best dog breed for the woods

I will not post pics here, many have seen our babies prior. If serious research BoerBoels and BoerBoelGuy if needed. With ALL RESPECTS sir please do thy homework first, Thanks in advance and we are here should you need us.

Loandr./BBG
rnatkin@cfl.rr.com

that dogo is sweet. Im suprised it can do all of those hunting tasks. Might be a serious consideration. What do those typically run, if you don't mind me asking?

tl;dr the rest:

my $0.02: go with some kind of mongrel and don't expect it to survive an encounter with a bear. at best, it'll distract the bear long enough for you to either get the bear-spray (or rifle) out.

all the best pig dogs i know are bitza's (bits'a this, bits'a that).

I like the akita but is it a dog that i will be confidant with off leash. Does anyone own these and which would be stronger, healther, and be better in hot weather the akita or malemute.
I had an Akita, he lived for 14 years, thats a long time for an akita.
I liked him a lot, but, don't believe every thing you read in the books and on the net. not all Akita's are the friendly family dogs that get along with everybody and other animals. Mine was a bit aggressive, actually very aggressive.
the Akita's were bred as hunting dogs in Japan, for bear and deer, so they are brave to the point of stupid. small animals were chew toys or food for my dog. they don't do well in pairs,( 2 males) one will be the dominant possibly to the point of killing the other. so 1 male and 1 female should do the trick. I did hear on animal planets "dogs 101" that the Akita was the most primitive domestic breed, not sure if its true but I could believe it.
Baron acted more like a cat than a typical dog, no real barking, just mostly vocalizations like a wolf or wild dog, only barked a few times. he did make a lot of noise but just not barking. they are prone to hip problems, check out the parents if you go to a breeder. ( Helen Keller brought the first 2 Akita to America)
if you get one start training him early, and he will get big make sure he knows you are the boss because they are hard headed sometimes.
if I could I'd do it again.
good luck,

Anybody else know anything about dogos? What are there personalities, how do they do in cold, how do they range in smartness compared to other dogs, are they typically dog agressive, are they good with other dogs and are they good guard dogs.

dogo temperments vary like any other breed

I have one that is a very good hunter and not dog or people agressive

I have another which is also a tremendous hunter and the first ones son which is very agressive to people and any other male dogs other than his father

they are a hunting breed and if breed proper that is all they want to do. They are not the kind of dog to sit on a porch they need activity and socilized like any other breed maybe a bit more so.

to get mine to stay with me in the woods took alot of work they are ment to be set loose to track and run down prey. but with work they can do anything.

they have a moderatly thin coat but can be outside in cold weather as long as they are moveing and at night brought in your tent.

cost varies from 1500 to 3000 or better you can find them in shelters because people want them when small thinking that they have the time for the breed and when they realize they don't the dog usually suffers . Again these are not a first time dog to get for someone that does not have much expierence with agressive large dogs.

they are prone to deafness and must be tested as puppies ..

Good working breeders are hard to find and the dogo is quickly going the way of every other breed americans get a hold of that is getting breed to be over sized and not used for there original purpose and breed on single merits vs the whole package.

I caution you before seriously searching out a dogo do some real research and see if itr is the breed for you . for most people it is not

I have spent al0ot of time in the bush from alaska to the yukon to everyother place up north and out west along with Africa and asia and in my expierence a dog can be a great asset to a camp site by keeping it from being raided by barking and just its smell alone. You will not find many wild animals willing to engage a large dog hence the history of treeing mt lions baying bears and such.

In my mind a dog that will engage chase and catch an animal for your use would be a detriment and cause you problems

peoples suggestions of finding a good vocal mutt that will bark and be a good companion is the way to go for a hiker or camper

here is one of my males guarding a tent that my kids are in

camping020.jpg

same dog hanging on the boat on a river trip

camping007.jpg

my concern is not 4 legged critters its the 2 legged variety and in that case the best camp guard is not a dog its you with a 12 gauge and a shovel

camping018.jpg

Last edited:
Alright so im talking a big dog that has the potential to fight off bears wolves cougars. Throw out some suggestions and some pictures of your dog that you prefer as your woods companion would be super

Hmmmm.... fighting those off? Perhaps a Charter Arms Bulldog?

I think Dogs are more a liability than an asset on the trail.

While I have taken my dogs hiking in the past I live on a farm with LOTS of animals and when I go out for recreation in the wilderness I don't want extra responsibility.

I've had far more experiences on the trail being inconvenienced BY dogs, both mine and other peoples than ever having them help me in any way.

I was hiking with my friend not long ago, and he has a little dog and she's a great hiker but all along the trail she's chasing chip munks and running deer off.

That's sort of been my experience. Dogs more running off wildlife and upsetting the peace.

I think if I was going to CHOOSE a dog to take into the wilds rather than concentrating on one who was big enough to take a bear I'd research and find a breed that was very obedient.

