best dog breed for the woods

I think you misunderstood me. The size range was to account for the only opponent any single dog would have a chance at really engaging and doing anything with it. Nothing more or less. Other than that factor, we are in violent agreement (as highlighted in blue). And i'm not sure we disagree on the size factor, since it appears you misunderstood why I put that size in there.

The only other thing I would say about the size is again strictly w.r.t coyotes. I have heard of coyotes taking small dogs out of their owner's yard, even here in parts of MD. I don't think a coyote would do that with a dog 60 pounds or more. Too big a risk. Even smaller would be risky for a coyote, to a point. But since I think the record for a documented coyote was about 75 lbs, I don't think any coyote would go for a 60+ pound dog.

I killed a lot of coyotes when I lived in AZ, biggest one was just shy of 60 lbs, the vast majority were much smaller. I have friends that use jack russells as tolling dogs for coyotes, the pair he uses has regularly mixed it up with coyotes. I think that coyotes are mainly looking for an easy meal, which means a smaller dog, and any sporting breed larger than 40 pounds would likely not be on the menu. Rusty weighs about 40 pounds and regularly whips coons. I think it would be a good fight between him and a coyote, I have a female cur that is bigger than rusty and I have no doubt that the pair of them would give a coyote a very hard time. Chris

You should look for a well bred dachshund. :D :D J/k. Seriously, I would hope to never put any canine up against a bear or, for that matter, a cougar (sorry to the dog people who don't like cats). The odds will always be against them. I recommended the Vizsla with more regard to which dog I thought would make the best wilderness companion. I never thought my determination would be in doubt but now I will investigate these Cur dogs further. I think almost any dog's scent would make a predator think twice. I want a dog that will do what I say and stick with me or split fast if I needed it to. That is why I recommended the Vizsla. The Cur also looks interesting. I will check them out.

Lot's of good advice here guys!

I briefly read the whole thread and could have skipped it, but what are your intentions in the woods? If it's long treks (5+ miles) a lot of the bulkier breeds will have some serious troubles keeping up. I don't think you can go wrong with a well bred Vizsla or Rhody...both of YOU will have trouble keeping up with, in addition to their ability to protect you in woods. Like people said before, if a pack of wolves, cougar, or bear rrrrreeeeaaaalllyyyy wanted to get to you all the dog will serve is a distraction (i.e. give you time to run away, get your gun, etc).

I don't think weather is that much of an issue...you can get boots and other "clothes" for your dog to help keep he/she warm when the thermostat drops.

I urge you to check your local shelters for a good pup first...pure bred dogs are cool and all but there is something special about mix breeds (not assuming that shelters don't have pure breeds, but around here at least they seem to all be mixed). You could even get a dog from a breeder and find a buddy at a shelter.

All said and done I don't think you can go wrong with any of the recommendations given thus far...do as much research as you can before you make a decision. Good luck :D

By the way, here is my protector while i'm in the woods. He is a great dog.
IMAG0130.jpg

you should give an airedale consideration, they were bred to hunt and fight, and do both more than adequately, but still have the loyalty and the brains of a german shepard, and the gentleness of a lab after they grow out of there puppy stage, very good family/perimeter guard dogs

my neighbor has an airedale and we almost bought one because of my mom's dog allergies but wh were afraid it would get a hold of my sister's pet rabbit

Lot's of good advice here guys!

I briefly read the whole thread and could have skipped it, but what are your intentions in the woods? If it's long treks (5+ miles) a lot of the bulkier breeds will have some serious troubles keeping up. I don't think you can go wrong with a well bred Vizsla or Rhody...both of YOU will have trouble keeping up with, in addition to their ability to protect you in woods. Like people said before, if a pack of wolves, cougar, or bear rrrrreeeeaaaalllyyyy wanted to get to you all the dog will serve is a distraction (i.e. give you time to run away, get your gun, etc).

I don't think weather is that much of an issue...you can get boots and other "clothes" for your dog to help keep he/she warm when the thermostat drops.

I urge you to check your local shelters for a good pup first...pure bred dogs are cool and all but there is something special about mix breeds (not assuming that shelters don't have pure breeds, but around here at least they seem to all be mixed). You could even get a dog from a breeder and find a buddy at a shelter.

All said and done I don't think you can go wrong with any of the recommendations given thus far...do as much research as you can before you make a decision. Good luck :D

By the way, here is my protector while i'm in the woods. He is a great dog.
IMAG0130.jpg

That is a good lookin dog, what is it? Im guessing pit/lab/cur or something like that. Is it a shelter rescue?

