Best Hardware Store I've Ever Seen - Harry J. Epstein Co in Kansas City

They're a great bunch of guys and they carry some things you don't see anywhere else in the area. For those who aren't local it's worth browsing their website. Takes awhile since there's a lot there, but that isn't a complaint. I found them looking for a place that carries Mora knives in the KC area on the net. They carry a lot of them at good prices as well as Opinel, and it was very cool to see they've become a Fiddleback dealer. It's nice be able to get good cheap knives and good handmade knives at the same place. For cheap knives Moras are comfortable and sharp and Fiddlebacks speak for themselves. Can't deny I'm a knife addict but there's worse addictions. The Patch was my first handmade/custom knife but it won't be the last. I have some nice production knives but the Patch is so comfortable to work with it's taken over for the foreseeable future. :)

That Patch is nice. I have a Helle Cork handle, so it floats. Some great 4 inch models to choose from in the Fiddleback lineup. Hope you get a Grail.
You really can't see it given the poor light I was working with and my phones camera didn't pick up the details in the handle, but thanks. Good choice on the Helle. I've been meaning to get one of those for river trips but keep forgetting about them. If you don't already know, Ragweed Forge is a pretty good place to go for Helles and other knives from that part of the world. He has some interesting info on his site as well. Ragnar (the owner) is a cool guy with a good sense of humor. Anyway, I'm not sure what my Grail would be but I'm partial to elder or maple burl or burlap micarta handles, drop points (occasionally spear points) and a lot of the different liners Fiddleback uses so I'm not terribly hard to please. I'm going to see what they say at Epstein's about future orders and go from there. Nice to be able to see the knives in person and support a local business. Best wishes on any current or future Grail hunting. :)

Epstein seems like a great shop. I had a small hiccup with shipping safety on an Epstein order but I believe it has been resolved. Their inventory is impressive and they are a pleasure to deal with.

Last edited:
I realize that this is an old post but I could not forgive myself if I didn't give Epsteins a little comment. I still buy tools from them now and again, but at my last job we would outfit large construction outages several times a year, and my company used them for decades. Whether you are buying 1 hammer or 200, they are right there ready to help you. Ken would drop deliveries off on his way home, Steve would bring items home and leave them buy his garage door for me,... greatest store ever!!!!!

Hi Fiddleback and Jori,
My friend and I bought the Patch and the Hiking Buddy the weekend before last. Jori, tell Matt hi from the guy he talks knives with every time I'm in. He and I last talked about Fallkniven and Helle knives, but he pointed out the Fiddlebacks and I'm definately a convert. Also, if you can get some of the 4 inch knives (specifically the Arete, Bushfinger, Ladyfinger, or Recluse) in some of the prettier materials I will be willing to take at least one of them off of your hands in January when I have more $$. I emailed Fiddleback Forge and they suggested I talk to you about ordering some of the 4 inch models. Fiddleback, thanks for making great knives and Jori, thanks for carrying them.

Nice! You have to get your hands on a Sneaky Pete. Feels so good in the hand that I'm always a bit bummed when I have to re-sheath it.

Back