Best Hardware Store I've Ever Seen - Harry J. Epstein Co in Kansas City

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
During the show last weekend I was driving around trying to get my bearings when I noticed a cool looking old hardware store. Long story short, I've never seen a better one. And, they will now carry our knives. Check them out please!

HJEpstein-vi.jpg

Harry J. Epstein Co. was started in 1933 in downtown Kansas City. It was originally a pawn shop that quickly morphed into a sporting goods/horse and tack operation. We sold guns, baseball gloves, rope, saddles, fishing gear, etc. It wasn't till Harry bought his first big deal of government surplus that we gradually moved into selling tools. Since then we have been dedicated to good quality US made hand tools which we supply to the local tradesman here in Kansas City, and more recently, to our online customers all over the world.

https://www.harryepstein.com/

Nice! They carry the bound Crick 48" levels. I'll have to order one thanks! No one here sells decent 4 foot levels anymore. Apparently Exact and American may have gone out of business. I have been looking for a good wooden 4 foot level for years. Thanks!

That place looks absolutely cool. I've found a few among my travels. It will be a sad day when the last mom and pop's are gone. I liken it more to the fact that people can't fix their stuff anymore rather than the big boxes have chased them out. However, it may be that the big box just makes it easier to replace the whole toilet rather than just the flush valve.....

That place looks absolutely cool. I've found a few among my travels. It will be a sad day when the last mom and pop's are gone. I liken it more to the fact that people can't fix their stuff anymore rather than the big boxes have chased them out. However, it may be that the big box just makes it easier to replace the whole toilet rather than just the flush valve.....

...easier and often (but not always) cheaper.

Congrats on signing a new dealer. Harry J. Epstein Co looks like a very cool store.

wow, thanks for sharing, I had been looking for US made nicholson bastard files for over a year! and they have it, sweet~

awesome to see more businesses carrying FBs!

Apparently... after searching around their website... They offer the great service of Box Art for free. Just make a request when you order and they will draw on your box.

I ordered some electrician's scissors. Intrigued by the Box Art offer.

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name's Jori, and my dad, my uncle and I run the Harry J. Epstein Co.
If you guys have any questions just let me know.
Really excited to get some Fiddbleback knives in the store.
If I don't keep them all for myself, I might actually offer some for sale.

The video's on the About Us page are priceless:D

What wonders must await up the old elevator, inside of that Grand old building!!

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name's Jori, and my dad, my uncle and I run the Harry J. Epstein Co.

Welcome, Jori. No one will blame you if you keep a few for yourself... but only a few! Welcome to the forum. I, and I am sure many other forum members, look forward to spending my money with you.

Last edited:

i like jori's style.... we where exchanging emails back & forth and he decided that enough of that and just gave me a call....my kind of guy

Their site should keep me occupied for a few hours. My wife will not be pleased with you. Lol.

Hi Fiddleback and Jori,
My friend and I bought the Patch and the Hiking Buddy the weekend before last. Jori, tell Matt hi from the guy he talks knives with every time I'm in. He and I last talked about Fallkniven and Helle knives, but he pointed out the Fiddlebacks and I'm definately a convert. Also, if you can get some of the 4 inch knives (specifically the Arete, Bushfinger, Ladyfinger, or Recluse) in some of the prettier materials I will be willing to take at least one of them off of your hands in January when I have more $$. I emailed Fiddleback Forge and they suggested I talk to you about ordering some of the 4 inch models. Fiddleback, thanks for making great knives and Jori, thanks for carrying them.

Hi Fiddleback and Jori,
My friend and I bought the Patch and the Hiking Buddy the weekend before last. Jori, tell Matt hi from the guy he talks knives with every time I'm in. He and I last talked about Fallkniven and Helle knives, but he pointed out the Fiddlebacks and I'm definately a convert. Also, if you can get some of the 4 inch knives (specifically the Arete, Bushfinger, Ladyfinger, or Recluse) in some of the prettier materials I will be willing to take at least one of them off of your hands in January when I have more $$. I emailed Fiddleback Forge and they suggested I talk to you about ordering some of the 4 inch models. Fiddleback, thanks for making great knives and Jori, thanks for carrying them.

Welcome to the family. Thanks for sharing the experience. Glad to see the new retailer getting these into the hands of people with great taste and an appreciation of handmade quality knives.
Oh yeah, there's a little saying around here... Pics or it didn't happen. As Fiddleback Fanatics, those on this forum like to see those Fiddlebacks put to good use or just lying around.
Always good to see new blood enjoying Fiddlebacks.

Preston

Requested pics:
22740239989_4767189022_m.jpg

22714125788_00f3dacf40_m.jpg

The Patch I picked up from Harry J Epstein

23144102041_e1a7ee61b7_m.jpg

22714135698_f1945877b8_m.jpg

22812357670_18899fd585_m.jpg

My friends Hiking Buddy

And to round out all of the knives I referenced in the original post:

22740256459_5035e02253_m.jpg

Helle Dokka (top) and Helle Gaupe
and
22714140468_25a755b53b_m.jpg

Fallkniven F1

Sorry for the poor lighting but it was the quick and dirty version to prove it happened. :) They're all nice but the Patch is the most comfortable in the hand. Can't wait to try a larger Fiddleback. Thanks for the welcome Uncle_P!

Nice! They carry the bound Crick 48" levels. I'll have to order one thanks! No one here sells decent 4 foot levels anymore. Apparently Exact and American may have gone out of business. I have been looking for a good wooden 4 foot level for years. Thanks!

Hi Fiddleback and Jori,

I can imagine that I'd be in that store every time I was nearby just to look around and talk knives too. Glad to meet you, and welcome aboard.

That Patch is nice. I have a Helle Cork handle, so it floats. Some great 4 inch models to choose from in the Fiddleback lineup. Hope you get a Grail.

Back