Best knife for long-term camping?

You guys already know what I'm going to say...

Benchmade 202 Leuku.

Plus a smaller knife/multitool of course, and a small sharpening stone of some sort. Actually for that kind if extended trip, I'd pack a small axe like a GB small forest or similar.

Good luck!

If the trip is overseas, I would bring a couple Victorinox folders and several fixed blade Mora’s (Eldris, Companion, Bushcraft, Garberg).

These are great knives, and will make excellent gifts for people you meet and for barter.

Last time I was traveling by backpack overseas, everyone I met loved my gear and any little piece of gear I could giveaway to locals I did (some at the very end of my trip). Ferro rods, knives, stove, etc. are highly prized outside of the US.

What part of the world are you going to be in and what sort of task would you expect to complete with your knife? Will you need to port and carry your stuff, or will you have access to transportation or resupply?

My first decision would be to go with a fixed blade rather than a folder. Beyond that, it would depend on whether I would be processing food, meat, wood or need to do clearing.

n2s

If you are already bringing along an axe or hatchet, then I think you won't need anything more than a good, light 3.5 inch to 4 inch fixed blade. Something like an ESEE 3 or 3HM (I prefer the 3HM handle) and maybe add a smaller neck knife like an Izula or Candiru.

One of the guys earlier mentioned Carothers aka CPK knives. You want a knife to stand up to it and hold an edge and something that will take the abuse, Carothers is it. I'd take a FK2 and a light to medium chopper. 3V steel will hold up and doesn't take anything exotic to sharpen it so.....

Knives in this kind of situation fall into a group where I just wouldn't cut corners. My dad said to areas you don't scrimp on is your back and your feet. If those are screwed up, everything else sucks. Therefore you don't cut corners on your mattress or your work shoes.
If your camping that long and your knives are crap, you my friend are in for a rough trip. (get good shoes too, lol)

Last edited:
Lots of great suggestions have been made already- as long as you have a way to maintain an edge there are lots of completely viable choices. For me, I’d take an ESEE 3 in S35VN with TKC extended scales, and a SAK. Combined with a good axe you’d be just fine for 6 months, IMHO.

Since you can plan ahead, I'd definitely go with a hatchet in place of the large chopper. Then a medium-sized fixed blade in stainless like an ESEE 3 or 4 in S35. Not seeing any reason for a folder at all. I'd pack a stone in its place. Maybe an orange-handled Mora for kitchen duty if you have the extra space for something slicey.

Reactions: sv4
Lionsteel T5
Hey yall. I have an opportunity to go on a very extended camping trip. (6 months to year, year and a half) I've posted in the axe n hatchet forum for ideas on a good long term camp axe; now its time for knives!! So, based on yalls testing and experience, what are some good choices? Thanks in advance!! I should also add money is not an issue, i will be testing multiple knives and gear for about a week or so in my properties woods before i make real decisions, keeping the items that pass.

Jay

I have a fake BUCK 119 I'll give to you.
Pay postage and it's yours.
The only thing you need to do is make a sign that will last awhile in my honor wherever you are going?
Where are you going by the way (I don't think I want my name on anything in the likes of Epsteins island)?

IMGP1422.jpg

Decent performing knives :
3 knife load out ..

1) Reasonably sized / weight sheath knife
2) Mora / probably stainless ... for most of your chores
3) A decent pocket knife ( pictured a D2 Parrot ) Works well with a 22 deg bevel .

The Mora is the work knife , simply because that's what it is designed for and edge maintenance is not that hard .
And if all knives have a fresh edge , then stropping is all you might need for a few months . ( Or more ? )

For me it would depend greatly on whether or not there would be a base camp or if this would be a constantly moving camp. If a base camp was set up and you didn’t have to haul all of your gear all of the time, my choices would be different compared to being on the move constantly. Also, what part of the world.

Base camp in the woods in the mountains: folding saw, axe/hatchet, small fixed blade (ie izula, candiru, etc.), and a fixed blade in the 4-5” blade length. I would go with a steel that is easy to sharpen.

Base camp in tropical area: probably a folding saw, machete, and the same knife selection.

If you are going to be on the move all the time, with all your gear on your back, then I would probably have a small fixed blade knife in the pocket or around the neck, a 4-5 inch belt knife, a folding saw in the pack.

IMGP1422.jpg

Decent performing knives :
3 knife load out ..

1) Reasonably sized / weight sheath knife
2) Mora / probably stainless ... for most of your chores
3) A decent pocket knife ( pictured a D2 Parrot ) Works well with a 22 deg bevel .

The Mora is the work knife , simply because that's what it is designed for and edge maintenance is not that hard .
And if all knives have a fresh edge , then stropping is all you might need for a few months . ( Or more ? )

I like the look of that top knife. Which model is it?

A Busse Combat Battle Mistress 10” will do everything a hatchet to small axe will do plus handle general camp knife duties and all of the hard use tasks. The Carrothers Behemother is the other to consider. The ability to actually buy either may be the determining factor. I have both, and like both. The Busse is thicker and well capable of serving as a shovel or pry bar if needed. The Behemother is the better cutting more knife like of the two, but still very stout.

Also take a simple carbon steel knife that is easy to sharpen. A basic carbon steel pocket knife with a 3-4” blade is very handy. I did a 30 day mountaineering course with a Puma folder with a 3” carbon blade.

The Becker/Kabar Kephart is another to consider.

A soft stainless kitchenish knife such as Victorinox merits a look too.

Add a multitool with screwdriver bits like the Leatherman Wave and a DMT folding two-sided sharpener.

A Silky folding saw is very handy.

Survivorcord is a good product that does more than 550 cord. Some sort of cord is invaluable as is a ferro rod and a pancho.

Back