Best Folding Prybar

I know, I know, right tool for the job, a knife is the most expensive and least effective prybar you'll ever buy (break), a knife is not a prybar, get a fixed blade, etc.....

So, beyond all that, what's the best folding prybar, for those times when a folding prybar is what's gonna get used?

------------------
Jason aka medusaoblongata
-----------------------
"To give is a need, to receive is mercy." - Thus Spoke Zarathustra

Let the beatings begin.

------------------

have a"knife"day

I'm ready for 'em, but could you throw some suggestions in there amidst the beatings as well. I'm thinkin' maybe a REKAT Carnie Cub when they come out in D2?

------------------
-----------------------

How about a Buck 110?They are pretty stout.

------------------

have a"knife"day

Two words: Buck Strider.
smile.gif

------------------
A Pat on the Back is only a few inches from a Kick in the Butt.

Two bigger, heavier words..Al Mar Sere! or three

------------------
You could put nacho cheese sauce on it...

Of all my knives , I would have to also say the Buck Strider. When you look at it one word come to mind, tough.

Agreed, if it's a pure folding pry bar you want, the Strider is all you need.

I have a Microtech LCC, it's tough enough for every abuse I throw at it. Good enough for me.

[This message has been edited by tallwingedgoat (edited 02-27-2001).]

If you want a folding prybar, get a Buck Strider. Accept no substitutes
biggrin.gif

Use the folding crate opener on the victorinox Swiss Tool or a CRKT M-16 metal or zytel handle KIT CARSON if you must. A Strider will pry but it's hard to get a start with the thick blade. Also it's too good a knife! Or get a BKT TAC-TOOL or Buck blunt tip INTREPID you crazy man!
biggrin.gif
BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!
wink.gif

After reading Cliff Stamp's review of the Buck Strider, I don't think that, or any other liner lock, would be the best choice for this purpose. Any other ideas?

------------------
-----------------------

"Cutting his throat is only a momentary pleasure and is bound to get you talked about." - Lazarus Long

"Knowledge is not made for understanding; it is made for cutting." - Michel Foucault

I like you, BUT YOU ARE BUSTING MY BALLS!
tongue.gif
A ARC-LOCK, AXIS LOCK, REKAT ROLLING PIN, LOCKBACK, KERSHAW VAULT LOCK, SPYDERCO COMPRESSION LOCK, LINER LOCK, FRAME LOCK, INTERGRAL LOCK, OPINEL& COLD STEEL LOCKING TWIST COLLAR ect...... IS NOT GOING TO BE IDEAL TO USE AS A PRYBAR BECAUSE IT"S A FOLDER! USE A FIXED BLADE. GO TO SEARS OR HOME DEPOT AND GET A PRYBAR! Whew! No offense-take care!
biggrin.gif

Hey there,
Just a quick note regarding liner locks and prying. (I always try to keep it simple).

When was the last time, that in one motion, you attempted to:
1. Pry
2. Twist
3. Push the blade 180degrees closed on your hand.
Can you do it?
Of course. But it takes effort.
It's just like everything else in life, if you try hard enough at it, you WILL hurt yourself.

Carpe Diem

Mick

Mick,

You obviously underestimate this combined groups ability to find ways to damage their knives and themselves.
wink.gif

If a lock CAN fail someone will use the knife hard enough to make it fail.

I believe that Chevy Trucks had a commercial a while back about the 1% that are more demanding than the other 99% combined.

BladeForums is the home of the 0.1% of the Knife World.
biggrin.gif

------------------
AKTI Member No. A000370

I recall a post by someone who threw a folding knife into a tree 'to see if it would stick'. The knife broke. He seemed to think there was some sort of reasonable use clause in the warranty that entitled him to a free replacement. I don't remember what brand it was, but that guy certainly could have used a folding prybar.

Paracelsus

Hey, this topic got me thinking-- has anyone actually produced a folding prybar? It certainly seems to be a popular use for knives, though one for which they are not particulary well suited. Why not dispense with the blade concept entirely and actually make a small folding prybar? If the blade wasn't an issue, you could make the prybar as thick as you wanted. If it was a "tactical" folding prybar, it would probably sell like the proverbial hotcakes. Of course the name would be important-- something really tough, hmmmm... crow-bar... how about "Crow-Mag"?
smile.gif

Josh

One of the windows in my apartment tends to freeze shut in winter, and I've used my CQC-7B to pry it open on numerous occasions. The key to prying with a folder is not to hold the knife by the handle. I just stick the tip in, choke up on the blade and carefully lever the window open. This way there is no stress on the lock whatsoever...

Back