Best Folding Saw?

I figure this is the best place to ask this. I need a new saw to replace my Gerber pocket saw. It has served me well, but it is getting to where it won't lock open when I slide the blade forward. What are the best ones in that size that are available?

Last edited:
Silky saws are always talked up, but I've never used one.

I have liked the Corona brand of saw, they have a large folding version that can really cut! It's a bit big, though, not quite as packable as the slide saw.

I usually use my Fiskars slide saw, I think the same as the one you are using.

silky is the way to go, top quality and fast! I have a friend who's an arborist and uses them almost exclusively.

IMG_3814.jpg

IMG_3812.jpg

Silky saws are always talked up, but I've never used one.

I have liked the Corona brand of saw, they have a large folding version that can really cut! It's a bit big, though, not quite as packable as the slide saw.

I usually use my Fiskars slide saw, I think the same as the one you are using.

Coronas are really really good saws, and available at Lowes.

I would have to say the Silky saw, although there are others who really like Corona's. I use a Silky Super Accel 210, and couldn't be happier: best saw I've ever used.

I know many people like the Corona saw and have good personal success with them however I would like to share my experience with them.

Very sharp, cuts quickly. Blade on mine bent while crosscutting birch logs in the 3-4" range. I was amazed, the thing just kinked. It made cutting the rest of the wood quite a chore. I wouldn't depend on it after that. I now carry my wetterlings LH with me.

Again, I am not knocking the Corona saw. I am just sharing my personal experience with one.

Paul

Another vote for the Silky super accel 210. I bought one for my son a couple years ago and it has worked great. I was really surprised at the difference in the ease of cutting between the Silky and some of my other saws.

I know many people like the Corona saw and have good personal success with them however I would like to share my experience with them.

Very sharp, cuts quickly. Blade on mine bent while crosscutting birch logs in the 3-4" range. I was amazed, the thing just kinked. It made cutting the rest of the wood quite a chore. I wouldn't depend on it after that. I now carry my wetterlings LH with me.

Again, I am not knocking the Corona saw. I am just sharing my personal experience with one.

Paul

I've had this problem with my Gerber and my Fiskars. No matter how little pressure I put on them they'll tend to bend and kink. I'm now thinking of a buck saw. Buck saws can cut larger pieces anyway.

Thanks. I knew I could count on you guys on this forum for some good options. I think I'll check out Silky and Opinel.

I figure this is the best place to ask this. I need a new saw to replace my Gerber pocket saw. It has served me well, but it is getting to where it won't lock open when I slide the blade forward. What are the best ones in that size that are available?

It's warrenteed for life. Send it back to Gerber and they'll send you a new one. Free.

Not a folding saw but the Cabelas fixed big game saw is outstanding. It has teeth on both sides.
Scott

It's warrenteed for life. Send it back to Gerber and they'll send you a new one. Free.

Really? I didn't know that. Actually, it says Fiskars on the handle, but I think they are the same company. All this time I was thinking it was a Gerber.

Really? I didn't know that. Actually, it says Fiskars on the handle, but I think they are the same company. All this time I was thinking it was a Gerber.

fiskars owns gerber but i would reccomand a bacho laplander saw i realy like it you can get one with a kershaw logo on it for $20 give or take

Old thread revived.

Horn dog you are a wise old wood destroying master on the forums. I trust your opinion about what saw to get. I have used folding bow saws for years but still dont have a small folding saw. I was looking at the Bahco Laplander and the silky saws as my two best options. What did you end up with?

Thanks,
Zach

I believe Ray Mears uses a Bahco Laplander. If it's good enough for Ray it's probably going to get the job done. A word on personal experience - don't get a SOG. :thumbdn:

That is my first thought and exactly the man I saw using the folding saw that brought this up in my mind. In Alaska we usually travel by machine of some sort and space is usually not a problem. So this is a new area for me.

Haven't used them but i did some research. I'd go with a Bahco or a Silky. They both seem to do the job perfectly!

Back