Best Folding Prybar

Josh Feltman:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Why not dispense with the blade concept entirely and actually make a small folding prybar? If the blade wasn't an issue, you could make the prybar as thick as you wanted. </font>

The blade is not the weakest point, it is the lock that is the problem.

-Cliff

You know the old saying about something being idiot-proof? Nature can always build a better idiot.

Get the STRIDER Custom Folder. There is no comparison anywhere. Check the Strider area in the forums to see a pick.

S/F

out

Sorry about getting angry in my last two posts, but I am trying to save you a trip to the E.R.
frown.gif
Folders have gotten so stong lately that the locks can hold 100's of lbs. of stress and can be viable choppers. But when you pry, you subject the lock to lateral stress. If you built a pivot pin, handle, and stop strong enough for this it would be bulkier than carring a fixed blade! Another knife some people use for OCCASIONAL LIGHT prying is a large or extra-large Cold Steel Voyager. The lock and pivot are over built. The AUS-8 blade and Zytel handle will flex enough during heavy stress to give you a warning and to not break suddenly. Please be careful!
biggrin.gif

I seem to remember the Jones Brothers building some folders, the prototype of which they had a helluva time trying to destroy (as in, I don't think they ever managed to destroy it). That included throwing it against wood (not into, although I think it stuck a few times), prying, banging, chopping, etc. When they finished, it was still together, a little looser, but the lock still worked. All this is as I recall it, which may actually be incorrectly. You could probably do a search over in the custom forum for Jones and find the thread.

Also, seeing them at a couple of shows, if I remember corectly, their folders were along the lines of the Buck Strider, but beefier, although not as beefy as the Strider CUSTOM folders.

------------------
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce
Most dog owners are at length able to teach themselves to obey their dog. - Robert Morley

iktomi

Mr.44 has it right about how to pry with a folder.I'm sure the Strider is the best,but a tanto CS Voyager has worked well for me.Heres one example,we got a call for a child struck not far from the firehouse.Due to traffic and a narrow street we had to park the rig a few houses from the scene,we grabbed our gear and walked down to the child.I tried to open the trauma box but the latches would not release,now I could have gotten anything from a screwdriver to a 4 foot prybar off the rig but I did not want to take the time to walk back to it.So out comes the Cs flick,click jam it behind latch number one twist,pop,open on to number two same thing.I must say I was glad I was not carrying my AFCK that night.For the money its hard to beat CS.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lone Hunter:
For the money its hard to beat CS.</font>

Unless it is a Spyderco.
biggrin.gif

I would say the Benchmade 710 in M2 steel is one tough knife also.

------------------
Dennis Bible

mylogosmall.gif

Ditto Shootist16 on the Spyderco.
smile.gif

Admit it...we all pry with our folders, to some extent. And we all no it's not a good (or safe) thing to do. All that aside, the Buck Strider would appear to be as stout a folder as any out there.

Paul

I'll resist comment on mis-using expensive tools and suggest a look at the SOG Tomcat as being pretty stout, and per your request, it is a not a liner lock, but a spine/rocker lock.
http://www.sogknives.com/highend.htm

The old AlMar SERE's were also pretty stout and had spine/rocker locks.

Alright you got me,I own quite a few Spydies too thank you.But I was thinking CS vs. the Strider,dollar for dollar.

How about the old Spyderco Probe, if you can find one. It actually IS a prybar with a folding serrated sheepsfoot blade built into it.

phantom4

------------------
who dares, wins

Actually, it will be the BUSSE folder once it comes out, and thats all I gotta say about that,.......

------------------
blademan_007

Another vote for Buck/Strider!

------------------
If firearms cause crime, then matches cause arson.

Back