In my experience many owners of big aggressive dogs have chosen them for their badass potential not their obedience and when they take after a deer, or a car or some human they have judged to be menacing it is impossible for the owner to call them back.

So, really intelligence and obedience would be my criteria over whether the animal could "take" a bear or cougar.

Obedience is prerequisite but it is often the owners that are too thick and can't learn how not to let a good dog down. Same applies to children on the casual walking trails for that matter. Although dogs vary greatly in their intellect many owners are the turd that can't take a polish. Basic stuff is basic stuff.

Here's some regular domestic pets having a go on the course on the 2nd of this month.

told38.jpg

It is always interesting to sit on a dog discussion. I see Chow and Akita mentioned and these are the only breeds I have ever had personal experience of attacks without provocation BUT it was bad owner, not bad dogs.

I also had a Boxer I adored but had to find a BIG farm home for her. Our 3 acres were not enough for her :) I loved that girl but she would destroy a boat anchor when she got bored. Adopted parents sent us updates for a couple of years and she was living large on a big horse farm.

One of the most personable and intuitive listeners I ever had was a Mini Schnauzer. Brave but smart- would stand down and accept people as soon as I let him know it was OK. Liked attention but would never bug people.
Another brave and smart dog was a Wire Haired Terrier on our farm. As a kid I watched her deal with ticked off Black Angus bulls and make them look stupid.

An aggressive and capable dog is like a firearm- a wonderful thing and great for protection but also come with much owner responsibility.

2Door

Don't believe most of what you read in current breed standards as far as breed history and abilitied, its fanciful at best. Secondly, many working and hunting dog breeds have been changed by American breeders. Lastly, hardcore dogs such as kangals, dogos, presas, belgians, pits, etc take a huge commitment and a very savvy owner that understands their drives and ativistic behaviors. Please, truly examine your motives and capabilities before getting such an animal.

If I still lived on a farm, I would LOVE to have a Ridgeback. But, like my Boxer- I am afraid it would never be happy with suburban life even with a large yard. Those animals need room to roam.

My ex and her BF recently bought a GS with no plans for any obedience training and little clue of animal behavior. I try to socialize with it just a little when I pick the kids up to avoid problems later.

For now I have just a Savannah cat- my limitation on space and time dictate what animal is best suited to me. When I have more time, another woofer will share my home :)
I do agree with the idea of a rescue dog. Any dog is full of potential, they want to please and be part of your family and most are willing to learn and adapt to be a part.
2Door

This shot is AWESOME!
Look at the look on his face.... "YEAH you better stay down!"
:thumbup:

Was that your Christmas photo? Just look at his eyes to see what being on the hunt does to a man. On the other hand, the deer looks pretty relaxed.

I think Dogs are more a liability than an asset on the trail.

While I have taken my dogs hiking in the past I live on a farm with LOTS of animals and when I go out for recreation in the wilderness I don't want extra responsibility.

I've had far more experiences on the trail being inconvenienced BY dogs, both mine and other peoples than ever having them help me in any way.

I was hiking with my friend not long ago, and he has a little dog and she's a great hiker but all along the trail she's chasing chip munks and running deer off.

That's sort of been my experience. Dogs more running off wildlife and upsetting the peace.

I think if I was going to CHOOSE a dog to take into the wilds rather than concentrating on one who was big enough to take a bear I'd research and find a breed that was very obedient.

In my experience many owners of big aggressive dogs have chosen them for their badass potential not their obedience and when they take after a deer, or a car or some human they have judged to be menacing it is impossible for the owner to call them back.

So, really intelligence and obedience would be my criteria over whether the animal could "take" a bear or cougar.

Many of the "big agressive" dogs are actually very intelligent. Guard dogs are for the most part all very intelligent. Many of the dogs considered to be the most agressive are on the top ten smartest dogs list like the dobie, the rottie, and GSD.

It seems that people are so caught up on the dog fighting the bear, lion or w/e. I understand the op was talking about that, but there is a much better alternative for you and the dog. Any bear is going to kill any dog in a 1v1 fight. They are just much larger, stronger, and built to defend themselves and kill for food. If you want a dog that will attack an animal make sure they only do it on command.

I still say a Rhodesian would be a great companion for you, but that aside. You want a dog that will warn you of danger, bark at it, and even harass if it comes down to that. This will draw the bears attention away from you giving you time to shoot the bear. Most likely the bear will look at you and the dog and take off. They don't want to take any risks they don't have to. You don't want a dog that will blindly charge in and die or force a confrontation. I agree with others that training is key to any choice you make.

As for running game off, that all depends on training as well. If you have your dog walking behind you and trained to be silent when heeling then they wouldn't run anything off that you haven't already alerted to your presence. I don't have my dog trained to track yet so he stays home on the deer hunts. When I'm just backpacking and want the dangers (bear, lion, w/e) to stay as a distance I let him run around chasing anything he wishes. I have never worried about him running off. He tends to stay about 50-100 yards or so and comes back to check on me.

Back