people needing an EDC knife.

Also the American lawman has low texture scales, and the code 4 is totally smooth. Nobody is damaging pockets using those knives. The recon 1 will absolutely tear up pants but that's sort of par for the course with large tactical folders.

This is all personal preference and like I said I do enjoy my Cold Steel blades. For most of my needs, what I need to do is have a deep carry knife (yes that is a luxury and not the end all be all but it is one that I gravitate towards), a knife that is relatively thin, light, and wont mess up nicer pants, and one that is quick and easy to use.

Something like the smooth G-10 mini grip in 20cv, a Bugout, a Valet, or other Benchmade options simply do this better in my experience than a Code 4, Recon 1, American Lawman, etc. Those are all good blades, but the triad lock is not as fast as an axis lock. Each of those knives are bigger than the benchmades and the texture while not overly aggressive on the Recon 1, it is certainly far more than any Ti, smooth G-10, or carbon fiber.

Once more, I get the argument that having more strength is better but when the axis lock can hold something like 500lbs hanging off the blade while the Triad is something like 1,000lbs, the difference falls flat. I have no plans of lifting a mini cooper with my folding knife and any condition that I would be worried about an axis lock failing at 500lbs plus of pressure on the spine i would equally worry about a cold steel. At that point i am going for a fixed blade, an axe, or simply calling someone with a bulldozer.

This is all personal preference and like I said I do enjoy my Cold Steel blades. For most of my needs, what I need to do is have a deep carry knife (yes that is a luxury and not the end all be all but it is one that I gravitate towards), a knife that is relatively thin, light, and wont mess up nicer pants, and one that is quick and easy to use.

Something like the smooth G-10 mini grip in 20cv, a Bugout, a Valet, or other Benchmade options simply do this better in my experience than a Code 4, Recon 1, American Lawman, etc. Those are all good blades, but the triad lock is not as fast as an axis lock. Each of those knives are bigger than the benchmades and the texture while not overly aggressive on the Recon 1, it is certainly far more than any Ti, smooth G-10, or carbon fiber.

Once more, I get the argument that having more strength is better but when the axis lock can hold something like 500lbs hanging off the blade while the Triad is something like 1,000lbs, the difference falls flat. I have no plans of lifting a mini cooper with my folding knife and any condition that I would be worried about an axis lock failing at 500lbs plus of pressure on the spine i would equally worry about a cold steel. At that point i am going for a fixed blade, an axe, or simply calling someone with a bulldozer.
If you need something fast, I can't argue with that. I've never needed or benefited from having a knife open fast in an office setting, though. And I've appreciated being able to slice an apple at work more effectively with a properly executed hollow grind far more often than I've been thankful I saved one extra second of time opening and closing my folders. For me, it's not the lock type but the grind and size that makes the difference. The triad lock is a non factor in my decision making process for an edc knife.

Benchmade knives are more fun to fidget with. I line Cold Steel knives for use though as the handles ergos are great IMO, and you can't beat the Triad. I own and use 6-7 Cold Steels and one Benchmade so I guess that my answer. Plus, the American Lawman is an exceptional and underrated EDC for a great price.

If you need something fast, I can't argue with that. I've never needed or benefited from having a knife open fast in an office setting, though. And I've appreciated being able to slice an apple at work more effectively with a properly executed hollow grind far more often than I've been thankful I saved one extra second of time opening and closing my folders. For me, it's not the lock type but the grind and size that makes the difference. The triad lock is a non factor in my decision making process for an edc knife.

Having something open fast and easy is good when you are doing several small jobs rather than one big one. In an office setting or around the house, its a lot of opening letters, mail, tape on boxes, food packages. So yes, that hollow grind for apples is probably going to cut better but a hollow grind for what I find myself cutting all day (paper, tape, plastic) getting the knife out and away without having to think twice is what has me reaching for my benchmades far more often than my cold steels. I have always been impressed with cold steel cutting geometry and obviously the strength of the knife. But the question of the post was which brand we prefer and why and for me its benchmade because for the aforementioned reasons.

But the question of the post was which brand we prefer and why and for me its benchmade because for the aforementioned reasons.
I completely understand.
My reason for responding in the first place was really just to make it clear that some people carry Cold Steel knives for reasons other than the perceived strength of the triad lock. Every time one of these posts comes up, the responses always seem to touch on "who needs the triad lock strength" but not on cutting geometry and carry profile.

I completely understand.
My reason for responding in the first place was really just to make it clear that some people carry Cold Steel knives for reasons other than the perceived strength of the triad lock. Every time one of these posts comes up, the responses always seem to touch on "who needs the triad lock strength" but not on cutting geometry and carry profile.

Cold steel grinds are absolutely underrated and regardless of how I break on this question personally, first time pocket knife buyers I tend to steer in the direction of cold steel especially if this is going to be their "one knife" and they aren't like myself who is going to have 50+ blades to choose from. Cold Steel makes strong, ergonomic cutting tools that will last darn near anyone their lifetime nearly no matter what they do to it. They just don't check all the boxes that I have for my needs which is why I settle on the butterfly's side for this question but I certainly see the niche for cold steel. I am just not their target market.

I must say I really like the Cold Steel AD 10 and 15, although I've never handled one. However, I am trending to smaller, lighter EDC's and they're on the larger size.

I voted Benchmade. The 20cv/G10 Mini-Grip is the only Benchmade I own (although I'll probably buy a Proper sometime). I've owned several Cold Steel knives (and a couple of their sharp swords and their polypropylene wasters), and I always feel a little underwhelmed. I like the African Walking Stick - when I had to use a cane to walk for a while a few years ago, that served me quite well. But in general, Cold Steel knives just don't do it for me. I get why other people really like the brand, but it's like the sum of all the parts don't quite add up into a a product I really enjoy most of the time.

And I've appreciated being able to slice an apple at work more effectively with a properly executed hollow grind far more often than I've been thankful I saved one extra second of time opening and closing my folders.

I bet your knife does well at that, but if cutting apples is important, nothing beats an Opinel. :)

-Tyson

Most of my recent purchases are CS because I could not find a comparable knife in other brands I looked at.

I don't have any reason not to buy CS at the moment. They supply what I want at a price I can afford.

Also the tri-ad lock meets one of my main criteria in a folder.

Back