I haven't read through this whole thread, but:

Karelian Bear Dogs are literally bred for this purpose.

I'm not sure that picking a woods hiking companion dog for the purpose of it's ability to fight large, wild predators is sensible, but I don't have the time and interest to pursue that avenue of discussion, right now, so I'll just say: Karelian Bear Dog.

Edited to add: Please be aware that no dog is necessarily safe in a fight against bears, mountain lions, and wolves. (And that's an understatement.)

When I was planning to move to Alaska, I was considering getting a pair of these for salmon fishing trips. Also good if you have a girlfriend who occasionally takes walks alone and isn't great about carrying bear spray or a gun.

I once met a polar bear researcher who spoke highly of the Karelian's ability to annoy those bears enough that they would leave his camp area. He said the dogs never fought the bears, just harassed them.

The Karelians I've seen seemed to have similar dimensions to a Norwegian Elkhound, although the coloration was a bit different.

DancesWithKnives

That is a good lookin dog, what is it? Im guessing pit/lab/cur or something like that. Is it a shelter rescue?

Well it was a rescue, but not from a shelter. My sister's friend had this dog but it wasn't getting any attention and was very underweight. She was going to take him to the shelter when my sister brought him home.

Supposedly his mother is a pit bull and his father is a Husky/Shepard (I don't completely agree with the Shepard part though). His name is Dudley...and he turns 1 1/2 next week

A couple of jack russells fighting a coyote, well thats something i would pay to see. Also what are people's opinions on pitbulls. I know they are very loyal and will die for you at a drop of a hat. Not to mention they look so damn cool. But in your opinions is there very much truth to all of this negative publicity because i personally have never owned a pit but ive seen good ones and ive seen very bad ones volenteering at the local animal shelter.

Well it was a rescue, but not from a shelter. My sister's friend had this dog but it wasn't getting any attention and was very underweight. She was going to take him to the shelter when my sister brought him home.

Supposedly his mother is a pit bull and his father is a Husky/Shepard (I don't completely agree with the Shepard part though). His name is Dudley...and he turns 1 1/2 next week

I see the husky alot but not so much the shepherd. And the big ears have to be some kind of hound right?

I see the husky alot but not so much the shepherd. And the big ears have to be some kind of hound right?

He acts a lot like a husky (I know this because the dog across the street is a husky, and also happens to be his best bud!)...his muzzle slightly resembles a Shephard. The ears...who knows. They are really really soft, thats all i know lol. Perhaps some other people can chime in! (I dont want to take away from the thread though)

A couple of jack russells fighting a coyote, well thats something i would pay to see. Also what are people's opinions on pitbulls. I know they are very loyal and will die for you at a drop of a hat. Not to mention they look so damn cool. But in your opinions is there very much truth to all of this negative publicity because i personally have never owned a pit but ive seen good ones and ive seen very bad ones volenteering at the local animal shelter.

I love pits, its all about the owner, just like any breed, treat it like shit and one day its gonna bite. I had one for 13 years, best dog I have ever had. If you looked at him he would scare the piss out of people, but what a worthless watchdog lol, He loved people so much..He was the smartest dog I have ever owned as well. He was a only dog for good reason, anything bigger then him and it was on.

Now I own Aussie Shepherds, This dog I recommend for a outdoor dog, VERY VERY smart, and they LOVE having a job. Mine herd goats all day, chickens and horses..Amazing breed that is VERY loyal, great around people, very athletic, and VERY smart, and as hard a worker as you will ever find.

I generally feel quite safe in the woods.

Young (9 months at the time, she's just turned 2) Caucasian Ovcharka Female "Wicca" of Caucasian Legend Knls. and American Bulldog Male "Zero" of Contender Knls.
ry%3D400

Myself temp. testing Wicca's Uncle.
ry%3D400

Zero doing civil agitation under gunfire.
ry%3D400

I've done plenty of large critter hunting here in Canada with bulldogs (American Bulldog, American Pit Bull Terrier...). Large critter however, to mean up to Coyote... In the past, dogs have been ran against tethered Bear (Bear Baiting) not to any great success most of the time, and it bears mentionning (Pardon the pun) this was done in an environment alien to the Bear (stress), the Bear being tethered (stress) and having been kept to what degree of good husbandry one can only guess (More stress).

