Best Folding Saw?

Silky all the way. They eat anything. You can cut up fullsized trees with a Big Boy in no time flat.

Any of you guys with a SUPER ACCEL 210 know the overall length closed on it? Says it has a 8.3" blade. Wondering if it's around 9" closed. I have a small shoulder bag that has room for one more tool that's around 9" or so overall. Would love to toss a silky in there and want to get as large a one as I can squeeze in there.

Any of you guys with a SUPER ACCEL 210 know the overall length closed on it? Says it has a 8.3" blade. Wondering if it's around 9" closed. I have a small shoulder bag that has room for one more tool that's around 9" or so overall. Would love to toss a silky in there and want to get as large a one as I can squeeze in there.

Just did a quick measurement on mine for you. The best I can come up with just using a tape measure is 9 3/8 inches overall, closed.

Are you guys with the Silky Saws using a particular blade or do you use both the fine and coarse depending on the type of wood? I know they recommend coarse for green/live wood and fine for harder/dead wood, but was wondering if you're getting by ok with either type of saw on most wood types?
I ask because I've been considering getting a Silky and was trying to decide if to get several blade types.
Right now I have the Gerber/Fiskars sliding saw for work around the house and it has done the job well for me. I just ordered two more, one for my emergency kit and one for my bro in law who tried mine out this past summer when he was helping me cut down some old trees in my yard and really liked it.

Are you guys with the Silky Saws using a particular blade or do you use both the fine and coarse depending on the type of wood? I know they recommend coarse for green/live wood and fine for harder/dead wood, but was wondering if you're getting by ok with either type of saw on most wood types?
I ask because I've been considering getting a Silky and was trying to decide if to get several blade types.
Right now I have the Gerber/Fiskars sliding saw for work around the house and it has done the job well for me. I just ordered two more, one for my emergency kit and one for my bro in law who tried mine out this past summer when he was helping me cut down some old trees in my yard and really liked it.

I'm just using the large tooth blade, which seems to cut dry hardwood — or anything else I throw at it — just fine. If you're getting one, it wouldn't hurt to get a spare blade in fine tooth as a backup, but I haven't needed that yet. Maybe I never will.

I have a yellow big boy. if memory serves me it has extra coarse teeth. I find on really seasoned wood it cuts slower than on green stuff. But let's face it... slow for a silky is still faster than most other saws. The things eat EVERYTHING in their path. They don't rust or really don't get dull either. Wonderful little tools. I own a Gerber (which is a good little saw) and a fiskars (Which I thought was a giant piece of junk)... I'd rather have one silky than 10 of either of those.

Depends on if you're gonna be cutting a lot of super hard seasoned wood. If so coarse teeth are gonna make you work a little harder. Coarse or Medium are the way to go for general utility. Medium is gonna do better on hard seasoned stuff, and coarse on green stuff. But either will cut anything you throw at it. I'm probably gonna my a smaller medium like the SA210 to go along with my XC Big Boy.

Just did a quick measurement on mine for you. The best I can come up with just using a tape measure is 9 3/8 inches overall, closed.

Thanks bro... If memory serves me I can fit something up to 9.5 in my maxpedition neat freak... should work just fine. Again, appreciate the measurements.

I have a yellow big boy. if memory serves me it has extra coarse teeth. I find on really seasoned wood it cuts slower than on green stuff. But let's face it... slow for a silky is still faster than most other saws. The things eat EVERYTHING in their path. They don't rust or really don't get dull either. Wonderful little tools. I own a Gerber (which is a good little saw) and a fiskars (Which I thought was a giant piece of junk)... I'd rather have one silky than 10 of either of those.

Depends on if you're gonna be cutting a lot of super hard seasoned wood. If so coarse teeth are gonna make you work a little harder. Coarse or Medium are the way to go for general utility. Medium is gonna do better on hard seasoned stuff, and coarse on green stuff. But either will cut anything you throw at it. I'm probably gonna my a smaller medium like the SA210 to go along with my XC Big Boy.

Thanks man, I really appreciate the info, as I'm sure others reading this will too.
I don't plan to do a lot of cutting, that's why I just went with the Fiskars/Gerber. I'm looking at getting one of the Silkys as a "Just in case" saw, part of my growing emergency gear collection, and the occasional big cutting job.

Cheers!

You'll continue to buy them after your first. They really are good.

I have cut dry, hardwood from dead fruit trees with the largest teeth. They worked fine on hardwood in my experience. They are terrific on normal dry wood or greener wood. I would get the largest teeth you can unless you will cut ONLY extremely hard, dry wood.

I bought a spare blade with somewhat smaller teeth for my SA210 but never felt the need to try it. I may test it on bone when hunting.

DancesWithKnives

The mailman just dropped off my Fiskars sliding saws (got one for my bro in law) and my pruning shears. I didn't give it much thought when I read the description but these are bigger than the original sliding saw I bought, which must have been a 7 or 8 inch model.
The 10" ones I just got are quite a bit bigger with slightly thicker blades.
I'll have to look for some old wood to put it to work on so I can see how it performs.

EDIT: just checked and the small one is a 6" blade.

Last edited:
Well I ended up purchasing the Bahco Laplander. I could not find a dealer anywhere that could figure out how to ship the Silky Saws VIA USPS.

I have been a hard core survivalist bushcrafter bug out , ex military with a father who was black ops special forces, and threw much use and feild testing over the years and through lots of research, I have found that the absolute best folding tree saw I've ever used or heard of which no one seemed to mention is a bit expensive but worth its weight in gold is wicked tree saw and sheath combo check out the website or reviews on you tube wickedtreegear.com

The best saw I have is the Silky Ultra Accel 240 with curved blade, you can get it with a straight blade as well. This is a super saw, very robust, pack size saw. If you like saws and are a silky fan I highly suggest the Ultra Accel.

I was impressed with the looks of that Wicked saw and contacted the founder for details. I got an immediate and very nice reply. Unfortunately, they consider the Rockwell number and hardening process confidential, so you'd just have to buy one to find out how well they cut.

Back