Benchmark Backpacker

Welcome to my review on the Benchmark Backpacker knife

In order to review a fixed blade knife I feel it's necessary to start with the sheath,it's an ABS plastic molded sheath with many carry options,it has slots for Molle locks and Tek locks as well as neck carry,a clip for belt,boot or pocket carry and it has a Carabiner clip for clipping to your backpack if you wanna be "non tactical"

The blade is a 3 inch long 1095 high carbon steel drop point blade (though many sites misrepresent that by saying it's a stainless blade),it is hollow ground which will make it a good slicing blade (in theory),the ricasso is stamped:Benchmark on the right hand side,and China on the left hand side

The Micarta handle is pinned to the full tang design via 3 Micarta pins,the handle is also 3 inches long for a total length of 6 inches,there is a lanyard hole that could easily accommodate camo cord from Wal-mart,450 paracord and 550 paracord.

The value on this little neck knife is outstanding,for only $15.00 you get a Micarta handled 1095 HC knife,the competition is fierce when it comes to small neck knives,competition may include:

M-tech Xtreme MX8035-440C blade,Micarta Handles,Kydex Sheath-$10.00
Cold Steel Mini Pendleton Hunter-VG1 blade,Kraton Handles.Secure-Ex Sheath-$30.00
Schrade Extreme SCHF5N-1095 blade,bare metal handles,Zytel Sheath-$20.00

But the best comparison buy far is the Esee Izula with the $15.00 Micarta Scales,look below for comparison

Benchmark Backpacker:
3 inch long 1095 hollow ground drop point blade
Micarta Handles
ABS Sheath
bmark02.jpg

Esee Izula:
2 3/4 inch long 1095 full flat ground drop point blade
Micarta Handles +$15.00
Injection Molded Plastic Sheath
4766445963_a3f439f75f.jpg

So that's my review on the Benchmark Backpacker,lemme know what you think.

do things like take it out and use it, take pics of using it. beat the hell out of it and see how it holds up. skin a rabbit with it cut up dinner just show it being used and tell us how the edge holds up. how hard is it to resharpen, things like that.

how comfortable day in and day out carrying it is. does the sheath chafe, does the handle have hotspots after using it for a while.

doing good but those are more interesting things than just the straight specs from a website or the literature with it.

take it easy
cricket

I appreciate the help,I'll try to get some pic of the food prep and maybe some small wood splitting

Update to my original post!

After some recommendations I decided to do some food prep with my Benchmark Backpacker so I cut up some chicken:

Chicken on serving plate:
939_0116.jpg

Chicken after being prepped:
939_0115.jpg

The edge was razor sharp prior to food prep but after coming in contact with the plate the edge dulled slightly but it's still got a decent edge:
939_0119.jpg

more to come

Pictures of different carry methods:
(Note I removed the carabiner clip because it;s not a carry method I use)
939_0128.jpg

939_0134.jpg

939_0135.jpg

939_0136.jpg

939_0137.jpg

Neck carry is very comfortable,boot carry is not comfortable,belt carry is great and pocket carry is also great but takes up you pocket so take that into consideration

Thank you for taking the time to take pics and tell what you think so far.

I think I might try it for 15$, although shipping will probably double the price for me :)

So it's 1095 instead of stainless, that's good to know.
Did you get a bit of patina on your knife?

I think I might try it for 15$, although shipping will probably double the price for me :)

So it's 1095 instead of stainless, that's good to know.
Did you get a bit of patina on your knife?

Yes 1095HC steel,it's a great edc knife and mine hasn't gotten a patina yet but you could easily force one :)

Some photos:
102_0060.jpg

102_0061.jpg

For it's size it didn't do have bad,the edge held adequately just like I expect 1095 to preform,overall it's pretty good!

Hey this is my first post on any forum... Ever!
Any way I own and esee izula and a benchmark backpacker and let's just say you can't put lipstick on a pig.
First by "razor sharp" it needs to shave... In my opinion. The bmpacker is a nice little knife but its just a start. It It has potential with the sheath and overall design but the izula is a pro. I've taken two trips out so far with just the izula, a fire rod, and a sleeping bag and was never worried. I personally haven't even taken the bm to work yet to cut up boxes. The fit and finish are worth 15 bucks. I think this could get cleaned up a bit and become at best a cheap chinese knock off, which is why I first bought it. But it will never be better than that... Period.

Hey this is my first post on any forum... Ever!
Any way I own and esee izula and a benchmark backpacker and let's just say you can't put lipstick on a pig.
First by "razor sharp" it needs to shave... In my opinion. The bmpacker is a nice little knife but its just a start. It It has potential with the sheath and overall design but the izula is a pro. I've taken two trips out so far with just the izula, a fire rod, and a sleeping bag and was never worried. I personally haven't even taken the bm to work yet to cut up boxes. The fit and finish are worth 15 bucks. I think this could get cleaned up a bit and become at best a cheap chinese knock off, which is why I first bought it. But it will never be better than that... Period.

Also I don't think it bodes well in a review to see an other knife in the background in you chicken pic... Haha:rolleyes:

I think you misunderstand me,I'm in no way saying the Backpacker is better than the Izula,I'm 100% sure the Izula's heat treat and fit and finish are better but or the money the Backpacker is excellent and definitely better than an M-Tech or S&W,also a "knock off" would be a direct copy of another knife,this is not technically a rip off or knock off of an Izula,either way I stand behind what I said about the Backpacker it isn't a bad knife.

Well, I lost interest as soon as I read that it was made in China. Sorry, but I have watched too many good American company's go bankrupt due to peoples greed in wanting a cheaper "knock off" of whatever. Schrade and Camillus to name a couple. :grumpy:
Everything I have seen made by the Chinese has thus far been inferior to it's American made counterpart, and knives are no exception. A friend gave me a large double edged knife with the Klein name, but made in China. Well, long story short, I had to break out a course stone just to get a point at the tip of the blade that should have been there in the first place. And this was a brand new knife? :eek: I'm not counting on the blade hardness either. :barf:
In materials it's the same but the Izula will have a better heat treat but not a world of difference.
They may have access to 1095 steel, but you can bet they wont take the time to temper it as it should be. (If they even know how) :rolleyes:
I'll stick with my ESEE's, Benchmade, and older American made SCHRADE knives, ETC. as long as they're made in America. ;)
-Bruce

Well, I lost interest as soon as I read that it was made in China. Sorry, but I have watched too many good American company's go bankrupt due to peoples greed in wanting a cheaper "knock off" of whatever. Schrade and Camillus to name a couple. :grumpy:
Everything I have seen made by the Chinese has thus far been inferior to it's American made counterpart, and knives are no exception. A friend gave me a large double edged knife with the Klein name, but made in China. Well, long story short, I had to break out a course stone just to get a point at the tip of the blade that should have been there in the first place. And this was a brand new knife? :eek: I'm not counting on the blade hardness either. :barf:

They may have access to 1095 steel, but you can bet they wont take the time to temper it as it should be. (If they even know how) :rolleyes:
I'll stick with my ESEE's, Benchmade, and older American made SCHRADE knives, ETC. as long as they're made in America. ;)
-Bruce

I don't blame you,given the choice I prefer USA made knives but for $15.00 you can't hardly get USA made knives

Back