Even in these conditions, fresh Bears proved all but impossible for a dog to master to any degree, as even one caught by the jowel as a catch dog would catch Bull or Boar would usually be badly torn up by the Bear's claws, which are no joke. I have heard of a 40 pound Pit Bull on a chain in Alaska grabbing a bear by the face while the woman of the house was tending her flower beds one evening in rear of the house. The woman managed to get in the house and grab a scatter-gun, and the dog was dead by the time she came back out.

That is the reality of a bulldog against a Bear.

Coyote are tricky bastard beasts. Most people that have an encounter with one or two are totally un-aware that an entire gamut of CoyoteS may be waiting in stage left for the act to commence... I have seen Coyote approach a dog on a chain faking a gimp leg before... Only to run perfectly fine when he heard the 30-06 go. I have also seen a Female Coyote in heat lure a GREAT and missed Pit Bull into a hornet's nest of 30 or more and just get ripped to shreds... Most bull breeds, Mastiiffs that can still move... Could handily clean one Coyote's clock. Nature often works in numbers and trickery however to take down bigger prey and the Lupoid predators are a prime example of this.

In Argentina, Dogo Argentino are used to find, catch and hold Puma... Our Mountain Lion equivalent. The good ones do it, to their great torment often... But do it none the less. However, nobody I know has access to true working Feline hunters that I know of in the Western world... You would need more than money to get your hands on a true working line, and even then, anybody will tell you good Dogos often die in holds with a cat or shortly thereafter... They are not "Mountain Lion stoppers".

The original poster should realize a good American Bulldog (As an example) from solid working lines would die before she/he let one of his own get harmed... But against a Bear, Mountain Lion... It would be death for the dog likely. If that is the owner's only line of defense, it will likely leave him/her at continued risk, and the dog's sacrifice in vain.

Waht about two pits or two american bulldogs or two akitas? would they be able to fight a bear off. Also My friend has a jack russell and we were out in a field backed up to by a forest and were saw a large black bear about 250 maybe 300 pounds and his jack russell went running at the bear. The bear stood up on it's hind legs but the jack russell ran under it's legs climbed up it's back and bit onto the scruff of its neck. The bear was moving around trying to shake the little dog but it wouldn't budge. finnally the dog let go and retreated and the bear didn't chase after the dog it ran off. and here in washington there ain't no grizzlies except in the east where there is some but they are really old and i live in the west so there is only black bears, cougars, and coyotes to worry about. I am moving to florida though and that is dangerous country.

Couple of things:

Keep in mind the dog has to be fed. Canine Backpacks are nice, but limited. Big dogs eat more.

IMO, generally, the best fight is the one you don't have. Aggressive dogs may precipitate an encounter unnecessarily.

Wolves and coyotes will entrap a dog into following, to its detriment.

And, since cougars are being brought up so often in this thread, here's write-up on a varmint hunter for your reading. Ben Lilly.

http://dnn.epcc.edu/nwlibrary/borderlands/23/Ben Lilly.htm\

Have fun, be safe.

Waht about two pits or two american bulldogs or two akitas? would they be able to fight a bear off.

In Victorian Bear Baiting times, dogs were sometimes faced in a brace (Two or more dogs) against a Bear, more often run turn by turn, often up to 10 or 12 dogs taking a shot at a bear, one at a time... If the Bear did not stop fighting from sheer exhaustion, numbers were usually to little effect.

And we are not taking about North American Grizzly here either, these were European Brown and Black Bears.

Also My friend has a jack russell and we were out in a field backed up to by a forest and were saw a large black bear about 250 maybe 300 pounds and his jack russell went running at the bear. The bear stood up on it's hind legs but the jack russell ran under it's legs climbed up it's back and bit onto the scruff of its neck.

Thats sounds like a cartoon to me... And not doubting Russells at all... I've hunted With Jacks and Parsons many times.

In Victorian Bear Baiting times, dogs were sometimes faced in a brace (Two or more dogs) against a Bear, more often run turn by turn, often up to 10 or 12 dogs taking a shot at a bear, one at a time... If the Bear did not stop fighting from sheer exhaustion, numbers were usually to little effect.

And we are not taking about North American Grizzly here either, these were European Brown and Black Bears.

Thats sounds like a cartoon to me... And not doubting Russells at all... I've hunted With Jacks and Parsons many times.

Oh believe me it's no lie i saw it and im telling ya it was the most amazing thing ive ever seen.

Back