1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Best EDC knife?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by DIYknife, Sep 12, 2014.

1. DIYknife

DIYknife

Sep 1, 2014
    Looking for a nice light reliable EDC. I've been looking at the Kershaw Skyline and the SOG Flash II, that's about my ideal price. Which one is better and/or are there better knives? I'd also be interested to know what you guys carry.

2. KingMC

KingMC The Pun-isher Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Rat 2 or Delica 4 are both great, the delica is more than your choices and the Rat is less than your choices.

3. WuGod

WuGod

Aug 10, 2014
    Use has a lot to do with recommendations. As do local knife laws and personal preferences.
    In the 3 inch blade pocket knife under $50 range Id say bk14. No idea if you can carry it or are only looking for
    a folder. Some perameters would be nice.

4. fuzzynuk

fuzzynuk

Jul 17, 2014
    I second the rat! Or esee zancuda which is about the same size as the rat 2

5. DIYknife

DIYknife

Sep 1, 2014
    Blade length limit is 3.5" where I live.

6. TheJeepster

TheJeepster Banned BANNED

May 10, 2014
    Jeeps Rule!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  7. WuGod

WuGod

Aug 10, 2014
    Then I still say bk14. Carry it cross draw on your belt and it will be the best lil knife you ever carried for 90% of everything you ever carried a knife for.

8. DIYknife

DIYknife

Sep 1, 2014
    Also looking for a folding knife because I'm young and it would look kind of sketchy for me to carry a fixed knife whereas I can hide a folding.

9. WuGod

WuGod

Aug 10, 2014
    For me most people ignore a fixed, might as well be a kitxhen knife. Spring out an assisted folder? "Why are you carrying a switchblade?"

10. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Recon 1 mini.

11. Liquidm1980

Liquidm1980

Jun 26, 2005
    for the price it is hard to beat a delica. the one hand opening (l or r), blade steel, slim profile and weight are amazing. if you use a clip you can mount it anyway you want. plus if you lose it i am sure its a lot less painful then losing a sebenza.

12. EChoil

EChoil Banned BANNED

May 22, 2014
    RATS 1 & 2, Utilitac, Avispa, Zancudo, Recon, Mule.....

13. GaryC

GaryC

Dec 29, 2004
    Kershaw Skyline is great for light edc, no worries springs breaking, spearpoint blade is excellent. I have a Skyline Damacus, no issues at all. Like Liquidm1980 said, Syderco Delica is another option. I go with the ffg blade. That's me. Gary

14. snooka

snooka

Jun 1, 2013
    Delica for sure, and if you are in some area that's a little "knife sensitive" it just dissapears in your pocket without the clip showing ;)
    Or a Spyderco ambicious or something...

Good luck

15. flarp

flarp

Sep 7, 2011
    I like the Skyline more than the Flash II.

Some other ideas - all in the $20-40 range, with the exception of the Delica, which is closer to $55.

[​IMG]

Left to right: Cryo, CQC-5K, Zancudo, RAT-2, Leek, Delica, Volt II, OSO Sweet, Dozier Folding Hunter, Skyline, Cryo II, CQC-6K, Injection 3.5, Flash II, Blur, Avispa, RAT-1

From my experiences carrying and using these, my top picks for a beefier, more rugged-feeling knife would be the Blur, CQC-6K, and RAT-1. For a more compact, easy-to carry knife, the Leek, Skyline, and Delica would be my picks.

There's a large range here, obviously. Are there other attributes you're looking at, other than $40 or under and 3.5" blade or under?

16. DIYknife

DIYknife

Sep 1, 2014
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'm going to add another ideal attribute: fast opening. This doesn't necessarily mean assisted opening.

17. flarp

flarp

Sep 7, 2011
    Ones with the wave opening (eg. CQC-5K or CQC-6K) are going to be the fastest opening folders. Pull the knife from your pocket, and it's open. Otherwise, for all practical purposes any automatics, assisted-opener, or flipper or flickable blade are going to open just as fast. The benefit of A/O is more consistent opening and lock-up without having to pay as much attention to opening technique.

18. Spyderco-man

Spyderco-man

Feb 3, 2013
    I have both the Skyline and the FlashII. Both really good. The Sog is assisted and opens quick. It's very light and rides low in the pocket. The skyline is a flipper so it opens as fast as you want it to. I prefer the Skyline.

19. Mic77

Mic77

Mar 7, 2013
    I would not buy an Emerson from Emerson but Kershaw makes some great folders that have the wave which is the fastest way to open a knife even faster than any auto. The Kershaws have a better lock than real Emersons all though they are made I think in china I bet they will be a great EDC. And if you want a little higher end ZT makes an Emerson knock off which I guarantee will be better than the original. I love the wave opener all knives should have them but I don't care for Emersons knives. Emersons (except for the Comrade CQC 12) have Cheap locks cheap feeling and what the hell can we please sharpen both sides of the blade or at least make it an option. Sorry got on a rant. Check out ZT or Kershaw Spyderco makes a few knives with the wave as well Delica 4 is one I know of you cant go wrong there for the price.

20. Rasco

Rasco

Jan 3, 2014
    Go Skyline. You won't regret it.

It will also teach you how to open a non-assisted flipper, which is a handy skill if you plan on going forward into the knife world :p