Best EDC Pants/Shorts?

This is a good thread. I have yet find good pants. I don't like Levis all that much. The Kuhls are bad too, they come unbuttoned all the time and are not stretchy. The Bear Grylls pants came close, but the zippers will tear up your hands and the non zippered pockets are for looking cool, they wouldn't hold a wad of double stick tape. At least they're stretchy. After reading a overly positive review of them on woodsmonkey, I haven't read another review of that sight again. Other craghopper pants may be worth looking at. I have some REI ones that look like slacks with nearly hidden zippered pockets and reasonable side pockets. The problem is the YKK zippers suck. They completely unzip in an almost magical way all by themselves. The LAPG cargo pants look promising I'm waiting to try the pair with the lower leg pockets.

Either Carhartt (Made in the USA, not the ones you buy at the Big chains-look at the labels) or Bailey's Wild Ass. I like having the ruler pocket on the side.

for hot humid... Bass Pro's second line of World Wide Sportsmen.... Boca Grande Shorts... nylon, and wear exceptionally well... pocket is a little shallow for for a pistol though....

I've gotten a lot of good use with True-Spec BDU pants. I have a pair of camo pants that are 7-8 years old. they are just now looking faded and starting to wear thin.

Get the polyester/cotton blends, the 100% cotton ones I tried wore out quickly.

Ric

Dickies carpenter jeans work for me. So do Costco jeans.

Another +1 to Tru-spec pants, the 24-7 polycotton pants has been a lot more comfortable compared to jeans in humid weather, jeans tend to soak up all the sweat and retain it. There's plenty of pockets and don't have that full cargo pants look at the front, the 2 tool pockets tend to be a bit small so it doesn't look so obvious when not in use, it'll fit a Surefire G2/G3 and a Spyderco Tenacious quite snuggly, anything bigger won't fit. The cargo pockets however are very large and have small dividers so can accomodate a lot of gear when you need, when you don't have anything the bellows expanding thing makes it remain flat. There's no gussetted crotch though so bl if you need to ninja kick anyone in the face.

I've done well w/ Gap relaxed-fit jeans. I've been wearing a couple of older pair of 5.11 pants lately. The Duluth Trading Co. Firehose jeans full-on freaking rock. As do some super old school L.L. Bean khaki jeans. Also got a super price on a pair of Vertx pants. Haven't worn them much. The Vertx shorts are great. The 2 pair of TAD Spartan shorts get a lot of wear, as do a couple of pair of 5.11 shorts. And I have a pair of Bill's Khaki's shorts that will well outlive me.

far as i'm concerned, whatever pants i put on in the morning are gonna be the pants i use that day.

when i want to look good, whatever designer jeans i can find a dela on. flypaper-lucky-aeropostale-diesel. theres alot to be said for just looking good.

from a functional perspective 5.11 taclites are just amazing pants. i wear the long pants out in the woods and during the summer i wear almost exclusivley taclite shorts unless i am trying to get laid then its back to designer denim.

if i had more money id most liekly be rocking more tad gear clothing. i also have an appreciation for kuhls.

I regularly carry fixed blades at work with my BDU's and when I carry a blade bigger than 6" I use a leg tie or strap, either a paracord with cord lock or heavy duty nylon strap. The problem with this is the cord tends to slide down after a while and ends snagging at the knee. What I do is thread the cord over the front button of the side cargo pocket, under the flap, but this doesn't work when I carry a knife that has a drop leg strap. I wish some company would make pants with a strap holder at the front of the flap on the side cargo pocket; I might try to sew a little strap on one of my bdu's and see how it works.

Lee carpenter pants( NYC concealed carry pants ). The tool pocket on right leg allows me to drop a large folder right into it completely concealed with no printing.

I use a Blood Diamond Pants. It's the best EDC pants out there. If its good enough for LD, its good enough for me.

I use a Blood Diamond Pants. It's the best EDC pants out there. If its good enough for LD, its good enough for me.
Ah BDPs, I only wear them when I manipulate an African fisherman to find a big diamond for myself, then get shot and give the diamond to the fisherman even though he refuses to leave me behind and I'll respond with "ya ya".

TAD Force 10's. There are pockets inside of pockets, they look great, are as comfortable as all get out (gusseted crotch for full range of motion and ninja kicks as noted above) and they take a beating! They have different weights for the seasons too. Sporting the heavy twill for winter and the NYCO Ripstop and Amphibious in the warmer temps. They also come in shorts.

Last edited:
Love the Tru-Spec 24/7 poly/cotton rip stop pants. These are by far the most comfortable pant I've worn and are really light weight. I wear shorts whenever possible and I hate (HATE!!!) wearing jeans/pants but I will wear these without complaining. The stretch waistband is amazing and I repeat AMAZING!. The cargo pockets don't stick out and look all baggy. The pants overall aren't that baggy and just fit perfect (me anyways). I like the pockets and how they don't just scream tactical pants.
They fit me much better than the 5.11 and I like the looks better.

Things I don't like or wish were different. 1. I wish one of the knife pockets(Just one) were slightly wider and deeper. 2. Wish it had a gusseted crotch 3. Extra material on the hand pockets for clipped items (like the 5.11's).

Back